Russian Doomsday Missile: Iskander-E

Lunatik

Russia has been finding a ready market for weapons it was developing at the end of the Cold War, but had to suspend work on during the 1990s because of lack of money. One of the more popular of these now available weapons is the SS-26 (9M723K1, or "Iskander") ballistic missile. Syria, Kuwait, South Korea, India and the United Arab Emirates are all interested in buying some. The United States was so impressed by Iskander, that it has threatened economic retaliation on Russia if Syria got hold of Iskanders. Despite that, the Russians are eager to make sales of the half million dollar missiles, as well as the transporter vehicle (from which the missiles are fired.) The Iskanders cost varies depending on which warhead and guidance system they were equipped with.

The Iskander finally completed its development in the last few years. The 3.8 ton missile has a range of 280 kilometers, and a 900 pound warhead. Russia sells several different types of warheads, including cluster munitions, thermobaric (fuel-air explosive) and electro-magnetic pulse (anti-radar, and destructive to electronics in general.) Guidance is very accurate, using GPS, plus infrared homing for terminal guidance. The warhead will land within 30 feet of the aim point. Iskanders are carried in a 20 ton 8x8 truck, which also provides a launch platform. There is also a reload truck that carries two missiles.

Another unique feature of Iskander is that it is not a traditional ballistic missile. That is, it does not fire straight up, leave the atmosphere, then come back down, following a ballistic trajectory. Instead, Iskander stays in the atmosphere and follows a rather flat trajectory. It is capable of evasive maneuvers and deploying decoys. This makes it more difficult for anti-missile systems to take it down. This is why the U.S. made so much noise when it looked like Syria might get some.

Russia is buying several dozen Iskanders for its own military. These versions have a longer range (400 kilometers) and more countermeasures (to interception). Russia will not provide details. Russia has admitted that it could use Iskander to destroy the U.S. anti-missile systems in a pre-emptive attack. Just in case Russia wanted to start World War III for some reason or another.

Russia developed the solid fuel Iskander to replace its Cold War era SS-23 battlefield ballistic missiles (which in turn had replaced SCUD). The SS-23 had to be withdrawn from service and destroyed by 1991, because the 1987 Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty prohibited missiles with ranges between 500 and 5,300 kilometers. When post Cold War financial problems slowed down development of Iskander, this left Russia dependent on the shorter range (120 kilometers) SS-21 system, along with some aging SCUDS, for battlefield ballistic missile support. Russia used some of these older missiles against Chechen rebels in the 1990s.

IskanderMissile.jpg

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htart/articles/20081007.aspx

big truck...big launcher...if they launch it we can see it. if we can see it we can kill it. look into the israeli air campaign in lebanon 2006. the big rocket launchers were destroyed a few minutes after launch...

This sounds like an ATACMS with a proper guidance system and a little more kick. But I don't know what they mean by "countermeasures", maybe decoy warheads or lateral thrusters for increased maneuverability?

Russia's Iskander-E missile systems see strong foreign demand

Several countries have shown an interest in purchasing Russia's advanced Iskander-E short-range ballistic missile systems, state arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Wednesday.

The Iskander-E (SS-26 Stone) is a tactical surface-to-surface missile complex designed to deliver high-precision strikes at a variety of ground targets at a range of up to 280 km (170 miles). It carries a single warhead with a payload of 400 kg to comply with the limits laid down by the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).

"Syria, the UAE, Malaysia, India and some other countries have shown an interest in the missile system," said Rosoboronexport official Nikolai Dimidyuk.

Russia will also seek to export the Iskander-E to Algeria, Kuwait, Singapore, Vietnam, and South Korea, he added.

The Iskander-E has a launch weight of 3,800 kg and is deployed on a transporter erector launcher (TEL) vehicle that carries two missiles. The missiles incorporate 'stealth' technology and feature variable flight trajectory.

They can reportedly be launched within a minute of each other and have a circular-error probable (CEP) of 30 meters.

An Iskander battery comprises TELs, loaders, and a command vehicle. Target acquisition is supported by a mobile data-processing center.
Dimidyuk also said Russia is forming a brigade of Iskander-M SRBM systems with longer ranges and heavier payloads than the export [Iskander-E] version.

"The system has been adopted in service with Russia's armed forces and, as far as I know, a brigade [of Iskander systems] is being formed," he said.

In an interview with the Nezavisimaya Gazeta daily in July, Col. Gen. Viktor Yesin, a former commander of the Russian Strategic Missile Forces, said Moscow could deploy tactical Iskander-M missiles in the Kaliningrad Region or in Belarus, from where they could reach U.S. ground based interceptors in Poland.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2008/russia-081001-rianovosti01.htm

I'm deeply impressed by Iskander as well. It's a very different approach to air attack. A power can hit & destroy targets like bridges, depots and likely even warships without the huge investment and proficiency requirements of an air force. No SEAD, AEW&C, CAP are necessary to get the warhead on target. The Russian original version with the terminal phase seeker is reputed with such a good accuracy that you can select WHERE to hit a building like a bridge, not just HOW LIKELY. And it's really no normal SRBM - it should rather be considered as a high-flying top-attack hypervelocity missile. It's probably more a descendant of the Soviet CVN-buster missiles than of Scud. The warhead does not separate - it seems to remain in one piece until impact. That does pretty much exclude the possibility of effective decoys. Cost limits prevent effective jamming. Survivability against normal AD and AD with ATBM does therefore likely rest on an (in effect) evasive maneuver pattern on descend. There are some technologies to detect & track such trucks, but there are effective countermeasures as well. A smart user wouldn't get busted in an inhabited region. The Hebollah example is not applicable. The Israelis had (as before the Bekaa valley campaign as well) enough time to collect intel during peacetime. NATO's inability to destroy much of the smart Yugoslavian air defences in 1999 is a better argument. Iskander is in my opinion the operational strike weapon technology of choice for powers that don't trust their fighter bombers' ability to accomplish strike missions.

I think it's more of a ground launched cruise missile more then anything.

The Russian original version with the terminal phase seeker is reputed with such a good accuracy that you can select WHERE to hit a building like a bridge, not just HOW LIKELY. And it's really no normal SRBM - it should rather be considered as a high-flying top-attack hypervelocity missile.
Most Russian smart weapons aren't at western standards as far accuracy do we assume this weapon can hit what it's aimed at? Can we assume they can find targets? Look how Russia fought in Georgia and what weapons they used and how they controlled battle field. Judging how Russia fought I don't see them taking advantage of such a platform providing it can do what they say it can. There information gathering is the weak link in this type of weapons in battle I think. Think about it they had to send a 30 year old bomber on a recon mission to collect targeting information (which got shot down) using almost 50 years old pilot to fly the thing. Doesn't it seem a little far fetch that it can select what part of the target to hit?

I'm confused what does a Bear have to do with this? Did they shoot down one of there own bombers?

I think it's more of a ground launched cruise missile more then anything.

Most Russian smart weapons aren't at western standards as far accuracy do we assume this weapon can hit what it's aimed at? Can we assume they can find targets? Look how Russia fought in Georgia and what weapons they used and how they controlled battle field. Judging how Russia fought I don't see them taking advantage of such a platform providing it can do what they say it can. There information gathering is the weak link in this type of weapons in battle I think. Think about it they had to send a 30 year old bomber on a recon mission to collect targeting information (which got shot down) using almost 50 years old pilot to fly the thing. Doesn't it seem a little far fetch that it can select what part of the target to hit?

The Russians don't have the PR talent of the Americans, but many of their guided weapons work very well, were not monkey grade and some of their missiles were simply ahead of Western technology. Examples; R-73 (AA-11), Krizanthema with dual seeker (AT-14?) It's quite dangerous to underestimate possible opponents. We did never fight the real thing, only monkey models used by usually ill-trained troops. Still, some Russian hardware caused headaches in the Cold War proxy wars. Iskander uses apparently an electro-optical sensor with target recognition based on a previously fed aerial or satellite image. It's reasonable to expect that such a weapon meets the same accuracy claims. The Russians used almost exclusively old equipment (much from the 70's) in Georgia, but that doesn't tell anything about their 90's hardware. It's well-known that they hadn't the funds to pay for procurement, only for some R&D in the past two decades. Btw, I think it was no bear, but a Tu-22M or Tu-26 that got shot down.

Hello Sven Ortmann

The AA-11 has been surpassed by western type for ten years now. The Russian fielded the HMS first teamed with the AA-11 and was very deadly combo for it's time.

Those money problem you mention carry over into R&D for different weapons programs as well. Russia has a PR section to and some of their weapons and systems don't perform or live up to what Russia's own PR machine says it does. Why should I believe this system or platform is different?

You would be very surprise at just how few weapons were bought by the Russian Armed Forces themselves in the 90s and not made for export. I'm not saying Russia doesn't have people smart enough to create such weapons and know how to build the factories to produce them. It's just the government failure to maintain steady funding to such programs is why Russia has falling back in certain areas.

I agree with your assessment that monkey or downgrade models were sold and used by ill trained personnel in many cases. Some of the blame for poor showing equipment wise does in "some cases" fall on the Russian doctrine on training. I think you can see this as far back as the Middle East wars 67, 73, Gulf War I, most fought the way they were trained.

In Georgia why wasn't Russia using satellite or aerial images to setup battle field tactical missiles (some were used) and air force assets using standoff smart weapons to take out key targets like CC, radar, SAM sites, Naval patrol Boats in the docks, strong enemy build up positions, the upgraded Su-24, a few have been upgraded to fire, launch, carry these weapons. Russia military PR release this information but yet very little advance weapons nor tactical planning was seen?

You can Google the Russian weapons including the upgraded Su-24 and a whole bunch of Russian made smart bombs, stand-off air to ground missiles and much more but it wasn't used on a tactical level not even information gathering. This is why I don't believe that this Iskander can pick what part of a target to hit.

Its not the people or the industry base it's the government lack of long term fuinding and support, R&D cost billions.
icon12.gif

I used the AA-11 example because the Russians were ahead for many years (disastrously far ahead - NATO got shocked when the Eastern German AA-11 were investigated), realizing a technology that the U.S. gave up in the 70's (AIM-82 IIRC). There was no wide-spread discussion in the West at that time about it, we were clueless - and happy about the all-aspect AIM-9L (which weren't used for anything but tail shots in the Falklands War). Western systems get the hype, while the monkey model curse sticks to the Russians' reputation.
In Georgia why wasn't Russia using satellite or aerial images to setup battle field tactical missiles (some were used) and air force assets using standoff smart weapons to take out key targets like CC, radar, SAM sites, Naval patrol Boats in the docks, strong enemy build up positions, the upgraded Su-24, a few have been upgraded to fire, launch, carry these weapons. Russia military PR release this information but yet very little advance weapons nor tactical planning was seen?

You can Google the Russian weapons including the upgraded Su-24 and a whole bunch of Russian made smart bombs, stand-off air to ground missiles and much more but it wasn't used on a tactical level not even information gathering. This is why I don't believe that this Iskander can pick what part of a target to hit.
Well, they used some T-62's as well, what does this tell us about T-90's? Nothing. Furthermore, there's AFAIK almost no information about what munitions the Russians used and to what effect. By the way; please recall the size of bridges. A width of no less than 10m is not uncommon and bridges are easily spotted targets (even a WW2 radar-guided fire & forget glide bomb was able to lock on bridges). Finally, I'd like to remind you that German guided bombs of 1943 were able to repeatedly hit tiny hut-sized targets in training - and almost three decades ago U.S. cruise missiles were able to match that performance. It's almost insulting in my opinion to deny the Russians such accuracy with a missile that's almost brand new.

Designs

The T-90 design is pretty old itself and Russia doesn't field many T-90 regiments themselves? A Russian poster in a different forum I'm in said Russia is on it's third new "mechanized Battalion" bought in almost ten years. Were talking Battalion not Brigade or even Division, so no I don't share much faith that Russia builds and produces a lot of these systems.

What Germany could do years ago has little to do with Russia military factories produced in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Look at the Russian FCS on their tanks and where they are just about now, western counterparts been doing that for ten plus years already.

Russian smart weapons are interesting and I see the short films, and read the weapons releases and all I'm no expert by any means and don't claim to be, but. How many of the new smart weapons we see and read about actually produced are fielded in active Russian units world wide? How many units really see and test and trained with these weapons? Most are made for export markets which is where Russia's military arms industry is geared for. Russia themselves don't buy a lot of new weapons sadly.

What's right behind those advance T-72s Russia's front line troops are using are what next in reserve ex-T-55's? A good part of Russia's artillery is very dated as well.
Learning from real soldiers here in this forum and others you can only learn and train on basically what you have. If a Russian Infantry units has D-130 cannons and BMP-2 and few T-72s to fill out a Battalion then that's what they have to trained with,if ammo and fuel is available.
In most cases a little depending on terrain a modern mechanized forces would rip through a unit made up of such weapons and low level trained personnel. There are other factors as well like air power, artillery, and more but basically the better trained and equipped forces wins. I watch how US Army tankers train and can't see Russian tanker getting the chance to train like that. That breaks down on why some of Russia's export customer do so poorly, Russians can only train their buyers how they were trained? I learned a lot from guys here training is the key.

I don't mean to sound insulting but today's Russian solider is ill trained and equipped compared to most western soldiers.

I'm sure a list can be made of western equipment to be fair.
*Try to find how the AA-12 was upgraded and the different models produce, if you can
*Look at Russia Su-35 a upgraded on a 70s design aircraft, just another heavy large aircraft the biggest target in the fighter world. Do you think Russia has a 5th generation aircraft in works while there still producing 70 designed fighters? I don't think so.
*T-95 in it's early form already a dated design and most likely never get funding
*Over 400+ Su-27 more then half of Russia's best fighters can't even fired their best AA-12?
* Is the AA-12 even produced in useful numbers?
*The Su-27 upgrade program going on for years already and less then 1 regiment of Su-27M1 produced.
* S-400 in testing? Again can it happen, can if detect targets like they say it can? are the claims real? will it ever make production on a large scale or only if an export buyer is found?
* Mig-35 not even produced yet even after India taking 9 nine years to make a fighter selection? They could have won this fighter selection five times over already.
* 4 subs built in over a ten year period
* 3 new Mechanized Battalions (equipment) bought in ten years
* Bases still closed
* Only two of those Mig-31BM or what ever the super model was suppose to be produced. 3 or 4 regiments of old 3rd generation fighters guarding China's border
* India's aircraft carrier late
* India's Mig-29K built out of old stocks 18 aircraft taking almost five years, late
* Not producing enough engine parts for one of their best selling transport helicopter the Hip-17 series and lost sales.
* Fire control problems in India's new T-90s
* Algeria return SMT Fulcrums?
* Most of Russia's navy is armed and equipped with 70s/80s tech. They have a big navy with high number of ships but most are not upgraded nor is there trained personnel to manned them.

Sorry but having somebody trained on equipment that works and is modern enough to see a target 60 miles away and then choosing what part of the target hit for most Russia units would surprise me.

The training isn't there and most cases neither is the equipment

Last edited:
The T-90 design is pretty old itself and Russia doesn't field many T-90 regiments themselves? A Russian poster in a different forum I'm in said Russia is on it's third new "mechanized Battalion" bought in almost ten years. Were talking Battalion not Brigade or even Division, so no I don't share much faith that Russia builds and produces a lot of these systems.
They bought only kind of pre-serial batches T-90's, I was talking about quality, not quantity.

What Germany could do years ago has little to do with Russia military factories produced in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Actually, it does. It shows state of art. Technologies disperse over educated countries - there's no reason to believe that the Russians couldn't match Maverick's early 70's accuracy with essentially similar Iskander terminal phase seeker. They probably even had the blueprints since decades.

Look at the Russian FCS on their tanks and where they are just about now, western counterparts been doing that for ten plus years already.

The Russians slept over thermal and low light sensors, no doubt. They catched up a bit. Today you could even use commercial equipment and harden it and still exceed mid-90's MilSpec performance.
Night sight technology was actually one of the few technology fields where the Russians neither kept up nor pursued a different path but lagged badly.
There's much Cold War propaganda still in the air about Russian technology - and the Russians tend to not show their new stuff, but only 10 y.o. stuff. They never showed off Arena-2 AFAIK. The latest Russian APS that I know about is 15 years old. Heck, they invented APS - they surely developed much newer stuff.
The information asymmetry exists even between the English/Hebrew speaking Western nations and non-English speaking NATO countries. I've yet to encounter any American who knows about the German AMAP ADS, but I've seen lots of articles about the U.S: and Israeli systems (which are apparently lagging one or two generations behind in capability).
Imagine the effects of the language barrier to Russia!

Russian smart weapons are interesting and I see the short films, and read the weapons releases and all I'm no expert by any means and don't claim to be, but.

I visited the Russian company's booth that promoted Iskander and other missiles at Eurosatory 2008. The widely distributed information is pretty much all that's publicly known about the missile. I have an original promotional CD, with few additional info.

How many of the new smart weapons we see and read about actually produced are fielded in active Russian units world wide? How many units really see and test and trained with these weapons? Most are made for export markets which is where Russia's military arms industry is geared for. Russia themselves don't buy a lot of new weapons sadly.

The Germans developed the 8,8cm Flak 18 in 1928 and used it to great effect till 1945, but didn't procure it in quantity till the mid-30's. A look at the technology tells about quality and potential, production (especially of a MUNITION like Iskander) can happen quickly if necessary.

What's right behind those advance T-72s Russia's front line troops are using are what next in reserve ex-T-55's? A good part of Russia's artillery is very dated as well.

T-62's. I recall no info about T-55's being used. The Russians have a habit of using two different inventories of tanks; training tanks and wartime tanks. It may be very well that they used old tanks for training a unit in basic tank warfare and sent that one to combat.

Learning from real soldiers here in this forum and others you can only learn and train on basically what you have. If a Russian Infantry units has D-130 cannons and BMP-2 and few T-72s to fill out a Battalion then that's what they have to trained with,if ammo and fuel is available.

Not necessarily.
D-130? Do you mean D-30? That's actually a great gun for its calibre. Much better overall concept than M777.

In most cases a little depending on terrain a modern mechanized forces would rip through a unit made up of such weapons and low level trained personnel. There are other factors as well like air power, artillery, and more but basically the better trained and equipped forces wins. I watch how US Army tankers train and can't see Russian tanker getting the chance to train like that.
Some tactics require less training than others.
U.S. training on many systems was apparently reduced to save fuel and spares as well (and to train for COIN instead of for major conventional war). The Russians aren't well-known for high quality training, but that can change rapidly in time of crisis or war.
Interestingly, Iskander needs almost not raining and especially no complex of CAP, SEAD, airfields, tankers and EW to hit a target. It works also fine during enemy air superiority. That's the true value of the missile - it's an allternative to demanding Kosovo-style strike packages.

That breaks down on why some of Russia's export customer do so poorly, Russians can only train their buyers how they were trained? I learned a lot from guys here training is the key.

Actually, Third world customers of Western weapons suck almost all the time as well. The Soiets/Russians just never were so openly aggressive in the Third World. That means that very rarely Western Third World armies had to face first class opponents.
The Iranians sucked with Western equipment, the Iraqis did, the Argentinians did (remember how mcuh their Western air defense weapons failed)...on the other hand the Serbs did a fine AD job over Kosovo with ancient Soviet hardware (kills ain't everything, especially not at such odds).

I don't mean to sound insulting but today's Russian solider is ill trained and equipped compared to most western soldiers.

There's a certain hype about Western troops involved. The Israelis found their reputation on 1973 (where they had in fact a mixed prowess), but have a vastly changed army since the late 70's, disappointed in the 1982 Lebanon invasion, were slowly ruined by Lebanese and Palestinian occupation and embarrassed themselves in the 2006 invasion.
The Western troops didn't have a fair fight since 1942, but still had many rather mixed results.

I'm sure a list can be made of western equipment to be fair.
*Try to find how the AA-12 was upgraded and the different models produce, if you can
We can discuss today's R-77 in ten years, that's how the Russians handle these things.

*Look at Russia Su-35 a upgraded on a 70s design aircraft, just another heavy large aircraft the biggest target in the fighter world. Do you think Russia has a 5th generation aircraft in works while there still producing 70 designed fighters? I don't think so.
PAK-FA. It makes sense to be few years late behind F-22 to build a better plane as this fighter generation will likely last for three decades at least.

*T-95 in it's early form already a dated design and most likely never get funding
T-95 is like F-19 - won't happen like rumored, but eventually there will be something. We cannot know whether ti will beoutdated from the beginning, as we know nothing about it. By the way; Russian MBTs were systematically underestimated by the Wett in the Cold War, and this habit still sticks. Their only real fault was poor mitigation of behind-armor effects.

*Over 400+ Su-27 more then half of Russia's best fighters can't even fired their best AA-12?

Such detailed knowledge is a) questionable (->maskirovka) and b) such problems could be fixed within weeks. Btw, a similar problem plagued hyped-up F-4's in the 60's.

* Is the AA-12 even produced in useful numbers?

Obviously, unknown. We cannot learn anything by asking without expectation of an answer.
Quantity tells nothing about quality anyway.

*The Su-27 upgrade program going on for years already and less then 1 regiment of Su-27M1 produced.

As I wrote earlier - they are saving money by developing, but not producing. That's a wiser budget decision than going broke on military spending like the USA does.

* S-400 in testing? Again can it happen, can if detect targets like they say it can? are the claims real? will it ever make production on a large scale or only if an export buyer is found?

S-400 is at the very least a system that has no Western rival and is well-suited to challenge an opponent's AEW/CAP/SEAD-based air superiority.

AD systems ias an area where the USA cannot really claim to have had always good systems. The USN is only now about to introduce an active radar seeker SAM (SM-6), a move that should have happened 20 years ago!

* Mig-35 not even produced yet even after India taking 9 nine years to make a fighter selection? They could have won this fighter selection five times over already.
The Indians have serious procurement bureaucracy problems, selling them anything is exceedingly difficult now.

Well, you get the picture. The state of the Russian Armed forces, the performance of exported (often monkey) hardware and even even their technology history give no decisive information about their modern systems' quality.
About Western arms/troops quality - well, it isn't all gold that shines.

Sorry but having somebody trained on equipment that works and is modern enough to see a target 60 miles away and then choosing what part of the target hit for most Russia units would surprise me.

The training isn't there and most cases neither is the equipment

Last edited:
(2nd part, the message got too long due to quoting.)

SAR/GMTI radars have ranges in excess of 200 miles and aren't exactly news. The first ones were used in the 60's, the modern generation originated in the late 80's and current models are tiny.
http://www.ga-asi.com/products/lynxSAR.php
I bet the Russians didn't sleep over this technology entirely. It's no technology that you need to show off, unlike a ifficult-to-hide new ship of aircraft.
But SAR/GMTI was about the sight range issue, which is not applicable to Iskander anyway.

---

There's no need to "see" a distant target for Iskander.

It works apparently like this;

a) Target and launcher coordinates get fed into the system, target image and hit location get fed into the system.

b) launch

c) An inertial navigation-based autopilot (possibly enhanced by Glonass signals) guides it to the target area and suffices for a CEP of just a couple dozen meters (even ancient INS systems of the 60's would only have an error of few hundred meters over 400 km distance.

d) target is close, an electro-optical sensor looks at the target area, uses image recognition software to recognize the target, aims at target point.
The missile is being guided for max accuracy on the final few km, but does some autopilot evasive maneuvers to counter ATBMs like PAC-3.

Technically it's very different from the Western strike package system and not very unlike Western cruise missiles (like the U.S. JASSM, which btw failed its fourth test in a row recently).
We are unused to precision TBMs because we don't use the tech (we expect air superiority and to succeed with strike packages instead), that doesn't mean that it wouldn't work fine.

Iskander's guidance is really not very difficult. I could arrange a proof of principle for the system with a commercial video camera, a laptop, some COTS image recognition software, two months time and 8,000 € for a programmer.

---

In general it's no good idea to trust those who make the loudest claims more than those who are almost silence, or to keep potential opponent's proficiency at low regard.
The Russians excel quite often, but the circumstances usually don't contribute to a corresponding reputation.
Their public relations work is still stuck in a very distinct, alien style. I recall bulletproof vest advertising with models that looked like straight from the 50's. The Russians improve in this regard, but they simply aren't interested to tell the Western public about their qualities. We're no customers.

And guess what? The Russians in the Russian forums think that M1 Abrams are crap !!!

Info

Thanks for the info and for taking the time to explain the Russian side of things to me. This is interesting I'm sorry for such a long post I'll cut and paste a few and we can disgust more of them.
The Indians have serious procurement bureaucracy problems, selling them anything is exceedingly difficult now.

A Russian poster in a different forum went off on how there's no pleasing them on anything.

We seem to have different opinions on certain things and I think we both suffer a little 'Cold War" times drilled into our heads/thinking.
icon12.gif

They bought only kind of pre-serial batches T-90's, I was talking about quality, not quantity.

Hi Sven Ortmann
Questions - Why would Russia only buy them pre-serial batches doesn't Russia's army have a lot of tank regiments that need replacements? The T-72 series doesn't match up well against newer western types in armor and crew protection and FCS? Does Russia see China as a threat are Russia's forces on China's border better equipped?

The Russians slept over thermal and low light sensors, no doubt. They catched up a bit. Today you could even use commercial equipment and harden it and still exceed mid-90's MilSpec performance.
It's 2008 not the mid 90s and Russia's FCS is behind. Maybe were see upgrades on later model T90s or if the T-95 gets produced. I did hear good things about the FCS on the BMP-3 30mm gun/system

they surely developed much newer stuff.
To develop new equipment, systems, takes money R&D costs cost billions for any country. I don't have blinded faith that Russia's R&D does produce new and advance weapons, systems, etc. This is a subject that's hard to prove either way
The information asymmetry exists even between the English/Hebrew speaking Western nations and non-English speaking NATO countries.
I only know of one Hebrew speaking nation but I get what your saying.
German AMAP ADS
What is it please explain it

I visited the Russian company's booth that promoted Iskander and other missiles at Eurosatory 2008. The widely distributed information is pretty much all that's publicly known about the missile. I have an original promotional CD, with few additional info.
That's pretty cool I assume it's not in English? I got some promotional stuff from the Rafale booth and more from a Greece air show, sent by a friend.

More later
icon7.gif
icon14.gif
icon12.gif

It's 2008 not the mid 90s and Russia's FCS is behind. Maybe were see upgrades on later model T90s or if the T-95 gets produced. I did hear good things about the FCS on the BMP-3 30mm gun/system

Again, we don't know much about their current FCS technology, we barely know about what they have in their inventory (basically 80's hardware).

To develop new equipment, systems, takes money R&D costs cost billions for any country. I don't have blinded faith that Russia's R&D does produce new and advance weapons, systems, etc. This is a subject that's hard to prove either way

Actually, there are huge differences in development costs. Different salaries, different design approaches, different organization...you can easily design two very similar systems in two different countries for costs that differ by factor 10. Look at the Swedes; such a small nation, but they pulled off the Visby corvette, the JAS Gripen, the Erieye radar ...

What is it please explain it
http://www.soldat-und-technik.de/10-08/heer.pdf
It's apparently a radar-less APS that seems to work by directing blast at the incoming threat. It's apparently effective even against APFSDS and EFP (the high-speedslug, not just the warhead). The reaction time is being reported as less than a millisecond - you could launch an RPG at 2m distance and it would be intercepted. The table in the PDF is the most comprehensive I've ever seen (although I've seen conflicting info on some production dates and a technical parameter) and shows the differences between some of the main new APS.

That's pretty cool I assume it's not in English? I got some promotional stuff from the Rafale booth and more from a Greece air show, sent by a friend.

Actually the CD is in English and Russian, I think. I looked at it in the Russian mode. The additional info is mostly about the trucks and training aids.
The CD has some videos.

I believe it's OK not to be impressed by much of the Russian military hardware and to doubt claims.

I believe as well that Western systems are often hyped while some of the Russian systems (especially when they pursue a different approach than we do) are simply world-leading.

examples;
- FAE/thermobaric (Russians were 15 years ahead) incl. RPO-A
- APS (Russians were almost 20 years ahead)
- ERA (Russians were about 10 years ahead of all else except the Israelis)
- HERA (heavy ERA, Russians were apparently ahead of the West by about 10-15 years)
- R-77 (Russians were ahead by almost 20 years)
- Khrizanthema (interesting dual seeker, still unusual in the West)
- Iskander (no Western counterpart except probably late ATACMS)
- S-300/S-400 (outstanding range)
- KS-172 (no counterpart anywhere)
- Kh-31 (Western counterpart French ANS wasn't realized)
- the Sadarm equivalent that entered service in large calibre MRL rockets around 1990
- Shtora (simple SACLOS jamming tech, pretty mcuh neglected by the West)

Btw,
" We seem to have different opinions on certain things and I think we both suffer a little 'Cold War" times drilled into our heads/thinking.
icon12.gif
"

I am Western German and always was.
The reason for why I doubt so many Western highlights is my military history reading and my skeptic mind.

Last edited:
You don't seem to question Russian sources at all though.
E/O guidance isn't even that great. You've totally ignored that. The truth of the fact is, although claims for Russian hardware has always been high, in war they have done poorly. And these aren't just against Americans but against other countries armed with American hardware.

You don't seem to question Russian sources at all though.
E/O guidance isn't even that great. You've totally ignored that. The truth of the fact is, although claims for Russian hardware has always been high, in war they have done poorly. And these aren't just against Americans but against other countries armed with American hardware.

E/O is great in the right weather and daylight conditions. Iskander is for the destruction of immobile targets - there's usually no need to attack at night or during poor weather. A radar seeker as in Pershing II could be jammed.

The Russians haven't fought much since WW2 - Afghanistan was hardly a material war. They defeated the Germans in their last major war (yes, 60% of the work was done by Russia) - they proved to be different, but first class in their own way. (There are still some wrong perceptions about the role of superior Russian quantity in WW2 floating around because German figures about Red Army material strength were exaggerated by about a factor of almost two.)

I recall that subsonic MiG-17's without missiles were a huge problem for supersonic F-4's, the early 60's supposed wonder weapon, equivalent of today's F-22.

Soviet/Russian hardware was never used in war by a first rate power (judged by non-material criteria) after 1945.
Western hardware failed badly or proved itself in wars after 1945 when used by 3rd, 2nd and 1st class powers.
There was simply no fair and really conclusive test (yet).

Info

The Russians haven't fought much since WW2
No not directly but a few proxy wars wouldn't you say most with adviser working hand and hand using lots of their equipment.

Afghanistan was hardly a material war
Compared to WW-II no but Russia doesn't have the capabilities to even come close to what the US forces have done there.

They defeated the Germans in their last major war (yes, 60% of the work was done by Russia) - they proved to be different, but first class in their own way. (There are still some wrong perceptions about the role of superior Russian quantity in WW2 floating around because German figures about Red Army material strength were exaggerated by about a factor of almost two.)
Not sure if I agreed with the 60% percent quote and always thought the Russians were playing to their own tune and never an allied. That's just my opinion and WW-II doesn't have a lot to do with modern Russia producing weapons and providing the proper training to use, never mind support them after the fact.

I recall that subsonic MiG-17's without missiles were a huge problem for supersonic F-4's, the early 60's supposed wonder weapon, equivalent of today's F-22.
The Mig-17, wow what a blast from the past saying it was a huge problem doesn't really describe the situation very well. The stupid rules of engagement and a certain President not letting his commanders fight played a huge part in the Mig-17, 19, and 21, success. Do you think if we were allowed to bomb the bases much early on and take out the shipping that it would have even lasted so long. I would have bomb those Russian and Chinese supply ships and every air field on the map, think the Mig-19s would have caused any problems then? Sure your not from East Germany?

equivalent of today's F-22.
Nothing is equivalent to F-22, I guess your one of those people from the Russia side of thinking since you don't have it, it must not be that good.

Soviet/Russian hardware was never used in war by a first rate power (judged by non-material criteria) after 1945
Again going back to 1945 you can look at in different ways if you like but Russian gear just hasent been as good.

Western hardware failed badly or proved itself in wars after 1945 when used by 3rd, 2nd and 1st class powers.
It was good enough to beat Russian made hardware most of the time even by 2nd rate governments. For a West German you seem very anti-western you remind me of a poster in a different forum.

There was simply no fair and really conclusive test (yet).
Yet it's like your almost hoping interesting.

Back