Sacrifice and such - Page 2

--

March 31st, 2004  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc
If you want to read about brave soldiers read the book "The Medal". Or talk to some WWII veterans sometime. Not the first wave veterans but the 2nd or 3rd wave veterans of an assault, those were brave men. Watching the first wave chewed to bits it took a lot of guts just to stand up and move forward.
yeah they were tought
May 21st, 2004  
silent driller

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his. -Patton
May 21st, 2004  
Marksman

Well hitkers boys were loonies,on them it was an great honor to die for hitler and germany,i know thats the right way but it was fanaticly wicked
--
May 24th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent driller
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his. -Patton
damn straight
May 28th, 2004  
Big_Z

Ever heard of the 82nd or 101st? [paratroopers] They would be dropped in the MIDDLE of the enemy, with no med stations or backlines. I dont think even death itself could say you are more willing to die for your country then that. There was a part in band of brothers when i believe it was the 3rdID was pulling out of bastougne, 101st was sent in to hold the line with hardly any ammo, food, or winter clothes. A 3rdID guy was coming back from the line and says "its a massacre, you will be surrounded" Dick Winters [CO] says "We're paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded"
May 28th, 2004  
Locke

there was an army that fought, even when death was immenent (sp) they continued to fight.
the spartan king Leonidis let an army of 400 against the invading persian army, which was 20 as big as the spartan army. they fought guerilla warfare, and slowed thier progress into greece. they ultimately were confronted at Thermopolye, and were surrounded. they were offered to surrender, but declined and were ultimately killed by the persian archers, who were a safe distance from the spartans whe were fierce close combat figters. they could have opted for a ceasefire, but that was contrary to thier docrine, so they stood, and died
May 28th, 2004  

Heroic, but I doubt if it's a very smart thing to do........
May 28th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke
there was an army that fought, even when death was immenent (sp) they continued to fight.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...opic.php?t=815

Scroll down.

And actually, strategically, holding at all costs was very much the right thing to do, it gave the Greeks enough time to amasse their troops and prepare for what became the battle of Marathon, as well as dealing a crippling psychological blow to Xerxes and the Persians.
May 28th, 2004  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...opic.php?t=815

Scroll down.
Tnx Redneck, I knew I read that somewere on the forum, but I couldn't find it right away, and was to lazy to continue looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
And actually, strategically, holding at all costs was very much the right thing to do, it gave the Greeks enough time to amasse their troops and prepare for what became the battle of Marathon, as well as dealing a crippling psychological blow to Xerxes and the Persians.
In this case it wasn't completely useless, but still I wonder if they couldn't have surrendered at the end. Live to fight another day, I mean. Of course I don't know if the persian army would've let them live, but to be shot by archers without being able to do anything about it?
May 28th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1217
In this case it wasn't completely useless, but still I wonder if they couldn't have surrendered at the end. Live to fight another day, I mean. Of course I don't know if the persian army would've let them live, but to be shot by archers without being able to do anything about it?
I know sure as shooting that I would not have surrendered to anybody back then, you'd be liable to lose your head and your innards in no particular order, I'd take the porcupine way out over that any day.