Russian "M82"

Mikey said:
Snauhi said:
SHERMAN said:
I hate it. The M82 is semi-auto, and that thing is harder to load

And I assume you say that based on experience on both weapons? Bolt action rifles are usually more accurate.

Have you tried M82 and that one and have you ever shot an bolt-action rifle?

M82 is super heavy,while this looks much more lighter.

Because the M82 looks cool doesent mean its good... movies aint nothing to take info eather.

I never understood the wish for a bolt action accuracy over semi-auto firepower. Prime example they now have 3 man sniper teams in Iraq, because of security issues. Especially in an Urban enviroment would you rather have a let's say a remington 700 bolt action or an M-14. It sounds funny but sometimes I think sniper are too obsessed with accuracy.This isn't US SWAT taking out a lone suspect holding a hostage, this is urban combat, and bad thing can happen fast. The M-14 is accurate enough at long ranges and I rather have the option to help my team and throw a lot of lead at the enemy if a large group of them gets wise to your location and pops up less than 50ft away. The same hold true for the high caliber M-82. It is great for taking out vehicles plus personel (which I still don't understand how they get around the geneva convention thing) but in terms getting caught in a bad spot, I rather not have that big heavy thing.

Everything doesn't take place in todays Iraq. There are situation in war when accuracy and being metodic rather then to get several rounds off in a shot amount of time pays off. Theres different areas for different types of situation.

A sniper isn't always (at least wern't) a method of protecting your troops (well it does it in any ways, but not always directly)

Another use for a sniper is to take out key figures, often used in guerilla fighting (maybe not the modern bomb generation) and this is where acuracy comes in.

Mikey said:
Would you rather fawn over a pretty girl and go home to an empty bed or ask out her not so pretty girlfrend who is willing and able. Rifles are like women, would you rather have a high maintenance pretty M16 A1 or a low Maintenance ugly AK47 that will work when you need it the most

Damn it, I do fawn over a pretty girl in life, but not with weapons for some reason.

Snauhi said:
Damien435 said:
Mikey said:
Damien435 said:
Whispering Death said:
ain't much to look at.

Off course not, it was built the typical Russian way (it is a Russian weapon, right?) Their guns are not meant to win beauty contests, they are made so that you can kick, drop, put some sand in it, leave it in a rice paddy for 12 days, take it out, keep the dirt off of it, and go kill your enemies.

Would you rather fawn over a pretty girl and go home to an empty bed or ask out her not so pretty girlfrend who is willing and able. Rifles are like women, would you rather have a high maintenance pretty M16 A1 or a low Maintenance ugly AK47 that will work when you need it the most

Did I miss something because that made no sense to me.

me eather. :?

Would you rather have a pretty gun that may jam on you when you are being shot at (m-16), or would you rather have a ugly gun that always works (AK-47)...

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
Yes a bolt-action is usually more accurate, but I prefer semi-auto. Yes I have used a bolt-action. I hate it because I hate all bullpup design weapons.

because you dont like the look of them?

Yeah, I can just see it now, Commander of an army looks at a new gun thats as good as any in the world, but overall smaller, and he goes ''nope, dont like how it looks''

Mikey said:
It sounds funny but sometimes I think sniper are too obsessed with accuracy.This isn't US SWAT taking out a lone suspect holding a hostage, this is urban combat, and bad thing can happen fast. The M-14 is accurate enough at long ranges and I rather have the option to help my team and throw a lot of lead at the enemy if a large group of them gets wise to your location and pops up less than 50ft away. The same hold true for the high caliber M-82. It is great for taking out vehicles plus personel (which I still don't understand how they get around the geneva convention thing) but in terms getting caught in a bad spot, I rather not have that big heavy thing.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, where did you gain your vast wealth of knowledge in the deployment and selection of sniper systems and Sniper team tactics?

Snipers too obsessed with accuracy? Thats their job. They fire precision shoots at specific targets ensuring the target is neutralized.

What your talking about is a long range spray and pray doctrine and don't wash.

Mikey said:
It sounds funny but sometimes I think sniper are too obsessed with accuracy.

That sounds hilarious, not just funny. Ridiculous if I may say so. Sniper's first priority is accuracy. If you can't shoot accurately, no matter how well you can camouflage and crawl, you're useless. Usually a sniper can get only one shot off, chances rarely present themselves for continous fire adjustments, unless we're talking about extreme distances, like in the case of those Canadian snipers that set the world record for longest range combat kill in Afghanistan. I think something like 1.5 miles? Pretty crazy.

Anyone else noticed how russian sniper rifles tend to have the scope placement very close to the stock? One of the complains I've heard about the SVD is that the scope placement is uncomfortable, that .50 cal seems to follow a similar design pattern also.

Back