Safety's on guns

--

December 14th, 2004  
mdvaden

Topic: Safety's on guns

Do you like a safety? Or not?

Any good and bad designs on various firearms?

Improvements you would like?
December 14th, 2004  
egoz

one of the cardinal rules of gun safety is to never completely trust the safety. so in some sense it's as if the safety isn't even there. it's kind of true. i know a few people who hate the trigger safety they have on glocks. but i have a similar trigger safety on my savage rifle and i don't mind that so much. as far as gun designs go, one of my professors, who's an avid gun collector, doesn't trust any gun without a trigger. that's kind of a safety in itself so when the weapon is concealed the hammer can't get caught on anything. but he feels like he won't know whether the weapon is cocked or not that way. the glock and hk p2000 compact, and the hk p7 series are just a couple of guns that don't use a standard hammer. i haven't had a problem either way when i shoot. but i guess that's because the design isn't exactly new to my generation.
December 16th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

The only safety on a gun is the user.

screw safeties, in my old gun classes they use to say that you can never depend on a safety,you can only depend on yourself, safeties have all kinds of trouble, i have seen them lock-up and get stuck all the time.

The only true safety is you, your hand, your mind, you steadiness.
--
December 16th, 2004  
devilwasp

I would rather have a safety and know your also the second safety device.
December 16th, 2004  
dougal

5 rules of the Steyr AUG rifle

1 Safety
2 Safety
3 Safety
4 Safety
5 Safety
December 16th, 2004  
A Can of Man

And if you're unlucky, the weapon may still fire while on "safe."
I believe either an NCO or an officer demonstrating the saftey catch shot himself in the head and died during the Gulf War. It's mentioned in Norman Schwarzkopf's autobiography, "It doesn't take a hero."
December 16th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
And if you're unlucky, the weapon may still fire while on "safe."
I believe either an NCO or an officer demonstrating the saftey catch shot himself in the head and died during the Gulf War. It's mentioned in Norman Schwarzkopf's autobiography, "It doesn't take a hero."
Keeping finger out of the trigger is the best safety but mechanical safety makes feel more safe when carrying weapon without any need to use it. It is not wished any object to accidentally hit the trigger if safety is off while weapon carried on the back or shoulder etc.
December 16th, 2004  
Big_Z

From what I see every day American soldiers will not put their finger on the trigger unless they are going to shoot you. I could be wrong though, I tend to look at the barrel pointed at my face.
December 16th, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
From what I see every day American soldiers will not put their finger on the trigger unless they are going to shoot you. I could be wrong though, I tend to look at the barrel pointed at my face.
Thats what everyperson is taught i think, keeping your finger just behind the safety switch or on the trigger gaurd, is a bit worrying when people starting fingering triggers.
December 17th, 2004  
Big_Z

Yea but soldiers are put in harsher situations than everyone else. There are times that a normal person would have already shot off a round and in that same situation a soldier might not even have his finger on the trigger yet.