Russian Bomber Violates Japan Airspace

rock45

Russian Bomber Violates Japan Airspace

By MARI YAMAGUCHI – 1 day ago
TOKYO (AP) — A Russian air force bomber briefly violated Japanese airspace Saturday over an uninhabited island south of Tokyo, prompting Japan to scramble 22 fighter jets and issue a protest with Moscow, the Foreign Ministry said. The Russian air force denied the intrusion.
The Russian Tupolev 95 left Japanese airspace after three minutes following warnings by Japanese air force jets over Sofugan in the Izu island chain, 400 miles south of Tokyo, said Foreign Ministry official Kotaro Otsuki.
The ministry immediately lodged a protest with the Russian Embassy in Tokyo and demanded an explanation, Otsuki said. A switchboard operator at the embassy said no one there was immediately available for comment.
ITAR-Tass news agency quoted the head of the Russian Air Force information service, Alexander Drobyshevsky, as denying the intrusion, saying the flyby was part of a mission over neutral waters.
Japan's Defense Ministry scrambled 22 fighter jets, including F-15s, and two airborne warning and control aircraft known as AWACs, a ministry official said on condition of anonymity, citing protocol. He said the Russian bomber had come from the north and headed back northbound after Japan's warning.

Full story
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gtlLHScuH0LKUAvS-6XhRSJWSBPwD8UMN86G0

news

Is it normal for the Japanese air force scrambled 22 fighter jets, including F-15s, and two airborne warning and control aircraft? All of this for a Russian Bear? There not at war wouldn't a pair of old F-4 achieve the same task of driving them out of there air space and saving Japan's tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars in aviation fuel? :type:

Is it normal for the Japanese air force scrambled 22 fighter jets, including F-15s, and two airborne warning and control aircraft? All of this for a Russian Bear? There not at war wouldn't a pair of old F-4 achieve the same task of driving them out of there air space and saving Japan's tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars in aviation fuel? :type:

It shows that Japan's Defense Forces are not asleep at the switch and that the Russian Air Force had better keep closer tabs on its Aircraft and make sure they stay out of Japanese Airspace.

Japan

I just question the reason for sending so many aircraft for some Russian Bear's (don't know how many). I assume higher ups thought it would be good training and went with it but I maybe wrong. I also think some of these Bear missions are recon missions really. Maybe Japan was testing something worth getting a better look at. Maybe it's the cold war up bring in me.:visor:

Russian Bombers has violated Norweign Airspace, and this time, Japanese airspace. What's next, Alaskan Airspace?

they are always having spats back and forth there, russia, korea and japan that is. Anyone else remember when north korea fired that rocket over tokyo a year or two ago?
Nothing will come of it, hell after wwII we put a cap on the size of japans military strength anyway. So Its guranteed nothing will come of it.

Caps

doc
Nothing will come of it, hell after wwII we put a cap on the size of japans military strength anyway. So Its guranteed nothing will come of it.

For a government that has caps on there military they have some defense force most countries would kill to have half of what Japan has.

For a government that has caps on there military they have some defense force most countries would kill to have half of what Japan has.

Alot of Japans defense force is american though, we have most of the 3rd marine divison there and hawaii, countless navy bases and 3 or 4 airfields and a few army bases. Not even counting the ready reserve in guam. For us "america" Japan was armed as a line of defense against a North Korean invasion before they made it to the west coast "Not much of a line against their numbers.. more like a bump in the road".
However I do understand what your saying, Japan does have a small established military but it isnt that big. I dont believe. However I could be wrong on that.

JSDF (Japanese Self Defense Force) is among the most modern and advanced defense forces in the world and especially so in the region.
It's just how it is.

You may have a point-buzzed Nimitz twice

Navy Intercepts Russian Bombers

US Navy Intercepts Russian Bombers Flying Near Ships

U.S. fighter planes intercepted two Russian bombers, including one that buzzed an American aircraft carrier in the western Pacific during the weekend, The Associated Press has learned.

A U.S. military official says that one Russian Tupolev 95 flew directly over the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz twice, at a low altitude of about 2,000 feet, while another bomber circled about 58 miles out.

Full story
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=4274279

Questions
1. I didn't think we allowed anybody directly over?
2. Did we do the same thing to there carrier in the Med?

1. Remember the **** storm the Chinese got themselves into when they damn near killed 11 of our airmen and forced our plane to land in China?

2. Why bother dignifying their carrier by acknowledging its existence? Do they even have aircraft for their carrier yet?

Back