A Said Ending

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=30326

spacer.gif

This wasn't the way Boris Said wanted to finish what was probably his last NEXTEL Cup Series start of the season.​

The road racing veteran looked like he was headed for a sixth place finish in Sunday's AMD at The Glen at Watkins Glen International Raceway.​

But that was before the last lap.​

Unfortunately for Said, he and fellow road racer Ron Fellows blew through the Inner Loop on the final lap of Sunday's race.​

Rules call for drivers to fall back in line to the position they had before entering the tricky "bus stop" portion of the famed circuit. But Said didn't do that and after crossing the finish line sixth, was penalized later by NASCAR and handed a 31st place finish.​

Said got tangled up with Ryan Newman on the final circuit, which he says was the reason for missing the Inner Loop.​

"I was disappointed in Ryan Newman," said explained. " He was running out of gas on the last lap and it’s OK to block one way, but he blocked me once and moved twice and I got into him. I couldn’t help it. I was already committed to that side, so I was disappointed in that."​

Newman's side of the story actually had a better ending. NASCAR originally penalized him as well, dropping the No. 12 ALLTEL Dodge from 9th to 31st.​

But Newman and crew chief Matt Borland argued their case for nearly two hours after the race and NASCAR finally reversed its call, giving Newman an eighth place finish.​

As for Said, the sour ending looks like it will complete Said's NEXTEL Cup schedule this year.​

“I don’t think anymore this year, but we’re just gonna get to work on next year," he said. "I really want to do more races and build our team up. We’ve got a great bunch of guys and my relationship with Roush and the cars and motors we’re getting is just great."​

Back