Russian Region Bans Bath Cleaner

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
As part of an anti-alcoholism campaign, authorities in the Russian region of Krasnoyarsk have banned the sale of a brand of bath-cleaning liquid. The spirit-based liquid was a popular drink among some of the locals, Regnum news agency reported Tuesday.

“The liquid is 95 percent proof industrial alcohol,” the head of the Pirovsky district, Alexander Pokhodin, said.

“It is sold in plastic bottles of 250 g, costs just 20 rubles ($0.70), and the local people love to drink it,” he added.

The cleaner, a legal product, could not be barred by administrative means. However, after talks with the administration head, local shop owners agreed it was best to stop selling it.

“I offered them statistics of deaths caused by industrial spirit poisonings,” Pokhodin said. “And although I could not ban the liquid, I asked them to stop selling it, and in three weeks it disappeared from the shops.”

More than 13,000 people died in Russia of “accidental alcohol poisoning” in the first four months of this year alone, the AFP news agency reports. High death rates from drinking are even worse due to the consumption of “surrogate” alcohols — products that contain alcohol but are not intended for consumption, such as aftershave products and cleaning fluids.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/11/29/cleanerbarred.shtml

Be sure to click on the link the photo accompanying this story is the best part. :lol:

What I thought was most interesting was the article next to the one posted.

Russian Govt. to Monopolize Alcohol Production in 2006 — Minister

Russia’s Agriculture Minister Alexei Gordeyev said on Tuesday, Nov. 29, that he expects the state to monopolize the country’s alcohol market sometime in 2006.

Looks like the Russian government is trying to corner the market.

Back