Russian Aircraft Carriers vs. US Aircraft Carriers.

Best Aircraft Carriers

• Total voters
the_13th_redneck said:
Well it's not like the Americans don't have a million different ways to sink that Kusnetsov either.

I know, was just trying to be helpful.

rOk said:
They sort of calculated that from around 40-60 missiles fired enough would penetrate the defenses, hit the carrier and sink it.
that is a lot of missiles. wasn't it Sum of All Fears where they were able to hit a carrier with a single anti-ship missile? i was wondering how realistic that could have been.

egoz said:
rOk said:
They sort of calculated that from around 40-60 missiles fired enough would penetrate the defenses, hit the carrier and sink it.
that is a lot of missiles. wasn't it Sum of All Fears where they were able to hit a carrier with a single anti-ship missile? i was wondering how realistic that could have been.

I watched Sum of all fears some time ago and IIRC there was a squadron of Tu-22's each firing at least one missile.
IIRC again I think there were multiple hits, but I could be wrong, as said it was quite some time ago.

The movie?
No it was many missiles fired. One got through the defensive shield and put the carrier out of comission.

egoz said:
rOk said:

right, now i remember. it's been a while since i saw it. all i remember was the carrier getting hit by a single missile.

True but remember that they didn't have any real-life scenarios to base their damage modeling on. No carriers have ever been hit by missiles...

I think American because they are so much more technologically advanced. BTW you never hear about the Russian much anymore.

Bear in mind, the Russians anti-ship missile strategies for taking out US carriers don't exactly work for establishing the superiority of the Russian Carrier designs.

Very true. Apologies for getting off topic...are there any areas where Russian carriers are superior to US designs?

There's a few forum members from there -- maybe they can offer some hard data?? 13th_redneck seems to know quite a bit too, so maybe he can get some links for us.

I have saw Russian aircraft carriers in port...The only "Russian Aircraft Carrier" was some old pictures of an Indian Aircarrier wich Russia sold to them....

i realize this isn't the "who has the better sub fleet thread" but i was talking about the current sub fleet when i made that statement. in that matter russia doesn't have anything that compares to the Virginia Class or Seawolf Class.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kuznetsov/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_aircraft_carrier_Kuznetsov

Link to some info on the Kusnetsov. It is Russia's premier aircraft carrier.
The 2nd bit, the Wikipedia site is pretty good.

That ski jump is the main problem. It drastically reduces the payload of the aircraft that takes off with it. On top of that, Russian fighter/strike class aircraft in general have always had problems with hauling ordinance in good quantity.

"The ship has the capacity to support 16 Yakovlev Yak-41M (NATO code name Freestyle), twelve Sukhoi Su-27K (NATO codename Flanker) fixed-wing aircraft and a range of helicopters including four Kamov Ka-27-LD (NATO codename Helix), 18 Kamov Ka-27 PLO, and two Ka-27-S."
As you can see the aircraft carrying capacity of this carrier is puny compared to the American counterpart. According to this, it will be carrying about ... lets say 30 combat aircraft at most. The American one can carry more than 3 times that amount.

Kusnetsov can go 29 knots. Nimitz class can surpass 30 knots. Close, but it shows you that the Kusnetsov doesn't even have a speed advantage over the US carriers and in fact, is marginally slower.

By the way, the YAK-41 was abandoned and isn't going to be in production.

As with almost everything Russian nowadays concerning the military, it looks far better on paper where you don't see the rust and the broken parts that need to be replaced... that haven't been done so in 2 years.

Back