Russian Resurgence Should Cause U.S. Worry, Army Ops Chief Warns

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Aerospace Daily & Defense Report
September 5, 2008
Pg. 9

The resurgence of Russia is cause for worry, according to Lt. Gen. James Thurman, U.S. Army deputy chief of staff for operations, who says the U.S. is in a very dangerous period.
"When I hear [people say] the Army is at its breaking point, I do not see that," Thurman said Sept. 4 at an Association for the U.S. Army (AUSA) breakfast in Washington. But the recent invasion of Georgia by Russia will test the operational capacity of U.S. forces.
"Hopefully that got everyone's attention," Thurman said, referring to the Russian incursion. The U.S. is involved in one of its longest wars, he added, "and I don't see an end in sight."
Thurman said he believes the U.S. will be involved in sustained operations for at least the next 25 years. "These wars will require a deep and enduring commitment," he said. Since 1989, the Army has deployed 43 times, with more missions and fewer soldiers as the years have passed. A primary focus of the Army is to grow the active force to 1.1 million troops by fiscal 2011. "I don't believe we can take a time-out," Thurman said. "We're all in right now."
-- Bettina H. Chavanne

Back