Samurai - Page 2

--

August 25th, 2005  
Blixs

The reason why samurai were paid in rice was because money is considered as a vile and disgusting thing that destroys the hearts of men.The samurai were forbidden to carry money or have any economic thought.

The samurai were encouraged to learn other trades,though it wasn't necessary it was still encourage,for art and culture were a part of the samurai lifestyle.

The lowest caste in Japanese society at the time was actually the merchant caste.The merchants were considered as parasites in society,since they sold items,but they didn't make them.They also dealt with money,which was considered vile at the time.

As for the Emperor,his word wasn't actually the law,his words were more of recommendations and guidelines rather than real laws,the office of Emperor was like the UN,its make sanctions and laws but it doesn't have the power to enforce them.It was only because he was a descendant of the Sun Goddess that know one dared to touch him.
August 25th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixs
The reason why samurai were paid in rice was because money is considered as a vile and disgusting thing that destroys the hearts of men.The samurai were forbidden to carry money or have any economic thought.

The samurai were encouraged to learn other trades,though it wasn't necessary it was still encourage,for art and culture were a part of the samurai lifestyle.

The lowest caste in Japanese society at the time was actually the merchant caste.The merchants were considered as parasites in society,since they sold items,but they didn't make them.They also dealt with money,which was considered vile at the time.

As for the Emperor,his word wasn't actually the law,his words were more of recommendations and guidelines rather than real laws,the office of Emperor was like the UN,its make sanctions and laws but it doesn't have the power to enforce them.It was only because he was a descendant of the Sun Goddess that know one dared to touch him.
The samurai's wife would look after her husband's income and ensure that all bills were paid and so forth.

You're correct, merchants were considered low-life by most Samurai, but the Eta caste was lower still, actually being shunned by the rest of Japanese society.

I wouldn't go as far to compare the Japanese Emperor to the UN but it's true, Shogun after Shogun manipulated the mandate of the the Emperor for their own ends.
August 27th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

so you all like em eh
--
August 27th, 2005  
Blixs

I like them because of how they conduct themselves both in the battlefield and within the court.
August 27th, 2005  
Locke

good posts guys, keep em coming

am intersted in the samurai due to thier warrior and honor code, both of which deserve respect
August 27th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

dont forget that the Japanese soldiers in ww2 had some samurai spirit in them...
August 28th, 2005  
Blixs

Here are some samurai death poems for you guys:

*This particular poem was in Shogun Total War*
Hj Ujimasa
1538-1590

Autumn wind of eve,
blow away the clouds that mass
over the moon's pure light
and the mists that cloud our mind,
do thou sweep away as well.
Now we disappear,
well, what must we think of it?
From the sky we came.
Now we may go back again.
That's at least one point of view.

Ota Dokan
1432-1486

Had I not known
that I was dead
already
I would have mourned
my loss of life.
*Dokan was said to have uttered this poem as he was stabbed to death by a ninja hiding in the lavatory*
September 4th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

does any1 know the battle of nagashino?
September 4th, 2005  
OORAH

anybody here train in Iaido, the art of drawing the sword, or does anybody here own a katana, wakizashi, or tonto. I am an avid collector of samurai swords, and have a rather nice one from japan. It was very cheap, as samurai swords go into the 24000 dollar range for a very nice one, as mine was only about 800dollars. I love it, and wonder if anybody else on this site likes them as well.

September 4th, 2005  
Blixs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMacbeth
does any1 know the battle of nagashino?
Here's a link giving full detail of the battle and what led to it's outcome.

http://www.samurai-archives.com/ban.html