Saddam lawyer challenges date of trial

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
JAMAL HALABY

Associated Press

AMMAN, Jordan - Saddam Hussein's Iraqi lawyer has filed petitions challenging the date of the former leader's trial and the jurisdiction of the Special Iraqi Tribunal - a last ditch effort to block the Oct. 19 start of court proceedings.

Saddam and seven other members of his toppled regime are to stand trial on charges of ordering a massacre of 143 people in Dujail, a town north of Baghdad, in 1982 after a failed assassination attempt against the ousted leader. If convicted, Saddam could be sentenced to death.

Abdel Haq Alani, a Britain-based legal consultant for one of Saddam's daughters, said Sunday that the former leader's Iraqi lawyer, Khalil Dulaimi, has been served a written notification from the special court designating Oct. 19 as the starting date.

"Mr. Dulaimi received the notice on Sept. 25," Alani told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Additionally, Dulaimi was also "handed some documents, said to be pertinent to the alleged evidence to be presented in court," Alani added.

It was not immediately possible to reach Dulaimi in the Iraqi capital.

Alani said it "has not yet been decided whether the defense team would appear in court on Oct. 19." He declined to elaborate, but appeared to suggest that the defense team was awaiting an Iraqi response to two petitions which Dulaimi has recently filed in Baghdad.

One of the petitions "challenges the date of the trial because the court should not expect to give us only two weeks to review the case and the documents, while it took it two years to do so," Alani said.

"There should be at least 45 days between the notification and the date of the trial," he said. "This is a procedural matter; This is the least that could be done for a fair trial."

The other motion was filed to challenge the jurisdiction of the Iraqi Special Tribunal, Alani said. But he declined to say where and when it was filed or explain on what basis the defense questioned the legitimacy of the court.

Doody said:
If you plan on only posting an article without any input or insight from yourself, post your article in one of the two news forums. Failure to do so with result in your thread being locked

Team Infidel,

If you do not add in any opinion of your own, I will move this article to one of the news forums. By all means use an article or source to spark a discussion. Adding your opinion is the difference between posting here and not one of the news forums. Thanks

Doody

We are spending a crap load of money to put him on trial, when it really only cost $.32 for a bullet... WTF?

He is solely responsible for killing of one milions Iranians, thousands of Kurds and thousands of Kuwaitis and hundred thousands of his own people since 1978.

I don't understand why he should stand trial!

Did he give his opponents a fair and reliable trial? Nope... so why we should give him one now?!

That is a valid point, but here is the deal.

If he is killed without a proper trial, then the insurgent and extremists would use him as a martyr. If he goes thru du process, then that will may the Iraqi populous satisfied that their judicial system works.

Team Infidel said:
That is a valid point, but here is the deal.

If he is killed without a proper trial, then the insurgent and extremists would use him as a martyr. If he goes thru du process, then that will may the Iraqi populous satisfied that their judicial system works.

I agree. But he should put to death after that due process. That way the Shi'ites will be satisfied.

I have no doubt that he will be put to death if he is convicted. The question here is WHO will sign the death warrant?

There is a lot of amazing developments each and everyday here.

There is..

Question is, what other skeletons are going to come out of the closet during the trial. For example, his usage of the MeK to put down the Kurdish rebellion.

Team Infidel said:
There is..
Question is, what other skeletons are going to come out of the closet during the trial. For example, his usage of the MeK to put down the Kurdish rebellion.

Yeah right, if the trial is due and fair a lot of compromising stuff will come out and that won't help the Iraqis. Too early. You're right.

PS. About the MeK http://www.danielpipes.org/article/1100

The MeK is a dangerous CULT. In some cases worse than the regime they are fighting. I would like to start a new thread on just this topic alone.

Italian Guy said:
Team Infidel said:
There is..

Yeah right, if the trial is due and fair a lot of compromising stuff will come out and that won't help the Iraqis. Too early. You're right.

MEK is hated my majority of true Iranians and they are considered as traitors... you may need more info on them though!

they are a marxist-islamist cult/terror gang and have nothing to do with freedom and democracy.

that cult is run like a stalinist group and is very dangerous!

phoenix80 said:
Italian Guy said:
Team Infidel said:
There is..

MEK is hated my majority of true Iranians and they are considered as traitors... you may need more info on them though!

they are a marxist-islamist cult/terror gang and have nothing to do with freedom and democracy.

that cult is run like a stalinist group and is very dangerous!

Dude.. I have more information on these folks than you would believe. I know exactly what they are about. I know thier angles. I know them.

I will be happy if you can share your info with me!

I am an Iranian and I know them as much as I have had access to media but never met one of the idiots!

Back