Sarkisian calls Raiders rebuff a `great decision'

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Mercury News Wire Services

USC assistant Steve Sarkisian called his turning down the Raiders on Friday a ``great decision'' in a radio interview given less than a day after he threw Oakland's coaching search for a loop.
Sarkisian told Sirius NFL Radio he arrived at his decision based in part on how he felt about his chances of succeeding with a team that won only two games last season and in an environment where the coach lacks freedom to determine his personnel and staff.
``If and when I ever get an opportunity to be a head coach, I want to make sure it is the right decision where I (know) that we are going to go in there and win football games and we are going to be a successful organization,'' he said.
Sarkisian, 32, said he turned down an offer to succeed the fired Art Shell one day after concluding a two-day interview with owner Al Davis and other Raiders officials. He said he delivered the news by phone. The Raiders, for their part, say they never made an offer.
``They were a bit shocked because we had come so far,'' Sarkisian said.
• The New England Patriots downgraded safety Rodney Harrison from doubtful to out for the AFC championship game at Indianapolis. Harrison strained his right knee in the Patriots' last regular-season game, against Tennessee, when he was blocked by wide receiver Bobby Wade. The injury has sidelined Harrison throughout the playoffs.
• The Pittsburgh Steelers will wait until at least Monday to announce their new coach, and might interview Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera that day for a second time if the Bears lose the NFC championship game.
Sports Illustrated's Web site and, later, ESPN.com reported the Steelers have decided on Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. A person with knowledge of the search told the Associated Press that was false. The Steelers have also twice interviewed their assistant head coach, Russ Grimm.
• The Cleveland Browns hired Rob Chudzinski as their offensive coordinator. Chudzinski was the team's tight ends coach in 2004 before holding the same job with San Diego the past two seasons.

Back