Russian submarines patrol off US east coast

Two Akula class submarines have been patrolling 200 miles off the US east coast but remained just inside international waters, the Pentagon said.
The mission, the first of its kind for at least 15 years, recalled many underwater confrontations of the Cold War when the United States and the Soviet Union regularly stationed submarines off each other's coast to steal military secrets.
The deployment is the latest in a series of developments reminiscent of the Cold War. In the past two years, Russian bombers have resumed patrols in international airspace, forcing the Royal Air Force to scramble jets on dozens of occasions. Russian naval vessels have also conducted exercises close to the Bay of Biscay and the coast of Florida.
James Graybeal, a spokesman for the US Northern Command, sought to play down the activities of the two Russian submarines.
"We have been monitoring them during transit and recognise the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law," he said.
Russia condemned what it described as an atmosphere of "hysteria" surrounding the patrol.
"The Russian navy systematically pinpoints the location of Nato submarines, including US navy submarines, in direct proximity to the territorial waters of the Russian Federation," a military official was quoted as saying by the three main Russian news agencies.
"Consequently, any hysteria in such a case is inappropriate."

Original Article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sian-submarines-patrol-off-US-east-coast.html

A quick look at the Akula class submarine:

287hpc9.jpg

Project 971 Щука-Б (Shchuka-B, 'Shchuka' meaning pike, NATO reporting name "Akula"), is a nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) first deployed by the Soviet Navy in 1986. The class is sometimes erroneously called the "Bars" class, after one of its members.
The Akula incorporates a double hull system composed of an inner pressure hull and an outer "light" hull. This allows more freedom in the design of the exterior hull shape, resulting in a very hydrodynamic submarine compared to western counterparts at the time.
The distinctive "bulb" or "can" seen on top of the Akula's rudder houses its towed sonar array, when retracted.

This is a lot like when Vladimir Putin resumed the long-range air patrols with the Tu-95 "Bear". I found this article pretty interesting, it seems that not all of Russia's navy is rotting in Murmansk.

I still don't like this 'lurking' and 'prowling' around us that's been going on while our military is away. :x It's like...somebody peeking in our windows or creeping in our back yard.

The USA did the exact same thing during the 90's to the Russian Northern Fleet. The Americans were there when the Russian nuclear submarine "Kursk" exploded during a training excersise.

The fact that US troops are fighting in some desert doesnt change much, Putin and Medvedev are just flexing their muscles about and are showing that Russia is still a force to reckon with.

The Americans were there when the Russian nuclear submarine "Kursk" exploded during a training excersise.

The US Navy wasn't the only one.

And that's a pretty severe twisting of what was going on at the time. Several navies were in the area offering assistance in the rescue operation but Russian pride got in the way and the decision to allow British and Norwegian divers to give a try came far too late and all hands on board had been lost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_Kursk_explosion#Rescue_attempts

I'm a little disappointed that the Pentagon actually announced that it detected thse submarines off the US coast. They're one of the quietest diesel electric subs in the world so it would have been better to just let the Russians wonder if the US was actually picking them up or not.

I didnt twist anything. I was talking about the very moment the Kursk exploded, not the days after or the rescue attempts by the Northern Fleet. The USS Memphis was watching the Russians at the time, and they were supported by Norweigians.

And who said the Russians didnt want to be discovered? If they didnt want to be found, then this topic wouldnt have ever been made.

The US Navy wasn't the only one.

And that's a pretty severe twisting of what was going on at the time. Several navies were in the area offering assistance in the rescue operation but Russian pride got in the way and the decision to allow British and Norwegian divers to give a try came far too late and all hands on board had been lost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_Kursk_explosion#Rescue_attempts

I'm a little disappointed that the Pentagon actually announced that it detected thse submarines off the US coast. They're one of the quietest diesel electric subs in the world so it would have been better to just let the Russians wonder if the US was actually picking them up or not.
The Akula is a Nuclear Attack Submarine, not a conventionally powered submarine. A lot more loiter time off your coastline in a nuc boat.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I looked up the wrong submarine!

Think I accidentally was looking at the Kilo Class submarines.

Last edited:
Personally I am happy that they are rusting away but it is a pretty sad sight for what used to be a grand submarine fleet.

By the way, that picture is of a Typhoon-class SSBN, not an Akula SSN. The terminology is strange, though, because what we call the "Typhoon" is what the Russians call the "Akula", and what we call the "Akula", the Russians call the "Shchuka-B".

This is an Akula-II:
imagefm8.jpg

Yes, the key word is "WAS." As in the USSR had a military it couldn't afford.
If suddenly Russia became super rich and sustainably rich, then it could afford a very large and expensive military.
I agree and disagree with you depending on whether I actually agree or not but it seems if I say anything short of Russia nut-rubbing you go right off the deep end.

By the way, that picture is of a Typhoon-class SSBN, not an Akula SSN. The terminology is strange, though, because what we call the "Typhoon" is what the Russians call the "Akula", and what we call the "Akula", the Russians call the "Shchuka-B".

This is an Akula-II:
imagefm8.jpg

Ahh dang, I just searched "Akula Sub" in google images... my bad, sorry! :(

Yes, the key word is "WAS." As in the USSR had a military it couldn't afford.
If suddenly Russia became super rich and sustainably rich, then it could afford a very large and expensive military.
I agree and disagree with you depending on whether I actually agree or not but it seems if I say anything short of Russia nut-rubbing you go right off the deep end.

My bad x2, I thought you ment that the USSR had a military that Russia would never be able to afford, or something along those lines.

The reason I go off is because you, with the exception of the rare times you compliment something thats from Russia, is "Well its a scrap of metal anyways that has been pressed together" etc etc.

Back