Rwanda Massacre : Why did UN and retreat and further discuss - Page 7




 
--
 
January 3rd, 2005  
serbianpower
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
only about stability of Europe you say? and do u believe in Santa?

Huh no I don't believe in Santa. Anymore than I believe in the effectiveness of the UN.

NATO was formed as a response to further Soviet Encrouchment on Europe. Not as a world peace keeping force. Their TAOR is Europe.[/quote]

did you ask yourself why UN is not effective?
January 3rd, 2005  
03USMC
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbianpower
did you ask yourself why UN is not effective?
I believe thats been covered. Referance the restrictive ROE's.
January 3rd, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbianpower
did you ask yourself why UN is not effective?
I believe thats been covered. Referance the restrictive ROE's.

but surely that isn't a good reason why the whole UN is no good? they need to get a clear structure together on what circumstances they'll act and let the military decide on ROE. also let the commander on the ground have more say. ie; i see a masacre....i will go stop it.

i figure with the EU almost getting itself together that they (and NATO) would be the first port of call for peacekeeping troops. if the Yanks want to pull out. let them
--
January 3rd, 2005  
03USMC
 
 
The UN does well with Relief and AID missions. Their downfall is peacekeeping. The career ticket punchers do need to let military commanders command.
January 3rd, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
OMG...we....actually...agree on something!
January 3rd, 2005  
03USMC
 
 
I will give credit where it is due to the UN. But it's not due in the peacekeeping arena.
January 3rd, 2005  
Charge 7
 
 
Serbianpower, you stated...

"in one moment america works with al qaida and moment later they are bad guys."

9/11 was hardly a "moment".

Also regarding Hugo. Evidently your English isn't enough to know that "idea" and "ideal" are not the same word.
January 3rd, 2005  
bushpig1998
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbianpower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne
IT'S THE UN what do you expect. did you think they would actually do anything, it is the UN
will you americans everopen your eyes for a minute. it is not important what is un going to do, it is important what is us going to do. wars where un had important and positive role are over. there is no more balance in the world since big evil empire is gone. ruanda happened because america did not have any interest in preventing it, and that`s it. states have different standards for different wars. sitaution in kosovo today is another examploe of this double standards.
I'm sorry, I have to set the record straight here. The US had very little to dow ith the decision not to go into Rwanda. The UN blocked Executive Outcomes when it offered to go in and stop the Genocide. EO managed to stop similar situations in other parts of the world, and they are exceptionally professional. Most of the EO operatives were trained in Africa - they understand the different cultures and the tactics of the guerillas. If I'm not mistaken a large part of EO's staff is made up from the remmants of the South African 32nd Batallion (SF) - one of the few mixed batallaions during the Apartheid years. These guys know their stuff and would have had the situation under control in record time.
But back tot he story - the UN blocked the move. The US could have moved in on it's own - but I'm pretty sure you can understand the reluctance to send troops into any African country. Not only did Somalia turn into a disaster for the DoD, but the PR campaign would be a nightmare -just one soldier that acts "too agressively" and the entire US would be labelled as Racists.We have all seen what propaganda can do if it is used correctly - look at the training thaqt most of today's leaders in Africa got - all from Soviets or China! The masters of propaganda in their day.
January 3rd, 2005  
03USMC
 
 
The UN turned down EO's offer because they didn't want to be mixed up or associated with "Merc's".

Despite the fact that EO secured Freetown in Seirra Leon back in the 90's and made it possible for the UN to operate freely.
January 3rd, 2005  
serbianpower
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Serbianpower, you stated...

"in one moment america works with al qaida and moment later they are bad guys."

9/11 was hardly a "moment".

Also regarding Hugo. Evidently your English isn't enough to know that "idea" and "ideal" are not the same word.
I used the word moment as a figure, 9/11 happened year after situation I mentioned previously.
sorry lapsus linguae, I wanted to say idea.