SAS naked and bound in training

The sleep deprivation and endurace exercises I've done have been excruciating. Your brain goes fuzzy, you get blank spots in your short term memory, you feel like you've got no strength at all. It gets to a point where it is pouring rain at 5am in the morning and they give you a chance to catch some sleep but you don't care, you just lie on the ground without even taking pack or webbing off and get soaked. Then as soon as you're asleep the bastards wake you up and tell you that your being hit by inderect fire and you've gotta bug out. It just keeps going on and on like this. And this is just a sample of what the SAS do, it doesn't even touch on the difficulty of interogation training, so I have nothing but massive respect for what is without a doubt some of the worlds hardest training.

I think the Pscological Warfare Corps helps with this mentality, see, if all these things are happening to you so fast, so suddenly, your not going to be thinking, they are not going to kill me, they will be thinking they may kill, I'll do anything to stop the pain.
If they do remember it is a training exercise, they will be worried about becoming a fatal training accident staistic, and will do anything to make the exercise stop, or at least the dangerous part. That's my view on it, as i said earlier, those blokes know exactly what they are doing

Well obviously i agree that there is no training that can fully prepare you for the horrors of torture and interrogation - but the training they're doing is about as good as you can get without actually torturing the person.

Rich.

Did i miss something, or has noone touched on the fact that the SAS will never be captured. I'm an engineer, and our regiment is full of ex-grunts including ex 3RAR and 4RAR, and they've all said they'd never allow themselves to be captured. If everyday infantry would rather eat a bullet then face interrogation then i would assume the only way to take a Special Air Superman alive would be an elephant tranquiliser.

Craftsman said:
Did i miss something, or has noone touched on the fact that the SAS will never be captured. I'm an engineer, and our regiment is full of ex-grunts including ex 3RAR and 4RAR, and they've all said they'd never allow themselves to be captured. If everyday infantry would rather eat a bullet then face interrogation then i would assume the only way to take a Special Air Superman alive would be an elephant tranquiliser.

No such thing as supermen - and one doesn't always have complete control of every situation. This is a rather silly claim.

This sort of training has been going on for as long as I have been around. Its just that it has never hit the papers. Plus with the stuff that has gone on in the past with mis-treatment of PWs makes this very topical at the moment. Especially with mention of the dogs, it puts a picture in the mind of the reader, like the ones we have all seen coming out of Iraq. There are far more greater issues out there other than this. for example crimes against children, welfare cheats and so on.

Craftsman said:
rather stupid claim
these men are professional soldiers, while capture is not a nice option, it may end sometime, death however, does not

Yeah, i don't think that was a very solid claim. They run out of ammo, or lose their weapons or something, they'll be captured. If the instructors didn't think there was a chance of them getting captured then they wouldn't bother doing the training or anything then would they? They could spend all of the money on some pretty new guns or something like that.

Rich.

The E&E resistance to interorgation training used to be conducted near Evans Head in the 60's and 70's.
Run by the naval intelligence mob and was in its heights during the Vietnam war. From all accounts it was pretty brutal but needed.
Todays training in this touchy feely, OH&S worldis more strictly run and scientific in its approach.
The bottom line is the training is needed.
All serving members get the basic briefs if they deploy o'seas. The heavy stuff is reserved for those in specailty corps and musterings.
Only time will tell if it is worth the drama of it being beat up by the media and the backstabbing bleeding hearts.
Who by the way don't seem to keen in taking in or sponsering any asylum seekers??????
Just my 2 cents worth.

Right on man, we need to get rid of these tree-hugger types. Back in the day you could have a school yard fight and the teachers would stand around and watch to see who wins the "argument", but nowadays a kid could get expelled for fighting - my nephew almost did. How crap is that!? Breeding a nation of weeklings and pansies.

Rich.

The fact is, the ADF is so professional, and so well trained, the journalists in this country want to take every opertunity to make them seem like a bunch of rat bags.
Tall Poppy Syndrome, they don't like anything better than them, and want to make themselves fell big, by belittling the ADF.
It realy does, annoy the crap out of me.

the military really has no place for political correctness or any of that bs do they. what they are doing is above and beyond and as such, they can (rightly so) do things differently to civs. the problem is when civs hear about what goes on and they try and impress thier values on the military, who dont need to be told what to do by someone with no knowledge of what they do

Yep, i couldn't agree more guys. There's too much BS these days and too many people thinking they know what's best for everyone else. It's about time everyone just shut the hell up i reckon.

Rich.

No point. Its not training, your letting your men be ravaged by dogs. A mans will power and resistence is determined by the man and he determines when to breakdown.

Aw duuuuuude..... Mate, you need to read the article again, slowly, and soak it all up... Ah whatever.

Rich.

After I sent my last post a few of my troops stopped over to watch the footy on TV with me and the family.
Brought up the topic over a few stubbies, and the general consensus is train for the worst so at least you have some idea.
All agreed that a dog eating your balls is not necessary the same for having an Iraqi chock you up the bum!
As for the trend in political correctness, well, I am sure this board is watched by senior "management of many countries military so I will leave the opinions of that for the pub.
Its impact has not completely stuffed us up. Not yet anyway..........
Heres to the Broncos going down in 05. :)
"Go the mighty Tigers!!!"

Tigers are gonna win this year man, they're thumping everybody. I don't get to see much NRL these days because i live in AFL country. My beloved Panthers sucked his year apparently.

Anyway, the dogs are muzzled and are just threatening, but i agree with what you're saying.

Rich.

There were SAS troops captured in the first war with Iraq. When you are in training it feel an easy option to give up information as you are not at war and you know the people that are giving you a rough. I can assure that after a few days with out sleep and this constance interrogation it can wear you down, fail any part of this course and you are have failed.

Well it really is all about trust isn't it. Your superiors aren't gonna trust u with information if you fail certain parts of your training. They're just not gonna trust you at all.

Rich.

Back