Russian Aircraft Carriers vs. US Aircraft Carriers. - Page 3

View Poll Results :Best Aircraft Carriers
Russian 7 19.44%
American 29 80.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

--

December 6th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Well it's not like the Americans don't have a million different ways to sink that Kusnetsov either.
December 6th, 2004  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Well it's not like the Americans don't have a million different ways to sink that Kusnetsov either.
I know, was just trying to be helpful.
December 6th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOk
They sort of calculated that from around 40-60 missiles fired enough would penetrate the defenses, hit the carrier and sink it.
that is a lot of missiles. wasn't it Sum of All Fears where they were able to hit a carrier with a single anti-ship missile? i was wondering how realistic that could have been.
--
December 7th, 2004  
Darcia

Yeah it was, damaged the ship pretty bad too.
December 7th, 2004  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rOk
They sort of calculated that from around 40-60 missiles fired enough would penetrate the defenses, hit the carrier and sink it.
that is a lot of missiles. wasn't it Sum of All Fears where they were able to hit a carrier with a single anti-ship missile? i was wondering how realistic that could have been.
I watched Sum of all fears some time ago and IIRC there was a squadron of Tu-22's each firing at least one missile.
IIRC again I think there were multiple hits, but I could be wrong, as said it was quite some time ago.
December 7th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The movie?
No it was many missiles fired. One got through the defensive shield and put the carrier out of comission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rOk
December 7th, 2004  
egoz

right, now i remember. it's been a while since i saw it. all i remember was the carrier getting hit by a single missile.
December 7th, 2004  
c/Commander

True but remember that they didn't have any real-life scenarios to base their damage modeling on. No carriers have ever been hit by missiles...
December 7th, 2004  
Aguy201

I think american with better payloads better aircraft, ya we top.
December 7th, 2004  
EagleZtrike

I think American because they are so much more technologically advanced. BTW you never hear about the Russian much anymore.