A Sad Tale

LeEnfield

EXCLUSIVE: POW LIVED IN HIDING IN HIS OWN HOME FOR 60 YEARS
By Nick Sommerlad
A 100-YEAR-old former Japanese prisoner of war has been found hiding in his own home after 60 years.​
The old soldier returned to Britain a broken man after working on the infamous Burma Railway and was cared for in secret by his late wife and then by his daughter.
His plight only came to light after his unmarried daughter died.
Council staff went to the house in southern England to remove her body and found the old man living in a back room.
Until then no-one knew he was still alive, including social workers who delivered the daughter's meals on wheels, neighbours and the Ministry of Defence.
Now the veteran has told the ex-serviceman's mental illness charity Combat Stress how he suffered post-traumatic stress during his horrific time in the Far East.

During the building of the Burma Railway, 120,000 prisoners and forced labourers died.

The charity said it was "most extreme" example of battlefield stress they had ever seen.

Toby Elliott, chief executive of Combat Stress, said: "Nobody knew anything about this man. He had not been seen since the war. He explained to us what happened to him and had the military papers to prove it.

"He was a PoW in the Far East and worked on the Burma Railway.

"As well as the physical damage, quite a few were driven insane by the privations they suffered.

"He came home in 1945 a broken man and his family hid him away.

"He was looked after by his wife and then by his eldest daughter, who never married."

Neighbours believed the daughter lived alone. So did the social workers who often visited. Mr Elliott added: "The Ministry of Defence knew nothing about his case.

"It was only after the death of the daughter late last year, when the social services went in to deal with removing the body, that they discovered this man in the back room. He told us himself what happened to him.

"It is the most extreme example we have encountered of combat stress."

The veteran has no surviving relatives and is now living in a nursing home.

Mr Elliott added: "There is no more we could do for him. He is as happy as he can be."

The Burma Railway was built by the Japanese between 1942 and 1943 to link Thailand with Burma.

Around 60,000 allied prisoners of war were forced to work on it and 6,300 British PoWs died. Of the total death toll of 120,000, most were conscripted Asian labourers.

Their ordeal was turned into the epic film Bridge on the River Kwai in 1957.

After the railway was finished in 1943, most allied PoWs were taken to Japan.

Many of those who were released in 1945 continued suffering the physical and psychological effects of their ordeal for the rest of their lives.

Combat Stress - also known as the Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society - was formed in 1919 to treat shell-shocked soldiers returning from the First World War.

My God, even animals don't do that to other animals. At least, he's got some form of life now. I'm sure his family did all they could but there just wasn't much to be done back then and he probably wanted to just hide until he died.

Well having met and worked with many of the former Japanese POW I can understand what he was going through. We had hundreds of them working for our company and not one of them was able to work to their retirment age [65] as ill health made them all retire early. We had one chap who was young, blue eyed, blond, and good looking and nearly every week the Japanese wolud tie him down and beat him with split bamboo canes that would strip your flesh off. They would work over a different bit of his body each time so by the time thay had beaten him all over the bits that they had started on had began to heal and they would start again. He would go missing from work and we would find him hiding in corner sobbing his heart out.

With out being rude 60 years seems a long time to you, but to this old boy it was probably like yesterday.

Italian Guy said:
Do you guys think I was unrespectful?

You just posted before I did. I was answering LeEnfield's post. I think the poor guy really wasn't or still isn't in normal mental condition. After that kind of abuse, his poor brain was still in Burma so he decided to hide in a safe place. Withdrawal is a classic symptom of manic depression. I'm surprised he didn't commit suicide.

Combat Stress is not something to be taken lightly. I have a friend of mine that came back from Iraq. He used to be all chummy chummy and very talkative. Now he stays by himself as much as possible, is very quiet, and does not like people touching him at all. Those of us that knew him before he went over are worried and we keep an eye on him and check on him as much as possible. He has been back for a bit over a year now. Someone asked him when he was deploying again and he said he would die before he went back.

So, yes I can see the how the man could react in such a manner. You get in a certain mindset for a long time and it is hard to come back from it. I wish the man best of luck and God's good grace for the remaining years of his life.

Back