Russian flights set off new defense scramble

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
Sources: Various - quotation from Aftenposten English Web Desk

Russian flights set off new defense scramble

More Russian bombers flew off Norway's coast on early Tuesday, prompting the military to scramble once again, just hours before a bomb threat kept them busy on land.

Two Norwegian F16s were dispatched from Bodø to identify the flights, which turned out to be two TU-160 "Blackjack" flights, according to NATO's description.
The bombers were introduced in 1987, and are among the heaviest fighter aircraft ever built.
NATO's air operations center at Reitan outside Bodø said they seldom try to get the Russian flights to change course. Instead, the Norwegian military's goal is to identify foreign aircraft and control their movements near Norwegian territory.
The Norwegians also want to consistently demonstrate that they are closely monitoring unidentified aircraft that fly near Norwegian air space.
The Norwegian F16s followed the Russian flights as they flew south, but returned to Bodø after about 45 minutes. The Russian flights continued south towards Britain, where they were met by British fighter jets.
It was the latest in a series of such flights, which the Russians claim are training missions. NATO officials believe the Russians are trying to demonstrate renewed military muscle.

Mysterious package
Norway's northern military command, meanwhile, was faced later on Tuesday with a bomb threat, after someone placed a package outside the main entrance to the Landsdelskommando Nord-Norge in Bodø.
The unidentified package weighed about 15 kilos and was immediately removed from the gate after it was discovered about 7:30am.
Officials said they have clear photos of the car that delivered the package, which was taken to a football field for any necessary dismantling.

Flew toward to Britain until met up by the British fighter jets? That's not good.

Hopefully, Norway's prepared for any nonsense from them.

22b520ec.gif

Do the Russians still probe British airspace regularly? I knew there was much furore about it in the media, but it seems to have calmed down.

SGE.UKE67.140907111314.photo00.photo.jpg

one of the incidents from Sept 14th, 2007 I think.

The Chinese sometimes probe Japanese territory, they've done it a few times already. Their fishing boats travel in and out of North Korea's territory pretty freely it seems but I am not sure about their Navy. If they do, they probably only play up north.
The Chinese have not violated South Korean waters intentionally as far as I know.

Back