Sadaam is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and if Saddam were still alive it would no doubt upset the Shia, and the Kurds. Those people do not like one and other and sadly, they look very hard for more reasons to dislike one and other.

The best thing for the US Military to have done, in my opinion, would have been to kill Saddam rather than capture him.

Gator

I agree, Saddam was a bad person, no doubt about that. But he was also a pandoras box. The Shiites, Kurds and even the Sunnis (he killed plenty of his own people too) were all terrified of him. So as long as he was in power the box remained closed. Then one day back in 2003, some genius decided to open Pandora's box...

Yes, and if Saddam were still alive it would no doubt upset the Shia, and the Kurds. Those people do not like one and other and sadly, they look very hard for more reasons to dislike one and other.

The best thing for the US Military to have done, in my opinion, would have been to kill Saddam rather than capture him.

Personally I think the best possible course of action would have been to have taken out him and his sons without invading at all, oddly enough I think this is the best course of action for North Korea as well and just keep working your way down the list of replacements until one of them starts making sense.

Well, North Korea maybe, now anyway, but in Iraq?
Just killing Saddam without invading? Where is the profit to be made in that course of action?

Just killing Saddam without invading? Where is the profit to be made in that course of action?

If you seriously believe that then your leadership should be rolling into court along with Saddam as I am prepared to bet that nothing in this war is benefiting the average American.

But thats another story for a different thread.

:)

Bush Sr. didn't allow Saddam to be taken out because he was advised about the country of Iraq going to hell on a greased sled from the ensuing civil war over who would take control.
Sort of like what is taking place in Iraq right now.

Just killing Saddam without lots of US Boots on the ground would have yielded the same results in Iraq, minus the 3000 dead US Service Members with scores more wounded of course.

Bush Sr. didn't allow Saddam to be taken out because he was advised about the country of Iraq going to hell on a greased sled from the ensuing civil war over who would take control.
Sort of like what is taking place in Iraq right now.

Just killing Saddam without lots of US Boots on the ground would have yielded the same results in Iraq, minus the 3000 dead US Service Members with scores more wounded of course.

I don't agree, the difference would be in the fact that a political/civil/military structure would have been still in place and functioning which I believe would have kept things in check.

Do you think that if he had just dropped dead one day of natural causes Iraq would have degenerated into what it is now?

Iin my opinion, if he would have died of natural causes, his second in command would have stepped up to fill the void, cracked down right away, and maybe only had to kill a few dozen rabble-rousers.
I've noticed that power does not transfer well in Iraq.
2 too many sects for that part of the World.

Iin my opinion, if he would have died of natural causes, his second in command would have stepped up to fill the void, cracked down right away, and maybe only had to kill a few dozen rabble-rousers.
I've noticed that power does not transfer well in Iraq.
2 too many sects for that part of the World.

I concede that his 2nd and 3rd in line were just as bad as he was but I am also convinced that a "coordinated departure" could have been arranged for them as well.
Another question worth exploring is whether they would have followed his son's at all as I kind of suspect that Saddam's death would have also been the demise of his son's as well.

What a way to speak about former Allies! He was good enough for the USA while they had trouble with Russia. When facing the enemy, beware of those ready to stab you in the back! The German army of WW2 was one of the finest in the world. Today they are spoken of as if they had all been NAZI criminals. Thereby, they were not allowed to forfill any political functions. Later they were made to pay for their governments mistakes. I hope the British and USA soldiers in Iraq are not treated in th same manner when the war is over.

The once proud German Army became Political for World War II, serving a man instead of serving a Nation, which was in my opinion part and parcel with their downfall.

Back