S. Korean SEALs Rescue hostages and kill pirates

@ Can
dude, so much good can be done by military if Politicians would listen to them and it would not be other way, not just there, also in A-stan... Rules Of engagement is quite/most often is obstacle
Congrats to SK SEALS!

Good job rescuing these hostages. These guys we send to rescue hostages are the best of the best...

And I agree too on how politics get involved in military affairs. But I believe that we shouldnt allow our forces to use some tactics... For things like torture, civilian targetings, some forms of assassination missions... etc etc...

Some moral values have to be protected at all costs. Some military minds are ruthless... They are very good when it comes to bringing an enemy to his knees.

But we dont have the right to support criminals, even when they are fighting for us... This is not victory they are serving us, but defeat.

LeMask

Now you are talking about the dark side of democracy. As you've probably discovered democracies rarely fight each other and when democracies do go to war, they often fight with their gloves off, ignoring principles of noncombatant immunity. During times of war, democratic societies suffer tension between norms of humane conduct and pressures to win at the lowest possible costs and that´s why democracies are just as likely as autocracies to target civilians in war, and even more so when they fear that they will lose.

But to combat criminal elements such as pirates or terrorists is a totally different ballgame and sometimes the end justifies the means. Morality is not always something we can afford when it comes to such persons.

Probably not the best time to hijack a SK ship. Room to room fighting on a ship with no casualties, excellent work.

Last edited:
It's a different kind of fight but yeah.
Also the hostages were not able to separate themselves from the pirates. All the more remarkable.

Sorry I'm new. I had a question? I would like to know what my son does in afganistan. He is on a recovery team. He is a light wheeled mechanic and attached to the 101st.

It's a different kind of fight but yeah.
Also the hostages were not able to separate themselves from the pirates. All the more remarkable.

Actually, thats probably the most remarkable part of the news.

It also raises questions (put yourself in the shoes of the pirates, would you not hide behind your hostages in a room-to-room confrontation?).

Anyway, result rectifies effort, well done SK!

Rattler

Ummm guys, are you aware that there is people explaining the piracy by the crimes done against the Somali people, sometimes with big entities involved like the Italian army...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/you-are-being-lied-to-abo_b_155147.html

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2008/10/2008109174223218644.html

a video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lM7VCIuCXI&"]YouTube - People & Power - The toxic truth - 17 January 09 - Part 2[/ame]

Many commercial ships drop extremely hazardous materials in the waters of Somalia, destroying their economy and causing deaths and health problems among the local populations...

And this kind of actions push the somalis to attack the ships moving next to their coasts...

Of course, I dont say that these pirates are angels just defending themselves... They are there for the money.
But isnt there some kind of legitimacy?

How do you guys who are professionals see the things?

Of course, it's obvious that if a Somali pirate is attacking your ships, you have to defend it.

But from an ethical point of view, these guys are maybe simple fisherman victims of lawlessness and corruption...

Re: S. Korean SEALs Rescue hostages and kill

Sorry I'm new. I had a question? I would like to know what my son does in afganistan. He is on a recovery team. He is a light wheeled mechanic and attached to the 101st.
I would like to know what my son does in afganistan. He is on a recovery team. He is a light wheeled mechanic and attached to the 101st.
Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy your time here.

In armor units (tracked or wheeled) recovery teams go out and retrieve tanks that have broken down or sufferred battle damage. Once in a 'blue moon' there might be some bad guys shooting. Normally, the scene is secured and the retriever is a special armored recovery tank (M88A2 Hercules) with the power to pull a tank out of anything. Whether it is a swamp, or desert sand and battle damage has blown off a track. The retriever would pull the tank to a place where is could be placed upon a transport truck and taken to a repair facility.
URL;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M88_Recovery_Vehicle __ For the M-1 Abrams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAV-25 ___ For the LAV-25 and Stryker wheeled vehicles

I hope this helps.

Good on the ROK. "It's good to hang pirates."

In reality what this whole situation needs is more CWIS and 76mm on the water and more JDAM on the beach.

And following the link AVON gave, they also give a hand when they have to build fortifications as they are well equiped to move extremely heavy object, like the concrete barricades they are using to make barriers.
That makes sense, thanx for your input.

This seems like a very traditional and appropriate way to deal with piracy. Catch them and kill them has pretty much been the rule since the 1700s.

Back