Russian Weapons. - Page 2

--

August 15th, 2006  
sandy

Americans estimate Russian weapons as "Out dated "
That is bad habitant I think.
Actually, hard computer was behind western about 10 years.
But,some soft was superior than western'.
For a example,An important article about stealth technology was released by russia in 1957.
But,most communist couldn't understand it and it was translated to english.
Quote:
The russian missiles are nice, too bad all their delivery sytems are rusting ina hanger or in a dock.
Russian Anti ship missile is nice because they are cheap compared to western missile.
Quote:
The Hind is a pretty bird, but its a generation behind the Apache.
You forget "Black Shark"attack heli and her families.
IMO,Ka-50-2 is very prodigious heli.
Mig-29 and SU-27?
Ja,They are very good fighter but maintainability should be run back.
Why russian fighter is cheap?
Because,russian jet engine is disposable but this tendency is being put on the review.
August 15th, 2006  
WarMachine

If russia had the funding, they could make some pretty good tanks that would give the abrams a run for it money. This one looks interesting.

http://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/5pansar/index.htm (scroll down to black eagle tank)

It needs only 3 people to operate and has more armor and a larger gun than the abrams. I don't think they'll produce it anytime soon since it's been postponed for awhile, but they could make something that can rival western tanks like they always did in the past.
August 16th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
The Hind is a pretty bird, but its a generation behind the Apache.
A pretty bird? I think you mean an ugly flying bus.

The only good thing I can say for the Hind is that it is a flying tank. It's slow, and it needs to work in pairs.... but at least it can carry troops which is a unique touch for a gunship.
--
August 16th, 2006  
Team Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
A pretty bird? I think you mean an ugly flying bus.

The only good thing I can say for the Hind is that it is a flying tank. It's slow, and it needs to work in pairs.... but at least it can carry troops which is a unique touch for a gunship.
They are bad ass. I saw them in Iraq. The Polish military flys them. They are awesome.
August 16th, 2006  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
They are bad ass. I saw them in Iraq. The Polish military flys them. They are awesome.
A pair of them scared the shit out of me one early sunday morning in Kosovo flying LOW above our camp site... I think they are awesome too (but not then...

On the topic of Russian technology their scientists are very skillfull and capable of designing and bulding good equipment however in a country that saw free marked economy not so many years ago I do not expect an M1A2 killer this decade. It is always a question of money, isn't it?
August 16th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb!
On the topic of Russian technology their scientists are very skillfull and capable of designing and bulding good equipment however in a country that saw free marked economy not so many years ago I do not expect an M1A2 killer this decade. It is always a question of money, isn't it?
Money and creativity.
August 16th, 2006  
2dold4this

How about this:

Versus this?:

How does the PKM compare with the M60?
August 16th, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRALdragon
Money and creativity.
Not just that.
One of the problems with the Russian economy is that the Government wants to either own or control much of it, if not everything.
This puts brakes on economy growth and development into robust market one.
Russia has more than enough money for the weapon production(from her oil profits), but it is not enough to raise the infrustracture, communications and many other things to be able to produce the modern weapon systems on a big scale.

However, it doesn't mean, they can't make some asymmetric and cheap answer to our sophisticated weaponry.

Do you remember that news frenzy in 2003 when Bagdad has been bombed and it has been blamed on the Russians that some smart bombs have missed.
It has been said that the Russian devices made the GPS-based targeting systems fail
August 16th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
Do you remember that news frenzy in 2003 when Bagdad has been bombed and it has been blamed on the Russians that some smart bombs have missed.
It has been said that the Russian devices made the GPS-based targeting systems fail
I dont rember that at all.

I rember rumsfeild being asked this and responding "We hit GPS jammers with GPS guided munitions."
August 16th, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
I dont rember that at all.

I rember rumsfeild being asked this and responding "We hit GPS jammers with GPS guided munitions."

Probably, we were watching different channels)

I am not saying that these jammers have made a difference then.
However, there is always a possibility of the cheap and assymmetric answer to a complex, powerful and sophisticated weapon...
Like roadside bomb or suicidal bomber...