San Francisco to Remove JROTC from schools

Some of you guys really don't like SF, it's a nice place you should go see it. Don't you guys remember that jrotc programs gain only a handful of recruits, that's how it was at my school. Wouldn't it be logical to close a program down if it has a small number of people doing its curriculum? If anything, we need to spend more money on education because quite frankly no mattter where you go, public schools below university levels in this country are crap next to most other developed nations.

Some of you guys really don't like SF, it's a nice place you should go see it.

We're not complaining about the place, we're complaining about the people who live there.

Don't you guys remember that jrotc programs gain only a handful of recruits, that's how it was at my school. Wouldn't it be logical to close a program down if it has a small number of people doing its curriculum?

Yes, so why not get rid of algebra in high school? How many people go on to get a job where they have to use algebra on a daily basis? Few, I can only think of two jobs off the top of my head, algebra teacher and rocket scientist. Keep in mind that JROTC is an elective, not a required course in high school, so the number of students will be lower because different people have different interests, at our school we had to take 7 credits of electives, .5 credit per class per semester, 15 credits were already laid out for us, take this, this, this and this, then we were handed a book on what our electives could be. 15 classes that everyone had to take vs. over 150 electives, my third grade math skills tell me that the electives are going to have a smaller class size per but will still have the same number of students overall.

Furthermore, JROTC is not your everyday ordinary class, at my school it doubled as a drug rehab program and from personal experience I know two kids who would not have graduated if they hadn't been taking JROTC, one of whom because he was going into the Army and wanted the promotion straight to E-3 that goes along with three years of JROTC. The other would not have graduated because, to put it mildly, she had some issues but the JROTC instructors helped her out immensely and she graduated. Some people just aren't the academic type and they struggle in high school, if nothing else JROTC was a free credit every year that helped those people get a degree because having that degree proves they can handle anything. (That's not my opinion, but it's how socierty works.)

If anything, we need to spend more money on education because quite frankly no mattter where you go, public schools below university levels in this country are crap next to most other developed nations.

So you're calling for the expansion of public schools while at the same time applauding their decision to downsize? My personal opinion is that my education was adaquate and if I could change one thing, I would have opened up more electives for the students, let the students study something they are interested in rather than forcing them to sit through some really boring class that will not help them once they are outside of high school. In that way JROTC was the best class at my high school, every other teacher could tell you ways their classes could "theoretically" help you outside of high school, but only the JROTC instructors could say with confidence "If you take this class for three years you will make $300 more per month should you choose to join the Army."

Yes, so why not get rid of algebra in high school? How many people go on to get a job where they have to use algebra on a daily basis? Few, I can only think of two jobs off the top of my head, algebra teacher and rocket scientist.

Well, there are a few more jobs where algebra comes in handy. Computer related, electronic engineers and technicians, mechanical engineers and technicians. Example, there are standard value resistors so if an engineer gives a tech a schematic and his design calls for a value that is not available, he has to rely on an algebraic solution known as product over the sum to make a resistance by parallel and series rule. xy/x+y=z. A good tech knows that simply adding the reciprocal of each resistor and then finding the reciprocal of that gives the parallel value, or
1/(1/x+1/y)=z. To make sure that resistor won't burn up when power is applied, he'll use the appropriate power formula. P=IE. P=I square x R, or E square/R, most do these formulae without calculators. The World is algebra, trig, and geometry.

Actually I wish my high school had offered Game Theory and Chaos Theory instead of Trig... far more interesting but Missileer is right.

I've got family in the SF Bay Area... I love em to death but they are different that's for sure. They don't see the world like anyone else I know.

I took Typing 1 and the guys ribbed me about taking such a poofy course but there were 20+ girls and one boy, me. That's where I started dating my Wife, and her friend, and her friend's friend and.......

Back