Saddam in his UnderWear

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source:Reuters

mdf565043.jpg

LONDON (Reuters) - A picture of
Saddam Hussein in his underpants splashed across the front-page of Britain's biggest-selling daily newspaper on Friday prompted an outraged reaction from his lawyers.

The Sun newspaper quoted U.S. military sources as saying they had handed over the pictures "in the hope of dealing a body blow to the resistance in
Iraq."

Other photographs showed Saddam, with short, dyed-black hair and a mustache, washing clothes by hand and asleep on his bed.

"In our opinion this is a violation of all international agreements and human dignity, therefore we must sue the people responsible and the providers of these pictures, because if you look closely you can see that they were taken from his prison cell," Ziad Khasawneh of Saddam's defense team said.

"This is considered as another Abu Ghraib and we will take the necessary legal actions which we have already started," he told Reuters in Amman.

A U.S. military statement said the pictures might be a year old and the source was being urgently investigated.

It said they contravened Saddam's rights as a prisoner and could have broken the Geneva Convention.

"Multi-National Forces-Iraq is disappointed at the possibility that someone responsible for the security, welfare, and detention of Saddam would take and provide these photos for public release," the statement said.

"This lapse is being aggressively investigated to determine, if possible, who took the photos, and to ensure existing procedures and directives are complied with to prevent this from happening again," it said.

Toppled from power in the U.S. war in Iraq in April 2003, Saddam was captured hiding in a small underground bunker in December of the same year. Apart from a brief court appearance last year, no images of Saddam have been made public since then.

Saddam is expected to stand trial next year on charges of genocide, torture and crimes against humanity. If he is found guilty he could face the death penalty.

"Saddam is not superman or God, he is just an aging and humble old man," The Sun quoted the military source as saying.

"It's important that the people of Iraq see him like that to destroy the myth. Maybe that will kill a bit of the passion in the fanatics who still follow him.

"It's over, guys. The evil days of Saddam's Baath Party are never coming back - and here's the proof," the source said.

The newspaper said the pictures were taken at a top secret location where Saddam was being held in a 12-ft by 9-ft (3.6-m by 2.7-m) cell, watched 24 hours a day on closed circuit television by special forces and military police.

It is not the first time pictures of U.S. detainees in Iraqi jails have been leaked to the media.

A year ago graphic photographs of the abuse of detainees in the notorious Abu Ghraib jail outraged world opinion and were described as the best recruiting campaign for
Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Somebody printed a picture of Saddam in his undies. Violation of his rights? Yeah okay :roll:

Boo Freakin Hoo. Get over it.

Hi,

He is a P.O.W remember ? ........... and a X-President of a Country .......... and despite all the boo Hoo he faught a Conventional war and Lost ........ and now is a POW .

Geneva Convention rules on the humane treatment of prisoners of war.

The conventions say countries must protect prisoners of war in their custody from "public curiosity".

Peace

SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

He is a P.O.W remember ? ........... and a X-President of a Country .

Peace

Cry me a River. Comparing it torture is a load of BS. IMO the son of a :cen: is lucky some Motivated 4th ID trooper didn't dump a frag in his hidey hole and call it a day.

Hi,

I recall during the first Gulf War when British airmen were being paraded on TV ............. and there was this Big Outrage .......... Citing the Geneva Convention when it suits You . :roll:

A prisoner has rights even if guilty of heinous crimes ............ and certainly if not yet convicted of any crime............. the Court should deside his fate ......... he is still not Convected of any of the Alligations against him .

For the Newspaper The pictures serve no meaningful purpose other than to sell the tabloids.

Peace

I'm not citing the Geneva Convention. You are.

I'm just sick and tired of the hew and cry everyone throws when terrorists or deposed dictators are shown in their skivvies.

Scream abuse and torture all you please. It ain't.

I can think of a whole lot of things to be concerned about but seeing Saddam in his "tighty whities" isn't one of them. I'll give it a big SO WHAT?

Really great sense of priority you have there, Swordfish. Point the finger at the US over skivies but where's your sense of outrage about pictures of hostages having their heads lopped off? I haven't seen any posts from you about that. :roll:

Hi,

Really great sense of priority you have there, Swordfish. Point the finger at the US over skivies but where's your sense of outrage about pictures of hostages having their heads lopped off? I haven't seen any posts from you about that.

Terrorists are Terrorists ............... They are Expected to Do things like that ............why else would we call them terrorists for ............. it's more about the So called Civilised world .

And About my Outrage and Priorities ........... For you this terrorism started on 9/11 ............ for us it has been there way before 9/11 and will remain after this so called war on terrorism ends.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi,

More Pictures of Saddam along with two former members of his regime ............ Mr. al-Majid and Mrs. Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash

Source:Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A British tabloid published more surreptitious photographs of
Saddam Hussein in U.S. custody along with two former members of his regime on Saturday, a day after it ran a front-page picture of the former Iraqi leader clad only in his underwear.

The international Red Cross, which is responsible for monitoring prisoners of war and detainees, said the photographs violated Saddam's right to privacy. The U.S. military condemned the publication and ordered an investigation of how the pictures were leaked to The Sun.

Saturday's pictures included one of Saddam seen through barbed wire wearing a traditional white Arab robe known as a dishdasha, and another of Ali Hassan al-Majid, better known as "Chemical Ali," in a dark robe and holding a towel.

The Sun also ran photos of a man and a woman identified as al-Majid, who faces charges for his role in poison gas attacks against
Iraq's Kurdish minority, and Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash, a researcher dubbed "Mrs. Anthrax" for her alleged role in trying to develop bio-weapons for Saddam.

The photos have not provoked much of an outcry in the Middle East but raised concerns about offending Arab sensibilities and doing further damage to the American image already tarnished by the prisoner abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib prison and a now retracted Newsweek report about the desecration of the Quran at the U.S. prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Saddam's chief lawyer, Ziad al-Khasawneh, said the photos "add to acts that are practiced against the Iraqi people." He said he would sue the newspaper "and everyone who helped in showing these pictures."

Some Iraqis and other Arabs called the photos of Saddam the latest in a series of insults to Muslims. Others, however, said the humiliation is just what the 68-year-old former dictator deserved.

Iraq's Interior Minister Bayan Jabr said he did not know how the pictures were taken but he did not believe the U.S. military was involved.

"I don't believe that these pictures were taken by the U.S. Army or coalition forces," he told reporters in Baghdad, but he didn't elaborate.

Peace
-=SF-13=-

im sick and tired of this :cen: . Im all for human rights and all and im all for the Geneva Convention. but seriously, is a picture of sadaam in his underwear really this important of an issue. dam lawyers. any shot they get to sue they take. nothing good can come out of this situation. just let it be.

behemoth79 said:
Im all for human rights and all and im all for the Geneva Convention. but seriously, is a picture of sadaam in his underwear really this important of an issue.

I would actually say yes, to a certain extent..

The Geneva convetion should be followed to the letter in my opinion.
If we're not doing that it will only backfire on us (like this and other cases).
Most of the recent conflicts involving NATO/UN are about human rights (or the lack of), so that's another very good reason for us to follow the conventions as well...

And to Terrorists and the Geneva Convention:
All prisoners are actually (more or less) protected by the Convention, even if they are defined as terrorists.
I've studied the Conventions both at the Sergeant and Officer school, and that is one of the main topics in the courses.
But it depends on how you read and understand it, since it can be a bit "vague" on that point..
One place it says that Terrorists are not protected, but another place says that all prisoners (doesn't matter who) are protected...
(I can't remember the paragraphs now, but I'll see if I can find them later)

They're saying now that it appears the pictures were taken from a security camera. If so it could be that they were leaked by a contractor hired by the US military and so I don't see how the Geneva Convention could be called on. The person who worked for the contractor should be penalized somehow I guess but you couldn't blame the military.

Hi,

If so it could be that they were leaked by a contractor hired by the US military and so I don't see how the Geneva Convention could be called on

It's called *Responsibility* ............. when he is under your Command ........... the people you hire or employ ............. you are responsible for their Action .............. it's under your Authority and you failed simple as that ............. it dosen't matter who failed you .

Peace
-=SF_13=-

In America at least, employers are not responsible for illegal actions taken by their employees without their knowledge.

In India it appears even their police aren't responsible for their _own_ actions if the chicken incident is any indication.

Hi,

In India it appears even their police aren't responsible for their _own_ actions if the chicken incident is any indication.

Yes UP Police went overboard in that case ........... what's that has to do with Mr. Saddam in his Undes

I wouldn't Go into Much detail as it's off topic apart form the fact to inform you a F.I.R has been lodged against 22 policemen and inquiry has already been set up in the case.

Second The state UP.... where it happned is one of the most Law less state in India ..

Peace
-=SF_13=-

03USMC said:
Somebody printed a picture of Saddam in his undies. Violation of his rights? Yeah okay :roll:

Yes but I have no doubt you would feel differently if that was a US POW.

MontyB said:
03USMC said:

Yes but I have no doubt you would feel differently if that was a US POW.

There ya go thinking again :roll: In case you've missed the way some US and UK POW's were trotted out in front the press during GWI. And in other conflicts. If being paraded around in their skivvies were the worst they got. They were lucky.

But for me the sawing off of heads kinda pales the whole Saddam Baby in his BVD's thing. Same way with the mass graves and gassing the Kurds thing.

So let me clarify

BOO Freakin HOO

Back