S.Korea "supports" N.Korea's nuke program

FlyingFrog

I said months ago here, who mostly wants to see the N.Korea has Nukes? After N.Koreans, It is S.Koreans.

Today, the president of SK claims in Chile (APEC meeting) the N.Korea's Nuke Program is quite reasonable for self defence, all people were shocked to hear his speech.

Don't have English report yet, this is from the "Global Times", translated from Chinese to English (automatically):

--
South Korean President Lu Wuxuan for towards the defense called North Korea the nucleus plan military force self-defense is reasonable

On November 19, 2004 10:48 round the world Times For the North Korean nucleus plan defense, directly criticizes American the North Korean policy, this to a South Korean president said is matter which how many a little take risks. But this matter, South Korean President Lu Wuxuan did. On November 13, goes to the South America three countries visits, and will attend Asian and Pacific after gathers organizes the leader informal meeting Lu Wuxuan the way US Los Angeles. In there, Lu Wuxuan attended the business lunch which the American international question association holds. Just started, Lu Wuxuan also liked formerly such emphasized North Korea had to give up the nucleus plan. Was saying was saying, a his sudden speech peak revolution, called North Korea the nucleus plan and the missile plan are maintains it to avoid exterior threat the method, has the suitable rationality. In a piece of surprised vision, Lu Wuxuan grips tightly the speech manuscript, 一字一句 read this section. Since in fact, Lu Wuxuan has mentioned very the long time to want to deliver the speech which but has not said □□□namely to solve the North Korean nuclear problem not to be able to simplify. Lu Wuxuan speaks frankly opposed US resorts to the military force to North Korea and the implementation "makes first move and gets control" the attack. He said, "so long as as soon as mentions resorts to the military force, the South Korean nationals can first remember the war", "South Korea which rebuilds one's homeland on the war ruins, cannot face the war once again the danger", "resorts to the military force only to be able enable (to concern the North Korean nuclear question) the peace talks strategy function to receive the restriction", "besides the dialogue, other path has not been possible to walk". He requests US to respect the Korean Peninsula the reality and South Korea's standpoint. Lu Wuxuan also opposed US implements the blockade policy in North Korea, thought to only can cause the Korean Peninsula towards the blockade not to be unstable and the war threatens long-term. Makes the speech after Lu Wuxuan, the American government not special response, South Korea domestic actually causes the great unrest. The South Korean biggest incumbent party big country party accused Lu Wuxuan to publish "the impact" the speech, thought this beautifully will relate to Han brings the bad influence, "caused the Han USA union to be in the dangerous the region". According to the South Korean experts analyzes, Lu Wuxuan in Los Angeles discussed the sensitive issue, after is because the South Korean government worried Bush succeeds is continue as, includes the economic blockade, the military attack strong method copes with North Korea. Such first, South Korea "by 拖入 abyss". Lu Wuxuan a so explicit speech, is the Bush Administration has "the preventive inoculation" for, for in Asian and Pacific after gathers organizes in the leader informal meeting to meet with Bush tunes. Estimate when the time comes, Bush can reiterate US has no intention to attack North Korea, can listen to Lu Wuxuan as for Bush "to suggest", was other question.

The conversion is not perfect but amazing news.But, indirectly is he trying to say that south korea has similar intentions too ? or is he trying to dissuade the US from having any plans to invade N. Korea and thus safeguard the region ?

I think the Japanese Government should also comment on this as well. But, this report is startling and I am surprised to hear that the South Koreans would also allow N. Korea to acquire such devastating weapon. Nevertheless, I think the N. Korean government should be more wise knowing that this would make the U.S. government very concerned and furious.

And also, I think this is the first sign of American Influence fading in Asia. The U.S. should start renewing talks to prevent an arms race within the region.

With USA controlling, S.Korea dares not to develop nukes.

But S.Korea knows if N.Korea got the nukes, then someday when they got united they will own those nukes too, hence becoming a Powerful Nuke Nation. The Koreans are very ambitious too, good US has an eye open on them.

In my POV, re-uniting Korea is not America's business. It is a decision choosen by the Korean People. But, re-uniting into a nuclear power is a call to Nuclear proliferation within the region. Especially the PRC.

Well, I think we should just put pressure on them to abandon the nuke program.

And I believe after some time, N.Korea will abandon the nukes even if they already have nukes now.

But I admit, if things go not good, then S.Korea will get nuke, Japan will get nuke, what a mess it will be.

I think 8 nukes powers of now is already big enough, no more.

That means that Nuclear Technology is becoming widespread and common. The Nuclear Weapon is still a weapon that the entire world fears of. And if one nation lights a fire in a room filled with gasoline vapors..............................silence.

I have a gut-feeling that the number is already 9.

But if NK decides to make it official by making a test for example, I'd bet that not long after that Japan and SK would also go nuclear. If North Korea is nuclear, the danger to Japan is tremendous. They view the Japanese as the boogieman and scare their children with stories of them.

Im glad we are pullling some troops out of there, let SK deal with their own problems. I know a SK born American soldier and he hates it there, he said they have a complete lack of respect for the US.

First of all, Lu Wuxuan is not a Korean name. The Korean writing system doesn't have the X sound. If we tried to say it it would be Ru Wuk-su-an. And our given names are either 1 or 2 syllables. 2 syllables being the vast majority.

Put it this way... South Korean politics is a mess. Not just that but Kim Dae-jung's whole sunshine policy as well.
The damage it's done in such numerous ways I cannot begin to list them here or I'll go all day.
The Anti-Americanism. First of all, America topped the s*** list when the guys who ran over the two female high school students were aquitted and in the end, no one saw jail time. I think that can be considered a turning point in the sour relations.
But really it is the result of Kim Dae-jung's sunshine policy. If North Korea isn't really that bad, and it was all just dictator propaganda that made us see them as a dangerous neighbor, then surely the Americans who are against this "decent country" with a "misunderstood" leader must be the ENEMY.
It's a reason why I want Kim Dae-jung hanged. Turned a murderer into a celebrity and turned a valuable ally into a villain. Mostly for turning this murderer into a celebrity though.

Now about South Korea and Nukes.
There was a thought going on with politicians (TYPICAL) that surely, North Koreans would never develop a Nuke to throw onto other Koreans. So they think it's made to defend themselves against the Japanese or the Chinese. Which is utterly stupid. But I guess that's how politicians think. So they supported North Korea's nuke, because they knew that North Korea wouldn't last very long politically, so eventually South Korea would inherit that Nuclear weapon.
I can't really express my level of disappointment on this board.
South Korea doesn't need nuclear weapons if it has a good alliance with the Americans.
North Korea probably doesn't share that cozy neighbor attitude towards us like we in general have with them. They are most likely taught that we are the grandchildren of the traitors of the Japanese occupation and that justice must be served by our swift defeat. Not just that, but the expression, "Yankee Mercenary" is often used to describe South Korean troops up in the North.

Not to mention, it's always more convenient to point fingers at America than actually focus on local issues. Typical politician tactic as well. Noh Mu-hyun (the South Korean president) risked impeachment to send troops to Iraq and no doubt he did it because he realizes that an alliance with America is a valuable one.

Enough rants from me.

But yeah, That's why South Korea's politicians and people supported North Korea's nuke. Thought we'd inherit it. There just doesn't seem to be a limit to human mental retardedness.

the_13th_redneck,

1. About the Lu Wuxuan name, that was simply a machine translation from Chinese to English (or PinYin).

2. Just read report from S.Korea today, S.Korean politians are talking about "abandoning" ally with USA but starting to be "dear friends" with China. I know you are one of the few guys in Korea who dislike China, but in reality, more and more Koreans realize their future lies in good relationship with China but not USA.

yes , it is reasonable that a country who wants to have its own nukes ,besides nk

FlyingFrog said:
I said months ago here, who mostly wants to see the N.Korea has Nukes? After N.Koreans, It is S.Koreans.

Today, the president of SK claims in Chile (APEC meeting) the N.Korea's Nuke Program is quite reasonable for self defence, all people were shocked to hear his speech.

Don't have English report yet, this is from the "Global Times", translated from Chinese to English (automatically):

--
South Korean President Lu Wuxuan for towards the defense called North Korea the nucleus plan military force self-defense is reasonable

On November 19, 2004 10:48 round the world Times For the North Korean nucleus plan defense, directly criticizes American the North Korean policy, this to a South Korean president said is matter which how many a little take risks. But this matter, South Korean President Lu Wuxuan did. On November 13, goes to the South America three countries visits, and will attend Asian and Pacific after gathers organizes the leader informal meeting Lu Wuxuan the way US Los Angeles. In there, Lu Wuxuan attended the business lunch which the American international question association holds. Just started, Lu Wuxuan also liked formerly such emphasized North Korea had to give up the nucleus plan. Was saying was saying, a his sudden speech peak revolution, called North Korea the nucleus plan and the missile plan are maintains it to avoid exterior threat the method, has the suitable rationality. In a piece of surprised vision, Lu Wuxuan grips tightly the speech manuscript, 一字一句 read this section. Since in fact, Lu Wuxuan has mentioned very the long time to want to deliver the speech which but has not said □□□namely to solve the North Korean nuclear problem not to be able to simplify. Lu Wuxuan speaks frankly opposed US resorts to the military force to North Korea and the implementation "makes first move and gets control" the attack. He said, "so long as as soon as mentions resorts to the military force, the South Korean nationals can first remember the war", "South Korea which rebuilds one's homeland on the war ruins, cannot face the war once again the danger", "resorts to the military force only to be able enable (to concern the North Korean nuclear question) the peace talks strategy function to receive the restriction", "besides the dialogue, other path has not been possible to walk". He requests US to respect the Korean Peninsula the reality and South Korea's standpoint. Lu Wuxuan also opposed US implements the blockade policy in North Korea, thought to only can cause the Korean Peninsula towards the blockade not to be unstable and the war threatens long-term. Makes the speech after Lu Wuxuan, the American government not special response, South Korea domestic actually causes the great unrest. The South Korean biggest incumbent party big country party accused Lu Wuxuan to publish "the impact" the speech, thought this beautifully will relate to Han brings the bad influence, "caused the Han USA union to be in the dangerous the region". According to the South Korean experts analyzes, Lu Wuxuan in Los Angeles discussed the sensitive issue, after is because the South Korean government worried Bush succeeds is continue as, includes the economic blockade, the military attack strong method copes with North Korea. Such first, South Korea "by 拖入 abyss". Lu Wuxuan a so explicit speech, is the Bush Administration has "the preventive inoculation" for, for in Asian and Pacific after gathers organizes in the leader informal meeting to meet with Bush tunes. Estimate when the time comes, Bush can reiterate US has no intention to attack North Korea, can listen to Lu Wuxuan as for Bush "to suggest", was other question.

Im glad we are pullling some troops out of there, let SK deal with their own problems. I know a SK born American soldier and he hates it there, he said they have a complete lack of respect for the US.

I"m glad that you point that out, the U.S. is not here to spoon-feed nations on certain problems.

I mentioned that it is a pattern starting to develop.
Conservatives do not like this trend but this is a reason why I see my time in Korea being rather short lived.
By the way, I'd like a source for that information.
Plus it's one of the major opinions that are ripping South Korean politics apart. The Pro-Chinese, the Pro-North Koreans (often also pro-Chinese), the Pro-Americans and small numbers of Pro-Japanese. In a way it's like 1900 all over again. History repeats itself doesn't it?

FlyingFrog said:
the_13th_redneck,

1. About the Lu Wuxuan name, that was simply a machine translation from Chinese to English (or PinYin).

2. Just read report from S.Korea today, S.Korean politians are talking about "abandoning" ally with USA but starting to be "dear friends" with China. I know you are one of the few guys in Korea who dislike China, but in reality, more and more Koreans realize their future lies in good relationship with China but not USA.

I don't know if we're reasonable anymore.

ILoveCHina said:
yes , it is reasonable that a country who wants to have its own nukes ,besides nk

People who think an alliance with Japan (at least unofficially) will be important. Very very small minority. I border on being one. And they hate to admit it due to historical reasons. But as a Korean I do meet a few very occasionally.
But including those that fall in this category should include the ruling class of people who have been obviously pro-Japanese.

CRUNKER said:
pro-jap?? um, thats weird, do u have a source on it? im sorta interested

The rich ones that usually run for political office including the presidency and also a big chunk of the wealthiest who hadn't had their posessions taken away from the Japanese by cooperating.

I see...in other words you're referring to the political elites. So in this case, "money is power."

Noh Mu-hyun, the current president, is the first to really not fit the description of the ruling elites. He is middle class which was a key reason for him being elected. People were fed up with the elites.

Back