Russian Body armor.

now this is a subject not often talked about; i am interested.

is the average Russian soldier issued with body armor?

At least those troops that spearheads the attack are using body armor.

...And yes, average russian soldier uses body armor, it is called BMP! ;D

Last edited:
Well I would guess that the Professional Soldiers get Body Armor, but I am not sure if they have to buy it or if it is issued to them.

I doubt conscripts can get armor, though.

I also did a quick search on Google and found this site, and it has A LOT of info on Russian armor, not just bullet proof vests but helmets and camoflage as well!

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/bulletproof_vests.htm

When the War in Georgia was on I did see a fair amount of soldiers there with bulletproof vests, but I couldnt tell if they were Russians or South Ossetians/Abkhazians...well body armor or no looks like they didnt need it too much

Hello.

Yes, Russian army uses bulletproof vests. As far as i remember types Ж-85 and Ж-86 are the most widespread. They appeared in late 80's and have been modernized. Also, modernized version of 6Б2 (which is quite old) is quite popular. This is what you can find in any military base storehouse. Professional soldiers are also given these types, but most often they prefer to buy other types for their own money. I personally know a guy who somehow managed to find US-made Modular Tactical Vest, but it was of sand colour, so he had to paint it into green. :mrgreen:

Stealthy!
In Ossetia and Abkhazia you most probably saw other types, like Voin, Vityaz' or Vyzov - there were not so many conscripts in Georgian campaign, and almost no one of them took part in battles.

Back