S&W Survival Kit

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Smith & Wesson has assembled an "Emergency Survival Tool Kit" that revolves around their 460PD or 500PD revolvers, it is available with either. S&W's Herb Belin, who developed this kit, emphasizes the short and very powerful .460 S&W and .500 S&W Magnum handguns as defense against bears. The idea of the snub nose is that it allows easy use even if attacked while in your sleeping bag in a tent, according the Herb. A longer barrel would make it more difficult to use in such a confined place and at point blank range, accuracy isn't that much of an issue. That's not an unheard of occurance, so he has a point.

The revolvers is equipped with a 2.75 inch unported barrel and a bright yellow Hogue Recoil Reducing Grip. Unless they are truly magic, best be prepared for a very sore hand after firing this one on the range. Anyone with a wweak grip need not apply.
sw_emergency_tool_kit_600w.jpg

The remainder of the kit includes: an Ultimate Survival Blastmatch firestarter and four packages of WetFire tinder, Ultimate Survival Saber Saw, Jet Scream whistle and 2 x 3 StarFlash signal mirror, a Silva Polaris baseplate compass, two MPI Mylar Space Emergency Blankets (Note to Herb, see above article) and a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops liner lock folding knife. Also included is the book, "Bear Attacks of the Century - True Stories of Courage and Survival" by Larry Mueller and Marguerite Reiss; just in case you weren't paranoid enough about bears. All this is packed into a fitted bright yellow Harddig Storm Case. A ballistic nylon holster for the revolver is included. MSRP is $1150
sw_emergency_tool_kit_case_600w.jpg

How practical is this kit? Well, individually, the componets are generally very good and ought to be carried on your person for use if needed. If you are traveling into bear country, a powerful firearm is advisable. While a rifle or shotgun with slugs is preferred, most of those we know that travel in such areas also carry a powerful handgun and you'd be hard pressed to find one more powerful than these two.

163463_case_lg.jpg

Last edited:
thats neat, but i can think of things id rather spend 1150 dollars on.

But il take one for free :D

Does it work on polar bears??
If it does then I'll take two.. :viking:

I'd have more fun carrying a M82A1 on my walks through the woods...

But around here all you see are black bears and mountain lions, so I wouldn't need anything more than a GLOCK 20 anyways.

Redleg said:
Does it work on polar bears??
If it does then I'll take two.. :viking:

A 50 cal. magnum will stop an elephant in mid-charge. Of course, you will also need a splint for your broken arm in the kit.:shock:

This article reminds me,
70years old man fought against brown bear and won with bare hands.
major liability said:
I'd have more fun carrying a M82A1 on my walks through the woods...

But around here all you see are black bears and mountain lions, so I wouldn't need anything more than a GLOCK 20 anyways.
That sounds nice,but you shouldn't do.
Bear is smarter and very tough animal.
Even armed human is just human.

Last edited:
Are you saying a GLOCK 20 wouldn't be strong enough for a black bear? It definitely is, it's chambered for 10mm Auto, roughly equivalent in power to the .41 Magnum.

And wait a minute, are you saying that bears are smarter than humans, or is that a wrong translation?

major liability said:
Are you saying a GLOCK 20 wouldn't be strong enough for a black bear? It definitely is, it's chambered for 10mm Auto, roughly equivalent in power to the .41 Magnum.

And wait a minute, are you saying that bears are smarter than humans, or is that a wrong translation?
Bears are terrifying beasts in forests.
Fine sense of smell,shrewd instincts,giant's strength.
You can kill bear if they are far.
But,if you see bear in close quarters,you must be killed in the next breath.
But fortunetelly,bears hardly attack human.

BS, if its Claw agaisnt hand, hes got me. But if its claws against gun my dieing act will be to ram the glack or .50cal down its throat. It might decides its a bad idea to attack me when the round comes out of his a$*hole.

Bears aren't really carnivorous predators though, they won't go after you unless they either feel threatened, are really hungry, or are polar bears (those ones will go after you). At ten feet I believe I could still kill a grizzly if with 15 shots of 10mm Auto Hydra-Shok. But you won't get me to test that.

I'd rather have alien invasion insurance before having one of these kits. Virtually the last thing in the world I'd want to do is shoot something like a Kodiak with a pistol. It's similar to the reason GI's in Vietnam didn't take on tigers with an M-16.

THe S&W .500 is the most powerful commerical pistol caliber in the world right now. It's powerful enough to take down large Afircan game. The problem is that a 2 inch barrel will waste so much power. But it is still more than enough to kill you avarage bear. Yugo and Bubu aren't going to steal any picnic baskets anytime soon.

PS - I find that thing a waste of money and time. My .45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle is my bear defense gun.

sandy said:
Bears are terrifying beasts in forests.
Fine sense of smell,shrewd instincts,giant's strength.
You can kill bear if they are far.

I and a few buddies of mine were once stalked by a bear while backpacking up in the high sierra. Was the most terrifying two days I ever had...

hey, since we're on the topic of bears...

I'm taking a trip to the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho- bear country. Should I buy bear spray, or bring my Remington 870 with 3 inch slugs? I lean towards the shotgun, personally.

By the way, playing dead will work with a grizzly- about half the time. A black bear, though grizzlies get the hype, won't stop attacking until it makes you its next meal or three, or so says a reputable Canadian hunting guide.

Shotgun with slugs. Also Playing Dead with a Black Bear will get you eaten and also climbing up a tree is useless. Black bears climb trees.

right. That's another bear hunting encounter I read about. Guy got charged and fended off a black for 2 hours up a tree. Now, the hard part is convincing the parents by 2008 that carrying a shotgun with slugs (plus one buckshot) will keep me safe.

You hit a Sow in the face with 00Buck or a Slug. She'll either go down for the count or get the hell out of Dodge.

Of course, if we're playing the odds here, the chances of killing a bear with a .38 Special are probably greater than the chances of actually bumping into one. There are exceptions such as Yellowstone, but just using one's brains is typically enough to keep out of harm's way.

I grew up in the Appalachians and spent quite a lot of time wandering through the boonies. I've seen a black bear once. I actually only saw about half of the bear since it was running away as fast as it could.

Moved to the appropriate forum, since this one's gone far off-topic now...

Back