A Safer Nuclear Stockpile

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Times
October 22, 2008
Pg. 32

To the Editor:
Re “New and Unnecessary” (editorial, Oct. 13):
I was pleased to read that you believe that America’s nuclear weapons stockpile needs to remain safe, secure and reliable. But it is important to clarify our efforts to do just that.
The United States is not looking at producing a “new” weapon. Rather, we are looking at a way to make the stockpile more secure and safer to handle and maintain — all without adding any new military capabilities.
The decision has been made that the United States will have a nuclear weapons stockpile. As administrator of the National Nuclear Security Administration, I have the responsibility to ensure that these weapons are safe, secure and reliable. And while they are today, thanks to some very smart and dedicated scientists and engineers, I also need to think about the future.
Our weapons are aging well beyond their intended life, and in ways that are getting harder and harder to predict. It would be irresponsible of me to wait until there is a major problem to begin to act.
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]Thomas D’Agostino, Administrator, National Nuclear Security Administration, Washington, Oct. 15, 2008[/FONT]

Back