Russia's recalled Mig-29 SMT's find a home

rock45

This seem to take a long time for me it was a no brainer MIG needed a bailout and Russia's AF taking on these fighter helps MIG’s future. The rumored Peruvian 19 Fulcrum upgrade might turn out positive as well but things still aren't peachy. The Algerian order from was suppose by 2006 and India’s Mig-29K are from a 2004 order are pushed back to 2009.

For Russia’s Fulcrum pilots it’s a step up better radar, engines and just as important a semi modern cockpit. If Russia AF really gets all 34 SMT Fulcrums at once it will be more delivered modern aircraft then Russia had in ten years. More than the current number of upgraded Su-27M1 Flanker project, which has been going on for years.

Yemen has a number of these Mig-29 SMT 9.18, slightly thinner spins the Algerian ordered the 9.19 version which has the thicker spin packed with added internal fuel cells. I can’t find a single thing to read about Yemen’s upgraded Fulcrums anywhere. The only thing I heard is on the rumor side that former East Germans trained the pilots from Yemen.

Article link
Algeria’s MiGs to Land in Russia
http://www.kommersant.com/p1034355/MiG-29_Algeria_Defense_Ministry/

The russians are basically fielding anchient aircraft arnt they. Sad in a way, that they cant afford their own new hardware.

Mig-29

The Mig-29 basic design is dated but if it were a few tons lighter in weight it would be a kickass fighter. It was never brought along for example like the F-15, 16, 18 with different Blocks and upgraded types.

It is sad in a way Russia air force is many years behind the time on many different levels.

I also feel there missile tech is slipping to at one point many years ago Russia was strong in this area the AA-11 with HMS, and AA-10B, were good but in the last ten years only 'planned models" nothing being fielded. Try to Google AA-12/R-77 upgrades and you find very little so their best missile isn't even modern in a way. China ordered 600+ AA-12 missile in their hayday when purchasing the Flankers from Russia but lately nothing, not even replacement missiles. Look at how the AIM120 has been upgraded over the years there's no comprising.

If I were India I'll put the EL-2052 radar and Israeli made weapons systems in the Mig-29Ks, make them a mini MKI Flankers. Maybe go with Israel or South Africa for missiles?

MIG

I do come down on Russian gear but I root for the Mig-29 and for MIG itself, I don't want this aircraft maker to go under. Miss management and lack of government support hurt MIG market share big time.

If Russia would have upgraded for themselves one or two squadron of their own Mig-29s and had press coverage showing what the newer models could do sales would have followed.

This is a aircraft in a pretty basic form beat NATO fighters in mock training in Germany. They had a marketing selling point in which to move forward from but didn't take it. Something like fifteen or sixteen countries used the Mig-29s so even if six or seven of them placed upgrade orders they would have been set.

Miss management was the killer now without a Indian order MIG will be gone in six or seven years. Then MIG and Russia's aircraft industry will have no longer have a mid size fighter on the market only full size, there last small or light fighter success was the great Mig-21.

Back