S.Korea spends $8.6 billion on helicopters

FlyingFrog

Jesus, that is money talking, so much money only for helicopters!!

Two European consortiums and Bell from the United States were picked by the Defense Ministry on Friday (July 9) as the three final contenders for Korea's 10 trillion won ($8.6 billion) "miracle" helicopter project, which would give this country a fleet of next generation craft and generate lucrative exports.

The three are AugustaWestland consortium from Britain and Italy, the Franco-German Eurocopter and Bell.

Boeing and Sikorsky, both from the United States, were cut from the field as the heated global competition for the Korea Multirole Helicopter project, the country's single largest arms procurement undertaking, entered its closing stages.

The ministry refused to disclose any specific data of its review, or why Boeing, which has rarely failed to win military bids in Korea, was excluded.

The objective of the multi-billion dollar project is to replace the country's aging choppers with 477 new aircraft by 2012. Another several hundred helicopters will be built simultaneously for export purposes. Korea wants the foreigner manufacturer to design an aircraft that combines the concepts of cargo delivery and attack.

Though this design may be economical, some experts say it is not practical for a real combat situation and they point to previous failures.
The ministry exploratory team's next move is to learn if the three bidders can meet Korea's procurement standards and help Korea develop 34 core components.

The selection process is to end late next month and by mid-September the ministry will chose a winner.

"We will take into consideration the bidder's development plan and its credit in deciding a final winner, but the bottom line is we want a bidder who could provide stable research and development," said Park Sung-kuk, a head of the KMH project in the ministry at a news conference.

Park was referring to the government expectation that a partnership with any one of these companies can help Korea develop its own brand.

Another ministry official added that they will choose whoever suggests the best and lowest bid.

The ministry aims to set the price of a helicopter for utility operations under 15 billion won and the model for attack 20 billion won.

The Korea Aerospace Research Institute, a pool of major aircraft developers, has been contracted to work on the project with foreign bidders on 18 key components such as engines and computer-guided operations.

The Agency for Defense Development has been reviewing proposals from domestic bidders who are to develop 16 core techniques on computerized cargo and data recording systems.

Source: Korea Information Service; issued July 9, 2004

This is the difference between the chinese and my british view in helicopters, as i would view that good money for helicopters, (the attack/transport capabilities together i dont think will work!). The helicopters give s.korea a tactical advantage over N.korea as it enables them to get a lot of men quickly across the border to targets of tactical value, and enables them to out manovre the n.korean forces!

skywalker said:
(the attack/transport capabilities together i dont think will work!). The helicopters give s.korea a tactical advantage over N.korea as it enables them to get a lot of men quickly across the border to targets of tactical value, and enables them to out manovre the n.korean forces!

First, Oh you are British I though you were Russian :D

Well don't forget that the targets of tactical values are heavily guarded by N.Korea soldiers and their AAM's, when those chopters fly to a distance of 5 kilometer, all sleeping men are waken up by the noise.

If you really want to destroy the high-value targets, do it using missiles or attack jets, not helicopters.

Helicopters are only good in relative safe Civilian Environment, not in real combats.

I don't think S.korea really meant using those 447 heli's to attack N.Korea, they are mainly trying to LEARN the technology and upgrade their own Tech, the smart Koreans.

Note:

Another several hundred helicopters will be built simultaneously for export purposes.

The ministry exploratory team's next move is to learn if the three bidders can meet Korea's procurement standards and help Korea develop 34 core components

Targets such as bridges, power plants need to be seized in a war (il go hypothetical)!

I agree that it is mostly for the koreans to expand into a new market by learning how to develop and manufacture helicopters! i doubt they will get too many export orders to start with as the other helicopter producers are fairly well established!

1. Bridges or Powerplants are heavily guarded they are strategic facilities, a couple of helicopters cannot seize those targets at all.

2. I agree those American and European heli manufactures have already established their tech and market, it will be very difficult to Koreans to occupy a large chuck of those market BUT don't forget how Korean car industry is winning fields in the world car market. First Japan did it, then S.Koreans, and I believe next is Chinese cars :D

Just FYI, China at this moment produces 4 million cars per year, it is already the 3th or 4th largets car producer in the world after USA, Japan or maybe Germany.
Well I know the quality is a problem, but it can be overcome given a bit more time.

FlyingFrog said:
1. Bridges or Powerplants are heavily guarded they are strategic facilities, a couple of helicopters cannot seize those targets at all.

Im not saying there going to seize them unaided but if an army needs to cross a river it isnt going to blow up the bridges unless it can help it and if the helicopters are preceded byan airstrike that takes out the defences they should be able to seize it! (the advancing army does need to be close)

2. I agree those American and European heli manufactures have already established their tech and market, it will be very difficult to Koreans to occupy a large chuck of those market BUT don't forget how Korean car industry is winning fields in the world car market. First Japan did it, then S.Koreans, and I believe next is Chinese cars :D.[/quote]

Theres plenty of possible markets for them to expand into!

[/quote]Just FYI, China at this moment produces 4 million cars per year, it is already the 3th or 4th largets car producer in the world after USA, Japan or maybe Germany.
Well I know the quality is a problem, but it can be overcome given a bit more time.[/quote]

Every company has to start somewhere, quality will come!

Back