Who Said What? The Security Challenges of Modern Disinformation

The problem is that in the end, fake news sinks itself, the fewer people believe the information they receive the fewer people will believe the fake news as well.

Winston Churchill said during WW2, ""The truth is so precious, it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies.""

Last edited:
Winston Churchill said during WW2, ""The truth is so precious, it must be "protected by a bodyguard of lies.""

These days I tend to look at news as word jumble, about 50% of it is fact the rest is opinion and bias.

I was always taught to use the 5 W's method to gather data,
1, Who was there.
2, What happened.
3, Why did it happen.
4, When did it happen.
5, Where did it happen.

For the most part the What, Where and When aspect remains true, it is the Why and Who that has been distorted for personal or ideological gain and it is those aspects that the individual should investigate for themselves and not take at face value.

These days I tend to look at news as word jumble, about 50% of it is fact the rest is opinion and bias.

I was always taught to use the 5 W's method to gather data,
1, Who was there.
2, What happened.
3, Why did it happen.
4, When did it happen.
5, Where did it happen.

For the most part the What, Where and When aspect remains true, it is the Why and Who that has been distorted for personal or ideological gain and it is those aspects that the individual should investigate for themselves and not take at face value.

The LA riots were caused by the media not showing the whole of the video of police beating up Rodney King. What the news media very conveniently left out was Rodney King attacking the police officers.,

I have always stated as far as the media is concerned ""Why spoil a good story with the truth.""

The problem is that in the end, fake news sinks itself, the fewer people believe the information they receive the fewer people will believe the fake news as well.

The real problem is that our democracy is fundamentally flawed, since the way of our leaders are elected is questionable. Moreover, our "democratically elected" leaders challenge the freedom of press, one of the important pillars of democracy. By and large, the emergence of such so-called leaders as Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, and Xi Jinping undermines the idea of Liberal International Order and increasingly alters the world as an anarchic realm.

Last edited:
The real problem is that our democracy is fundamentally flawed, since the way of our leaders are elected is questionable. Moreover, our "democratically elected" leaders challenge the freedom of press, one of the important pillars of democracy. By and large, the emergence of such so-called leaders as Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, and Xi Jinping undermines the idea of Liberal International Order and increasingly alters the world as an anarchic realm.

All political systems are flawed and inevitably they all fail.
The democratic system has simply been hijacked by special interest groups who buy power, it is well known that to be elected in Russia you have to be a wealthy and be prepared to strong arm any opposition, America requires you to worship a flag and kiss Israeli and NRA arse and I have no doubt every other country on earth has its requirements to join the old boys club in the halls of power.

Further to this, there are now three emerging issues with Western politics:
1. The growth of a political class, politics is now almost hereditary, you have a large number of sons/daughters following parents into power.
2. Politics is only for the wealthy, even in a tiny country like New Zealand we have no politicians in parliament with a net worth of less than $1 million.
3. Political parties carry all the power and not the electorate, few politicians are native to the area they are supposed to represent they are simply put forward by the party.

As a result of this few if any politicians and fewer governments genuinely represent the people that elect them or can even grasp the plight of the common citizen.

All political systems are flawed and inevitably they all fail.
The democratic system has simply been hijacked by special interest groups who buy power, it is well known that to be elected in Russia you have to be a wealthy and be prepared to strong arm any opposition, America requires you to worship a flag and kiss Israeli and NRA arse and I have no doubt every other country on earth has its requirements to join the old boys club in the halls of power.

It's funny you should mention that. While surfing the net on the demise of liberalism and emergence of anarchy, I came across former Australian PM Paul Keating's talk with great parody and thought i shall share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=881&v=ALIlrhvwCPs

Last edited:
Back