Russian forces closer to Norway?

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
Source Norwaypost.com

Military analysts believe Russian military forces may be deployed closer to Norwegian territory in the High North, if Russia makes good its threat to break the CFE arms treaty.

The Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) treaty limits the number of key offensive weapons like tanks, artillery and aircraft across the continent, including the territory close to the Norwegian northern border. If Russia puts a moratorium on the CFE treaty, it could have serious consequences also for Norway, says analyst John Kristen Skogan of the Norwegian Institute for Peace Studies.

- This could open for Russia to move new weapons and troops to wherever they chose, Skogan says.

Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere, on the other hand, does not agree that there is such a threat in the north.

I believe the Russians are more concerned with building their forces up. They are in no shape to cause an incident, especially with NATO and they know this.

The question is and always have been, will NATO stand together if lets for arguments sake a northern allied is drawn into a limited incident regarding..ohh I dunno, lets say fishingrights?.......

KJ, again cynical..

The question is and always have been, will NATO stand together if lets for arguments sake a northern allied is drawn into a limited incident regarding..ohh I dunno, lets say fishingrights?.......

Unless Russia pour 3 armoured divisions and 5 infantry divisions from the Cola Penninsula across the border, NATO as organization is not concerned. Some bad mouthing and business as usual in three weeks time.

Agreed sunb!
The point I was making was..
A seaborne incident could quickly develop into a balls to the wall confrontation.
That is the simple basis for the argument I made..

Ofcourse they are going to huff and puff some.
Not serious untill the first russian ship is turned away, giving the red fleet an excuse to come out and play..
We are paid to look at the worst possible scenario, there it is..

Anyone see a Tom Clancy type novell in my future? heh.

Back