Russian Weapons.

EagleHammer

I read alot about the Russians bad economy after the collapse of the Soviet Union, So i wonder do the Russians Planes have enough teknology in them to take on the F/A 18 Super Hornet, and the rest of the American fighter's.?
And the Same things with the Russian T-90 And maybe the future T-95, Against M1A2.?

This thread is going to go down hill in a hurry.

I'd say in my very unprofessional opinion the Russians were about 5 to 10 years behind us at the end of the cold war. I think we have opend up the gap since then.

Rabs said:
This thread is going to go down hill in a hurry.

I'd say in my very unprofessional opinion the Russians were about 5 to 10 years behind us at the end of the cold war. I think we have opend up the gap since then.

I think one CIA report had them at 20 years behind in computer technology at the end of the Cold War.

I wouldn't agree with your comments!
When I get home from work, I will try to answer in more details

I would would be more than will to bet that the Abrams outclasses any Russian MBT including the T-90. However from what I hear this new T-95 AKA the 'Black Eagle' is said to be the shiz and could possiblely be a match for the M1A2 Abrams. I am in the dark about Russian aircraft these days but we have the F-22 and F/A- 18 Super Hornet are awesome fighter jets.

I would would be more than will to bet that the Abrams outclasses any Russian MBT including the T-90. However from what I hear this new T-95 AKA the 'Black Eagle' is said to be the shiz and could possiblely be a match for the M1A2 Abrams.

That doesnt mean the russians are catching up technology wise it just means we havent built a new tank in 30 years. If the US build the best tank they could and the Russiasn built the best they could, the US tank would outclass it in all aspects.

How about the all important small arms? The PKM v. the M60 (the M240 is a Belgian design) as a general purpose MG?

EagleHammer said:
I read alot about the Russians bad economy after the collapse of the Soviet Union, So i wonder do the Russians Planes have enough teknology in them to take on the F/A 18 Super Hornet, and the rest of the American fighter's.?
And the Same things with the Russian T-90 And maybe the future T-95, Against M1A2.?

I would recommend this site to compare the planes:

http://www.airwar.ru/aircraftnowe.html

I am not an expert, so don't take my word too seriously:)

I believe, there are different approaches to your question:
1. A plane, a tank, a gun as just A machine
2. The same thing, but as a part of the weapon system

I believe that the Soviet/Russian Military -Industrial Complex was(is) able to produce very good and sometimes, the best weapons.
Fortunately, they never have come into test on a big scale with the American ones.
There are couple of examples - the German air wing with Mig-29s that serves as a sparring partner for the NATO pilots and the Americano-Indian trial combats.
In both cases, if I am not mistaken, the Russian planes are comparable with the American ones.
I have been told that the Russian anti-ships missiles are very good.
The Attack helicopters, too.

However, as a weapon system, the same planes, tanks, ships made by the Russians could be a much weaker force than one might expect - precisely, due to their shortcomings in computers, gadgetry, communications, etc.

This is their endemic problem and can't be improved soon.
The personnel training is an important thing, too.
If the personnel is neglected and untrained, the best technology will not help.

My own personal story - I used to hold a rank of the 1st Lt. of the Soviet AAA artillery(R).
So, my experience(4 years of ROTC an multiple calls for re-training) have been limited to:
1. 5 shots from AKM
2. 3 shots from PM(automatic pistol)
3. A lot of classes(oh, so boring!!)
4. I have never been inside of the working radar station I was supposed to be in charge of.
5. I have never made a shot from my 57-mm gun and never watched her firing
6. After graduation, I have never put my hands on a gun or the radar manuals(there were too secret!)

Could you imagine how good officer I would be when called on active duty?

There is one more point that my Russian friends are making. They say that the weapons have become so complex and so expensive, that the US are going toward the Dead End.
Nobody is going to fight them tank against tank or plane against plane.
More sophistication - less stability, price higher - less quantity.
So, the enemies of the US Forces will be trying unconventional methods, very cheap and effective...

Very few people here get past the nationalism and look at your question and answer it seriously. yes the Russians are behind, but will be catching up in a short time although if i was going to put money on it I would say the Chinese will be catching quicker. 6 billion people and fastest economy in the world will do that.

But again I doubt many here will get past their nationalism.

Very few people here get past the nationalism and look at your question and answer it seriously. yes the Russians are behind, but will be catching up in a short time although if i was going to put money on it I would say the Chinese will be catching quicker. 6 billion people and fastest economy in the world will do that.

But again I doubt many here will get past their nationalism.

What leads you to beleive will be cathing up? We have the highest R&D budgets in the world and almost all high tech inovation is made in the US. So no I think its rather stupid to say the Russians that have a corrupt government and defense industry. Are going to start leap frogging generations.

The chinese do have a fast growing economy that will over take the US sometime around 2050. Also the chinese buy alot of there shit from the russkies which are still a generation behind us. So I dont think there gona start leap frogging generations either.

I have been told that the Russian anti-ships missiles are very good.

The Attack helicopters, too.

The russian missiles are nice, too bad all their delivery sytems are rusting ina hanger or in a dock.

The Hind is a pretty bird, but its a generation behind the Apache.

They say that the weapons have become so complex and so expensive, that the US are going toward the Dead End.

Huh?

Americans estimate Russian weapons as "Out dated "
That is bad habitant I think.
Actually, hard computer was behind western about 10 years.
But,some soft was superior than western'.
For a example,An important article about stealth technology was released by russia in 1957.
But,most communist couldn't understand it and it was translated to english.
The russian missiles are nice, too bad all their delivery sytems are rusting ina hanger or in a dock.
Russian Anti ship missile is nice because they are cheap compared to western missile.
You forget "Black Shark"attack heli and her families.
IMO,Ka-50-2 is very prodigious heli.
Mig-29 and SU-27?
Ja,They are very good fighter but maintainability should be run back.
Why russian fighter is cheap?
Because,russian jet engine is disposable but this tendency is being put on the review.

If russia had the funding, they could make some pretty good tanks that would give the abrams a run for it money. This one looks interesting.

http://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/5pansar/index.htm (scroll down to black eagle tank)

It needs only 3 people to operate and has more armor and a larger gun than the abrams. I don't think they'll produce it anytime soon since it's been postponed for awhile, but they could make something that can rival western tanks like they always did in the past.

A pretty bird? I think you mean an ugly flying bus.

The only good thing I can say for the Hind is that it is a flying tank. It's slow, and it needs to work in pairs.... but at least it can carry troops which is a unique touch for a gunship.

AussieNick said:
A pretty bird? I think you mean an ugly flying bus.

The only good thing I can say for the Hind is that it is a flying tank. It's slow, and it needs to work in pairs.... but at least it can carry troops which is a unique touch for a gunship.

They are bad ass. I saw them in Iraq. The Polish military flys them. They are awesome.

Team Infidel said:
They are bad ass. I saw them in Iraq. The Polish military flys them. They are awesome.

A pair of them scared the shit out of me one early sunday morning in Kosovo flying LOW above our camp site... I think they are awesome too (but not then...:)

On the topic of Russian technology their scientists are very skillfull and capable of designing and bulding good equipment however in a country that saw free marked economy not so many years ago I do not expect an M1A2 killer this decade. It is always a question of money, isn't it?

Last edited:
sunb! said:
On the topic of Russian technology their scientists are very skillfull and capable of designing and bulding good equipment however in a country that saw free marked economy not so many years ago I do not expect an M1A2 killer this decade. It is always a question of money, isn't it?

Money and creativity. :)

How about this:
158.jpg

Versus this?:
m60mg-sa-s.jpg

How does the PKM compare with the M60?

ASTRALdragon said:
Money and creativity. :)

Not just that.
One of the problems with the Russian economy is that the Government wants to either own or control much of it, if not everything.
This puts brakes on economy growth and development into robust market one.
Russia has more than enough money for the weapon production(from her oil profits), but it is not enough to raise the infrustracture, communications and many other things to be able to produce the modern weapon systems on a big scale.

However, it doesn't mean, they can't make some asymmetric and cheap answer to our sophisticated weaponry.

Do you remember that news frenzy in 2003 when Bagdad has been bombed and it has been blamed on the Russians that some smart bombs have missed.
It has been said that the Russian devices made the GPS-based targeting systems fail

Do you remember that news frenzy in 2003 when Bagdad has been bombed and it has been blamed on the Russians that some smart bombs have missed.
It has been said that the Russian devices made the GPS-based targeting systems fail
I dont rember that at all.

I rember rumsfeild being asked this and responding "We hit GPS jammers with GPS guided munitions."

Rabs said:
I dont rember that at all.

I rember rumsfeild being asked this and responding "We hit GPS jammers with GPS guided munitions."

Probably, we were watching different channels:))

I am not saying that these jammers have made a difference then.
However, there is always a possibility of the cheap and assymmetric answer to a complex, powerful and sophisticated weapon...
Like roadside bomb or suicidal bomber...

Back