Safety's on guns

mdvaden

Do you like a safety? Or not?

Any good and bad designs on various firearms?

Improvements you would like?

one of the cardinal rules of gun safety is to never completely trust the safety. so in some sense it's as if the safety isn't even there. it's kind of true. i know a few people who hate the trigger safety they have on glocks. but i have a similar trigger safety on my savage rifle and i don't mind that so much. as far as gun designs go, one of my professors, who's an avid gun collector, doesn't trust any gun without a trigger. that's kind of a safety in itself so when the weapon is concealed the hammer can't get caught on anything. but he feels like he won't know whether the weapon is cocked or not that way. the glock and hk p2000 compact, and the hk p7 series are just a couple of guns that don't use a standard hammer. i haven't had a problem either way when i shoot. but i guess that's because the design isn't exactly new to my generation.

The only safety on a gun is the user.

screw safeties, in my old gun classes they use to say that you can never depend on a safety,you can only depend on yourself, safeties have all kinds of trouble, i have seen them lock-up and get stuck all the time.

The only true safety is you, your hand, your mind, you steadiness.

And if you're unlucky, the weapon may still fire while on "safe."
I believe either an NCO or an officer demonstrating the saftey catch shot himself in the head and died during the Gulf War. It's mentioned in Norman Schwarzkopf's autobiography, "It doesn't take a hero."

the_13th_redneck said:
And if you're unlucky, the weapon may still fire while on "safe."
I believe either an NCO or an officer demonstrating the saftey catch shot himself in the head and died during the Gulf War. It's mentioned in Norman Schwarzkopf's autobiography, "It doesn't take a hero."

Keeping finger out of the trigger is the best safety but mechanical safety makes feel more safe when carrying weapon without any need to use it. It is not wished any object to accidentally hit the trigger if safety is off while weapon carried on the back or shoulder etc.

From what I see every day American soldiers will not put their finger on the trigger unless they are going to shoot you. I could be wrong though, I tend to look at the barrel pointed at my face. :)

Big_Z said:
From what I see every day American soldiers will not put their finger on the trigger unless they are going to shoot you. I could be wrong though, I tend to look at the barrel pointed at my face. :)
Thats what everyperson is taught i think, keeping your finger just behind the safety switch or on the trigger gaurd, is a bit worrying when people starting fingering triggers.

Yea but soldiers are put in harsher situations than everyone else. There are times that a normal person would have already shot off a round and in that same situation a soldier might not even have his finger on the trigger yet.

*wiggles trigger finger*
That's my safety.

Dougal, whats wrong with the Steyr safety? Never had a single problem with it.

If you drop it then you are a clumsy butter fingers and shouldn't be trusted with anything, not even a box of tissues.

As for what I was saying about my trigger finger. I mean you can't always trust a safety switch, hence keep your finger off the trigger until you know you want it to go bang and a bullet to come out the pointy end. Safety switches don't always work, we know this, so keeping your finger away from the trigger just helps a bit more.

"Safety switches don't always work, we know this, so keeping your finger away from the trigger just helps a bit more."

You mean safety goes broken or you forget how to use it when the situation is on?

What I mean is safety switches can fail. So keeping your finger of the trigger is not tempting fate. If you walk around with your finger on the trigger confident that your safety switch will keep you safe, then your an idiot.

AussieNick said:
What I mean is safety switches can fail. So keeping your finger of the trigger is not tempting fate. If you walk around with your finger on the trigger confident that your safety switch will keep you safe, then your an idiot.

The best cure for that is to train it good enough that won't fail. Of course if situation is on and real need to use weapon is expected, then always mechanical safety off. Touching trigger is forbidden always when no need to shoot and that is the first thing to train about weapon handling.

isnt there a saying along the lines of keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target.
iv never fired a gun but it seems like sound advice

its funny watching movies and seeing the actors running with guns and having their fingers inside the trigger guard... fools:D

"isnt there a saying along the lines of keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target.
iv never fired a gun but it seems like sound advice"

Along the lines is the right word! Thanks, now it will get easier to explain.

Back