Saluting in different Armies

phoenix80

Banned
It might be useful to have a discussion on this here.

I'd like to know more about rules of Saluting in different Armies.

Like in Iranian Armed forces, where I served, a group don't salute the senior rank but the senior of that group salutes and it is unlawful for the group to give hand salute.

Or when a group of junior ranking GIs come close to a senior officer, the senior of Juniors must loudly say "Attention" until the senior officer dismisses them.

I wanna know more about how other servicemen in other armies do this.

phoenix_aim54 said:
It might be useful to have a discussion on this here.

I'd like to know more about rules of Saluting in different Armies.

Like in Iranian Armed forces, where I served, a group don't salute the senior rank but the senior of that group salutes and it is unlawful for the group to give hand salute.

Or when a group of junior ranking GIs come close to a senior officer, the senior of Juniors must loudly say "Attention" until the senior officer dismisses them.

I wanna know more about how other servicemen in other armies do this.

Well I'm not in actual military service, I'm in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and we salute the same way the military does,mostly because we fall under them. We do the same thing, if a group or "mass gaggle" of juniors or senior NCO's is sitting there and an officer walks by the senior ranking NCO calls attention or if walking or marching by he salutes.

It depends a lot on just where you are, if you are walking down the road you just through a salute for a few seconds as you walk past and thats it. If you are being interviewed by him or he comes into a room were you are working then the senior NCO will call the room to attention and he will throw the salute you then will remain standing until told to be at ease or to carry on. If been called into room for a face to face meeting then when you march in and come to a halt you throw a salute for a couple of seconds then stand to attention to he you are instructed to relax or be at ease. Well that was the position in the British Army when I was serving

If a group of soldiers are standing around in a column of blob and an officer approaches, the first person to see them (or the nearest to them) yells "stand fast" and salutes the officer, everybody comes to attention. The officer then gives the usual "as you were" or "carry on".

If the soldiers are standing in formation, the commander of that group calls attention, then throws the salute.

Thanks for your sincere answers.

It sounds pretty the same every where in the world. Given the fact that Iranian Regular Army discipline is based on British/American way.

I'm in ATC and we only salute officers and the 3 ensigns and a room lol
but when we have to salute other people in the army/airforce/navy or even the cadet force whaen they salute its different and weird

In the British Army we do not salute if we are not wearing head dress. We just come to attention.

Bish said:
In the British Army we do not salute if we are not wearing head dress. We just come to attention.

It's the same in Norway, but we add a small nod with the head as well.

Bish said:

Yes, same as Iranian Army. without head dress, soldiers are not allowed to do hand salutes.

for MCJROTC we salute officers and colors and standards not cased, and only outside and when we have our covers on...same thing as the Marines

rotc boy said:
for MCJROTC we salute officers and colors and standards not cased, and only outside and when we have our covers on...same thing as the Marines

dont forget to salute indoors only when under arms.

lol, its an interesting thing when your outside w/o your cover on and an officer comes walking by, you get a wierd feeling inside your gut :).

In Civil Air Patrol, The senior of a formation (commander) Renders the salute and in a group of cadets the senior cadet calls them to attention, but ussually every one just snaps to it.

The reason you dont salute without headress goes back to the origin of the salute.

Orginally it began with the proto-regiments of post medieval Europe. They were mostly mercs and by that stage armour was quite complete. A knight when in the field or tourny would raise the visor on his helm to show that he was indeed who his heraldry claimed him to be. The tradition stuck so now we still only salute with our "helms" on. Obviously you didnt raise you helm to peeps you didnt repect or who werent gentry... so thats you salute officers etc.

In the Australian Army we used to salute.... trying to give it up.

Original ANZACS hated saluting an officer who they didnt know or respect, so often they just didn't. :roll:

[quote="MilidarUSMC]
lol, its an interesting thing when your outside w/o your cover on and an officer comes walking by, you get a wierd feeling inside your gut :).[/quote]

Because you don't know whether to salute or not, or because you'll get dressed down for not having your cover on? :lol:

MilidarUSMC said:
its an interesting thing when your outside w/o your cover on and an officer comes walking by, you get a wierd feeling inside your gut :).
[/i] Why are diddy bopping around my AO without a Cover Lcpl? I hope your talkin about the flight line :lol:

Why are diddy bopping around my AO without a Cover Lcpl? I hope your talkin about the flight line :lol:

What bothers me is why he's not already down on his face and giving you fifty :)

Back