The Russian Navy Challenged The Royal Navy

So let me see if I understand this, a Russian ship sailed agressively up to Scotland then sat there threateningly waiting for the Royal Navy to show up 24 hours later.

The Royal Navy then bravely blocked it in even though it could have left any time in the 24 hours it took for them to get there.

Couldn't the RAF sent one of those new fangled aeroplanes which would have taken all of 20 minutes to reach the Russian ship?

Last time the Russians did this in the Med during an exercise in 1970 the Royal Navy rammed the Soviet and told them to bugger off. But that was when we had a navy, not the joke we've got now

Last edited:
So let me see if I understand this, a Russian ship sailed agressively up to Scotland then sat there threateningly waiting for the Royal Navy to show up 24 hours later.

The Royal Navy then bravely blocked it in even though it could have left any time in the 24 hours it took for them to get there.

Couldn't the RAF sent one of those new fangled aeroplanes which would have taken all of 20 minutes to reach the Russian ship?

I was thinking the same thing. When the Russian navy does something in the Baltic Sea, the Swedes don't send out their navy, they send their JAS-39 Gripen.

The RAF might have been busy at a nice four star hotel :p

I was thinking the same thing. When the Russian navy does something in the Baltic Sea, the Swedes don't send out their navy, they send their JAS-39 Gripen.

The RAF might have been busy at a nice four star hotel :p

I get the impression when reading these reports that many of them are made for media productions they roll out just before budget time to try and sway the disposition of funding.

Last edited:
Putin is stepping into the vacuum that the US, under the "leadership" of Obama, has left.

When the cat's away the mice will play.

Putin has been sending cold war "Bear" aircraft towards British air space, trying to determine RAF response times. The photo below is of English Electric Lightnings of 74 Tiger Squadron doing an intercept during the cold war

Last edited:
Putin is stepping into the vacuum that the US, under the "leadership" of Obama, has left.

When the cat's away the mice will play.
It seems that it is unbelievable for you the US is gradually losing her power in the world. And not obama nor any other US leadership couldn't stop it. The world is changing. It is not 1970 or 80. This story happened/is happening and will happen for any superpower in the world.

It seems that it is unbelievable for you the US is gradually losing her power in the world. And not obama nor any other US leadership couldn't stop it. The world is changing. It is not 1970 or 80. This story happened/is happening and will happen for any superpower in the world.

It IS because of Obama. Destroying his political opponents (republicans) comes first. Votes for his party are more important than national security.
Tea Party groups were harassed by the IRS while Islamic charities with proven terroist ties got the go ahead. Stronger, he even congratulated them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l235zyfsdQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l235zyfsdQ[/ame]

Some ISNA founding members :
Sami Al-Arian - Palestinian Islamic Jihad
Mahboob Khan - friend of Ayman al-Zawahiri (Al Qaeda)
Sayyid Muhammad Syeed - Secretary General of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), an organization that enforces Wahhabi theological writ in some 1,200 mosques in America. Counter-terrorism expert Stephen Schwartz describes the ISNA as “one of the chief conduits through which the radical Saudi form of Islam passes into the United States.”

Really it is all Obama's fault?
You don't think that maybe it is because the nation has bankrupted itself by living well beyond its means for years and then compounded that by burying itself in a pointless and never ending war that it can not win by force of arms that is draining its resources further?

I would suggest that the cold war did more to bring down the USA than Obama could ever have done.

Mean while back in the Atlantic I am still at a loss as to why the RAF was not used to challenge this Russian ship if it was really as threatening as it is reported to have been, which is why I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Last edited:
It IS because of Obama. Destroying his political opponents (republicans) comes first. Votes for his party are more important than national security.
Tea Party groups were harassed by the IRS while Islamic charities with proven terroist ties got the go ahead. Stronger, he even congratulated them.

Some ISNA founding members :
Sami Al-Arian - Palestinian Islamic Jihad
Mahboob Khan - friend of Ayman al-Zawahiri (Al Qaeda)
Sayyid Muhammad Syeed - Secretary General of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), an organization that enforces Wahhabi theological writ in some 1,200 mosques in America. Counter-terrorism expert Stephen Schwartz describes the ISNA as “one of the chief conduits through which the radical Saudi form of Islam passes into the United States.”
I have your answer and I know why you hate Obama but I don't say it because this thread will change to an Israel-Palestine or Israel-Iran thread again.

Last edited:
You don't think that maybe it is because the nation has bankrupted itself by living well beyond its means for years and then compounded that by burying itself in a pointless and never ending war that it can not win by force of arms that is draining its resources further?

I would suggest that the cold war did more to bring down the USA than Obama could ever have done.

Mean while back in the Atlantic I am still at a loss as to why the RAF was not used to challenge this Russian ship if it was really as threatening as it is reported to have been, which is why I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

The resources of the USA are still OK, it's the leadership that is in trouble.
The country is far from bankrupt and has huge assets. Sure they spend more than they earn, but so does New Zealand, Australia, and almost all other countries in the world. The cold war did not bring down the USA but the USSR.

About the Atlantic, I agree with you.

The resources of the USA are still OK, it's the leadership that is in trouble.
The country is far from bankrupt and has huge assets. Sure they spend more than they earn, but so does New Zealand, Australia, and almost all other countries in the world. The cold war did not bring down the USA but the USSR.

About the Atlantic, I agree with you.

Really you would consider having your debt at between 75% (Congressional Budget Office figures) and 102% (Pretty much everyone else) of GDP "Ok"

By comparison we Have New Zealand at 35%, Australia 20% neither of which is good but I would suggest preferable to 100% and last but not least Russia at 8%, makes you wonder who really won the Cold War.

There is no doubt that the US leadership has failed but that has been a problem for at least the last 20-60 years not just the last 8

I think you'll find the Russian ship was in the North Sea.

The RAF did a number of reconnaissance flights over the ship and I have no doubt that a Royal Navy nuclear submarine was lurking nearby.

One thing this story has shown up is the bloody ridiculous shortage of Royal Navy warships

I think you'll find the Russian ship was in the North Sea.

The RAF did a number of reconnaissance flights over the ship and I have no doubt that a Royal Navy nuclear submarine was lurking nearby.

One thing this story has shown up is the bloody ridiculous shortage of Royal Navy warships

I think NATO was able to track this naval vessel from the time it left port, if the cruiser originated from Murmansk, the GIUK lines of sonars probably picked it up, and with aerial reconnaissance assets too. I suspect there was something else, if NATO had viewed the presence of the cruiser as aggressive, the naval forces of NATO had responded accordingly.

This is why 2 new Heavy 65 thousand tons carriers are being built, a new class of frigates the type 26 are being built, 7 of the most advanced submarine class in the world (im serious type the astute class submarine into google, these things are amazing!) are planned to come into construction. 6 air defence and anti-missile destroyers teh most advanced in the world once again are under construction. We may not be the largest navy in the world but by damn were the most advanced!

The Russians are going for a huge build up in the Arctic..

Russia is returning to the Arctic and “intensifying the development of this promising region” so it needs to “have all the levers for the protection of its security and national interests,” Putin said on Tuesday at an expanded meeting of the Defense Ministry Board.
He ordered the ministry to complete the formation of new military units and infrastructure in the Arctic next year.
"I would like you to devote special attention to deploying infrastructure and military units in the Arctic," the president said in televised remarks.
Russia is reinstating its military base in the Novosibirsk Archipelago (New Siberian Islands), which had been abandoned by the military in 1993, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. The islands “have key meaning for the control of the situation in the entire Arctic region,” Putin told the top military brass.
This year, Russia has also started restoring its Arctic airfields including one called “Temp” on Kotelny Island near the city of Norilsk. It is also overhauling urban facilities in Tiksi, Naryan-Mar, and Anadyr.

This is why 2 new Heavy 65 thousand tons carriers are being built, a new class of frigates the type 26 are being built, 7 of the most advanced submarine class in the world (im serious type the astute class submarine into google, these things are amazing!) are planned to come into construction. 6 air defence and anti-missile destroyers teh most advanced in the world once again are under construction. We may not be the largest navy in the world but by damn were the most advanced!

The point is, the British Government have stated that there is no money for aircraft to fly off of the new carriers, but they did point out that the Americans could fly their aircraft off of it. Its a bloody disgrace.

I remember in late (around November) 1970 there was a massive NATO exercise in the Med, I was on detachment to RAF Luqa in Malta at the time, apparently a Soviet ship was poking its nose in and getting in too close, and was then rammed by the Royal Navy and told to bugger off.

Last edited:

By lavishly spending the peoples money Obama has single handedly quadruped the deficit. He has set the record for borrowing money for his programs which cannot be paid for with tax payers money. Yes this issues existed before Obama but no other president - administration has taken it to this extreme. China is happy to have Obama in office.

Last edited:
Back