Russian Orthodox Church

Prapor

You know, right now we are having a lot of arguments about our Church. Some people say that Patriarch Kirill, our... our Pope, so to speak
patriarch-cyrillos.jpg

has fallen from the path of true faith. They point to the fact that the upper echelon of the Church, including the Patriarch himself, are rich, and are increasingly power-hungry.

They have us look at the Patriarch's great personal wealth: his yacht, "Pallada"
IMG_5635.jpg

one of the most luxurious private vessels in this country, probably number three, after Putin's floating Kremlin, whatever it is actually called; and Roman Abramovich's "Pelorus".

They also ask us to consider that Pavel, the Patriarch of Serbia, for example, travels around by way of public transport; while our Kirill prefers to ride in style
sm_users_img-29006.jpg
sm_users_img-29008.jpg
sm_users_img-29010.jpg
sm_users_img-29012.jpg

Look, they say, at all these Holy Fathers, preaching about modesty and austersity, and then getting into their BMWs
774463987.jpg

and Lexuses
287497349.jpg

But, what I personally think is, the Church is the single greatest provider of moral support in this country. Majority of people, especially rural, but increasingly among urban population as well, when they are having problems in their marriage, or they need some sort of advice about how to find happiness in life, they don't go to psychiatrists, or counsellors, or such, as many of you Westerns do, I understand. No, they go to church. They go to their priest.
ispoved.jpg

img1033nz.jpg

Those militant atheists, nostalgic for the Godless Soviet days, are fighting a losing battle IMHO

The Church is everywhere now, be it in the military
voinsv.jpg

6FFD8955-684E-4A47-8B63-420A427DF47B_mw800_mh600_s.jpg

00B5C7AD-94B9-4788-B8F7-F769FABDE490_mw800_mh600_s.jpg

or in schools
voskresnaya-shkola.jpg

I-16-CHTO-text-f101_640.jpg
14f4b76fdb63d8b7cb48598b1e9.jpg

002.jpg

They bless new babies in birth houses
image4.jpg

And people are, indeed, flowing back to their Faith, after decades of Soviet repression
2%2815%29-23-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%B9NOV_9309.jpg

No, the Church is coming back, it is taking back all its former power and glory, whether the atheists like it or not. The atheists will die out anyway: we, faithful people, are having 3 times as many children as they do. We are growing, they cannot even match their death rate. This will be OUR country again, in 10, maybe 20 years :-D

I am sure I have mentioned this before but your nation is a textbook study, you have the wealthy, educated types with few kids and no need for a god and then you have the uneducated masses with a ton of kids all praying for a way out.

Oh and I would be one of those "atheists" that are apparently an endangered species, well to be honest I am more an agnostic as the scientist in me can not entirely discount the existence of a "god or gods" as even though there is no proof one exists there is also no proof one doesn't but given the choice of man's version of a god and atheism I will take atheism any day.

“Religion is the last refuge of human savagery” - Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947)

Another great observation, Prapor; you promote understanding and discussion of historic and current issues; the visuals support your propositions so well, interest is held and weighed. More please, your choice.

I am sure I have mentioned this before but your nation is a textbook study, you have the wealthy, educated types with few kids and no need for a god and then you have the uneducated masses with a ton of kids all praying for a way out.

Oh and I would be one of those "atheists" that are apparently an endangered species, well to be honest I am more an agnostic as the scientist in me can not entirely discount the existence of a "god or gods" as even though there is no proof one exists there is also no proof one doesn't but given the choice of man's version of a god and atheism I will take atheism any day.

“Religion is the last refuge of human savagery” - Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947)

Brothers Aleksei and Dmitry Ananiev
1374953_20110516155204.jpg

bankers, and also strict adherents of the Orthodox faith. Russia richest family right now (http://www.newsru.com/religy/16may2011/ananiev.html) Donate millions to the Church every year. Aleksei has 3 children, Dmitry - 4. :)

Another great observation, Prapor; you promote understanding and discussion of historic and current issues; the visuals support your propositions so well, interest is held and weighed. More please, your choice.

Thank you. I try my best :D

Think about this - Communist leaders spent nearly a century trying to eliminate churches of all kinds. Now that they have fallen, what segment of society is blooming? Is it just the Orthodox or churches of all denominations?
One of the reasons why I no longer "belong" to any Christian denomination is exactly for the reasons you show - great riches to the church and its power structure - while the masses suffer in poverty!
Almost like the current mode of royal aristocracy.

Think about this - Communist leaders spent nearly a century trying to eliminate churches of all kinds. Now that they have fallen, what segment of society is blooming? Is it just the Orthodox or churches of all denominations?
One of the reasons why I no longer "belong" to any Christian denomination is exactly for the reasons you show - great riches to the church and its power structure - while the masses suffer in poverty!

Oh, everyone is coming back

Muslims
print_51878_tatar.jpg

prin_islam_003.jpg

6750f121338e6ecbc5b5b0e4ea5.jpg

Buddhists
img_8733.jpg

1291135990_2010_11_russian_teaching_1.jpg

Even Shamanism, in the North Siberia and in Republic of Tyva
29.jpg

I think it is wonderful, though may prove divisive in the long run...

True about the Church's wealth. However, keep in mind that it is the Church, priests and nuns, who run Children's Homes, alongside their monasteries and churches.
298_9824.jpg
voskresnaya-school.jpg
L_2010_5_6.bmp
big6426.jpg

They take children that nobody else wants. Street children, who cannot remember their parents, some that do not even know their real names. Children suffering from mental illness. Children-alcoholics. Children-narcomaniacs.

They take them and raise them to be better.

Last edited:
Prapor, This made my day and I love the photos! Russia is truly blessed to have their faith restored and this makes me happy that people can practice their religions freely in Russia again. I hope that Christianity is spread throughout Russia and the world because more people should know Jesus Christ as our compassionate savior. May Godd Bless you and watch over you, Prapor.

Actually that was the reason my father gave for abandoning the church as well, his experiences of WW2 he said as they went through North Africa, Italy and Europe all you found were destitute people begging for help in towns with no facilities (hospitals, schools etc) but they all had grand cathedrals, churches and mosques.

Actually that was the reason my father gave for abandoning the church as well, his experiences of WW2 he said as they went through North Africa, Italy and Europe all you found were destitute people begging for help in towns with no facilities (hospitals, schools etc) but they all had grand cathedrals, churches and mosques.

which were built by the poor and the artistically gifted for the common person to worship in - all for God and future generations. many of them have kitchens out the back supplying soup and sandwhiches for the poor.

which were built by the poor and the artistically gifted for the common person to worship in - all for God and future generations. many of them have kitchens out the back supplying soup and sandwhiches for the poor.

Well I guess soup kitchens are important, wouldnt want the flock starving to death before they are completely fleeced.

Back