Russian Aircraft Carriers vs. US Aircraft Carriers.

Best Aircraft Carriers

• Total voters
EagleStrike said:
Yeah i think i agree with russian subs being better but look what happened to that sub the Kursk

Yeah, but that was only due to lack of maintenance/funding. That's why Russia needs money from the rest of the world to make sure nothing like that happens again.

the_13th_redneck said:
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kuznetsov/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_aircraft_carrier_Kuznetsov

Link to some info on the Kusnetsov. It is Russia's premier aircraft carrier.
The 2nd bit, the Wikipedia site is pretty good.

That ski jump is the main problem. It drastically reduces the payload of the aircraft that takes off with it. On top of that, Russian fighter/strike class aircraft in general have always had problems with hauling ordinance in good quantity.

"The ship has the capacity to support 16 Yakovlev Yak-41M (NATO code name Freestyle), twelve Sukhoi Su-27K (NATO codename Flanker) fixed-wing aircraft and a range of helicopters including four Kamov Ka-27-LD (NATO codename Helix), 18 Kamov Ka-27 PLO, and two Ka-27-S."
As you can see the aircraft carrying capacity of this carrier is puny compared to the American counterpart. According to this, it will be carrying about ... lets say 30 combat aircraft at most. The American one can carry more than 3 times that amount.

Kusnetsov can go 29 knots. Nimitz class can surpass 30 knots. Close, but it shows you that the Kusnetsov doesn't even have a speed advantage over the US carriers and in fact, is marginally slower.

By the way, the YAK-41 was abandoned and isn't going to be in production.

As with almost everything Russian nowadays concerning the military, it looks far better on paper where you don't see the rust and the broken parts that need to be replaced... that haven't been done so in 2 years.

so they basically don't have an aircraft carrier in operation

it said there was an unsuccessful attempt to sell it to india.
The government of Ukraine decided in June 1994 to scrap the vessel, after unsuccessful attempts to sell it of Russia, China or India.

well i have a feeling it might have more to do with the funding needed to keep the carrier afloat then it being a poorly designed ship. i'm not completely familiar with the Royal Navy, but wouldn't it compare somewhat to the Invincible Class carriers?

look! One more person has voted for the Kusnetsov.
After everything I posted, I think it's fair to say it's ridiculous.
Stone vs Bow and Arrow... so if it's a Russian stone it'll beat the American bow and arrow right?

well maybe some people care more about who's throwing the stone or shooting the arrow? i think they're doing it because it's so obviously one sided that they want to balance things out. if there was a basis for their vote i'm sure there would have been an explanation.

There is very hard to tell what Russia has right now. Russia is extremely good at keeping secrets. That's what gives them an edge.

Too much media in the U.S. a lot of secrets are found out and enemy nations will use this to their advantage.

I have a hard time beliving that when they have trouble maintaining a Kuznetsov, they can make a bigger and better carrier, maintain it, then not see that having it public would actually help more than hurt because it would help with some major nation wide morale problems.

Balancing out is a poor defense too. When something's CERTAINLY better, you should vote that. It's like saying who's better, Bayern Munchen or your local pub team that you play for? I mean... come on.

The Russians are poor no denying it, they cannot afford to keep 40 year old equipment going much less desiging something that they where never on par with the US in the first place with.

The Russians need to focus on trying to keep what they have not replacing it.

i don't know if designing a new piece of military hardware would boost morale for a country's citizens. i realize this is coming from an american's point of view, and it could be different in russia. but when the US finished developing the F22 the country wasn't exactly over joyed. i'm sure that more than half of the country didn't know what it was, i bet they still don't. i would think the mainstay of russian morale would be their space program.

sometimes it's cheeper to replace something than keep it going though. which might be what the russians are facing. if you look at it in the long run replacing an aging russian fleet could be the answer.

I think in America we are used for on military and space program doing the amazing that we just realy don't pay attention anymore. I guess it may be a Moral boost in Russia though.

Yeah the problem is is if they do design one ( 5-10 years and hundreds of billions) Build it (4 -6 years few billion) and maintain it ( few billion in it's lifetime) thats alot of money for that small of an economy.

The construction, training, operations, and maintainence of such a carrier and her crew would bankrupt Russia. There's simply no one in the world save the US with the resources required for that kind of project.

The Italian,French, and british are designing newer carriers I believe.

However the Italian one will use JSF,The French one was done in the 80's I think and I havn't heard any news of the British one latley.

However the Russians wouldn't be able to afford a carrier project right now.

Back