Russian Air Force modernazation program

Even the Russians freely admit that their avionics upgrades and advances in technology are too little too late. I'm not just being the typical patriotic American when I say that the F-22 will own the skies for quite awhile.

1) its signals intelligence and avionics are unprecedented, it will discover bogies 30 miles before their opponent discovers them. Yes, 30 miles.

2) the thrust vectoring is another incredible development as it will allow the raptor to turn very sharply and approach bogies at an extremely high angle of attack, this is critical, it will literally outperform anything.

3)detection by the enemy will be nearly impossible with the following sensors to eliminate detection by; radar sig., visual, infrared, acoustic, radio frequency.

4) internally carried armament, the new AMRAAM with a significant increase in range, the new JDAM for close air support.

BTW, you can't just slap a thrust vectoring system on a fulcrum and then proclaim the birth of the Russian Raptor.

Even the Russians freely admit that their avionics upgrades and advances in technology are too little too late. I'm not just being the typical patriotic American when I say that the F-22 will own the skies for quite awhile.

1) its signals intelligence and avionics are unprecedented, it will discover bogies 30 miles before their opponent discovers them. Yes, 30 miles.

2) the thrust vectoring is another incredible development as it will allow the raptor to turn very sharply and approach bogies at an extremely high angle of attack, this is critical, it will literally outperform anything.

3)detection by the enemy will be nearly impossible with the following sensors to eliminate detection by; radar sig., visual, infrared, acoustic, radio frequency.

4) internally carried armament, the new AMRAAM with a significant increase in range, the new JDAM for close air support.

BTW, you can't just slap a thrust vectoring system on a fulcrum and then proclaim the birth of the Russian Raptor.

in thrust vectoring technology the us lags behind, the raptor has only 2d thrust vectoring (up and down) the russians have 3d thrust vectoring (all directions) which makes them all far manuverable than the raptor. plus the forward swept wings, a advanced aerodymanics feature, of the SU-47 makes super manuverable

Su-47

The Su-47 was a testing aircraft and never had a real radar or weapons system in basically a air show "look at me aircraft". Not even a true 5th generation test aircraft. Russia still producing late 80s style Flankers types like the Su-35 and Su-34, can't even make them much ligter still huge heavy beast.

To me the 80s is where the USAF,USN, and USMC aviation really started pulling ahead of Russia. AWACS, intelligence gathering, smart weapons, network fighting, jet engine production, advance pilot training, better maintenance, and much more funding.

Late model Flankers and just lately Typhoon's can carry out air to ground missions Block-40 Vipers been doing that for more then ten years plus already.

Other countries can't even touch the F-117 design never mind F-22A or Block-II F-35s tech. Typhoon's and Rafale's still aren't on the level of F/A-18 E/F Hornets as far: systems, cockpit, or weapons carried.

The Georgian AF still ran a few sorties on the 2nd and third day and they have less then 10 Su-25, Russia couldn't even control the air over a country a size of a small state on their border. A country where they knew fighting was going to start up and even moved more assets into the region beforehand.

in thrust vectoring technology the us lags behind, the raptor has only 2d thrust vectoring (up and down) the russians have 3d thrust vectoring (all directions) which makes them all far manuverable than the raptor. plus the forward swept wings, a advanced aerodymanics feature, of the SU-47 makes super manuverable

See, but US vectoring systems STAY attached to the airframe, kind of an important sidenote to add there big guy.

I don't know where you are getting your facts from; the Pravda perhaps, but it seems that you've got a little reading to do young man. Get back to me when you can argue truthful facts or at least cite a credible source for these inflated claims that you are making.

Su-37

Bacara
also the Su-37 has 3d engines and is a full production aircraft, although the its was produced in very low numbers.
Can you provide a source to the above statement its not correct.

Russia's next fighter if export orders are found will be Su-35
The sad fact is the Su-35 isn't in full production yet like most Russian projects it has no outsider buyer yet to fund the process. Like the Su-34 this aircraft the Su-35 might fall by the wayside if orders aren't found. If Russia's AF is lucky maybe another Su-27squadron will get upgraded to the Su-27M1 level which is like Block-42 1998 Viper standards.

Russia's Sukhoi to produce Su-35 fighter up to 2020 (How many are made now beside the not fully equipped prototype, zero as in none,)
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080714/113907248.html

* If you think about it according to the above link for the next 12 years Russia's going to produce a 4th generation fighters, that tells you where Russia aircraft production capabilities are currently.

India's government has to be crazy even thinking about giving giving Russia's government billions of dollars for some make-believe 5th generation fighter program.:stupid:

Russia's MIG takes 4 years to make 16 Mig-29K and 3 Mig-29KUBT trainers. And Mig's late they were delayed once already and push back to June 2008, its August and still no Migs. India still has MIG on their list for the 126 aircraft tender. :lol::stupid:
icon10.gif

Last edited:
That Su-37 doesn't seem that practical considering most engagements are going to be out of visual range, but it sure would be fun to take a ride in. It'd be awesome if one of those companies that flies you around in various Russian fighters acquired one somehow.

That Su-37 doesn't seem that practical considering most engagements are going to be out of visual range, but it sure would be fun to take a ride in. It'd be awesome if one of those companies that flies you around in various Russian fighters acquired one somehow.
fly mig, yea that would be awesome
:lol:

Russia aircraft

Bacara plasma stealth like Russian 5th generation projects aren't real. Still waiting on that Su-37 source? :cheers:

Youtube

Hi Topmaul
Thanks but I was looking for thrust vectoring jet engines. Really wasn't looking for anything just adding to this thread.

Bacara;

Thanks for the sources, I read them both, very interesting. Global security is a very credible source, I go there quite a bit for unbiased news from VOA.

I get the impression that the MIG-35 program is a farce, just to create the allusion that Russia is producing 5th generation aircraft when it really only has really good 4th generation aircraft. The upgraded MIG-29 with MIG-35 painted on the side, etc., this whole 5th generation fighter program of theirs has got all of the same BS propaganda warning signs that were so evident during the cold war.

I'm not buying any of it, you can't slap second rate thrust vectoring technology on an 80's flanker or fulcrum and call it a 5th generation fighter capable of sustaining a fight with an F-22.

Bacara;

Thanks for the sources, I read them both, very interesting. Global security is a very credible source, I go there quite a bit for unbiased news from VOA.

I get the impression that the MIG-35 program is a farce, just to create the allusion that Russia is producing 5th generation aircraft when it really only has really good 4th generation aircraft. The upgraded MIG-29 with MIG-35 painted on the side, etc., this whole 5th generation fighter program of theirs has got all of the same BS propaganda warning signs that were so evident during the cold war.

I'm not buying any of it, you can't slap second rate thrust vectoring technology on an 80's flanker or fulcrum and call it a 5th generation fighter capable of sustaining a fight with an F-22.

its was never mean't to be a 5th generation aircraft, its considered a generation 4.5 like the gripen, rafale and typoon, and is for export. It is not that the russians aren't capable of producing a aircraft able to compete with the raptor, they just don't the money, which kinda sad as i think the russians make very interesting designs. by the way i love the gripen, light, mauverable, easy to maintain, advanced avonics, and rough runway capablity.

Mig-35

[FONT=&quot]Hi Bacara
I come down a little heavy on the Russian types because the Russian aircraft industry throws out a lot of BS propaganda, for many years. In truth they have produced very little for themselves and their best fighter the Su-30 MKI Flankers has Israeli/French/BAE sub systems in it. So as you can see they don't really produce the entire aircraft from nose to tail. India wouldn't have requested these very important sub systems if Russia could produce them, at least at that time.

I happen to be a big Mig-29 fan and the aircraft has suffered from a bad rep from day one. Always outnumbered in combat, always up against AWACS supported fighters, sometimes the export scaled down models, and usually with poorly trained pilots. It also has a bad cockpit layout, smoky engines, poor pilot view, weak radar, and average to bad range. But it climbs faster than an F-15 and can turn very well and has a lot of thrust, all good things for a fighter.

The Mig-35 you may have found on Google or other forums is a Mig-29M something like a Mig-29 9.41 build. It’s a demonstrator for air shows and one or two models have thrust vectoring engines but sadly it’s not in production. Nor is the fancy equipment and systems on the inside including the ASEA radar, it’s just not real. It has taken MIG four years to make a small order for India (Mig-29K late and still not delivered) out of guttered Mig-29C frames, not even new builds. There is no Mig-35 production line built even built to even make this fighter, its vaporware.

The specs for the Mig-35 look great and badly needed for this classic fighter it’s just not real yet. MIG needs a large outside order to fund the program and India's taken nine years to make up their mind so MIG sadly is going downhill and losing the Algerian order put them in the red. The Fulcrum equipped with good radar and modern weapons system teamed with added fuel would have been a winner and even in its basic form still not a push over with a skilled pilot in the seat.

Let me know if there's anything about Fulcrums you want to know I follow them closely[/FONT]

MIGs are like those trendy kit cars that were so popular in the 80s. An absolutely awesome exotic car like body, but then when you lift the hood you see a VW Karman Gia engine, suddenly you feel the urge to un-friend yourself from the poser owner.

May I remind all that the Chinese rely heavily on Russian Tech.

The Chinese had requested to purchase 2 SU-33 3 months ago but were denied because they were illegaly reverse engineering the tech and selling the weapons to other countries without Russia's permission.

What I am trying to say is that China relies heavily on the tech they make.
Look at how they have for over 40 years. They constantly imitate all there designs and mass produce lower quality versions of there weapons....especially aircrafts.
When Russia doesn't make weapons as good as they used to China will begin to match the slipping rate and will slow down in terms of technology advancement.

Don't believe?

Where did China get there Kilos?
Russia

What did they produce after that?
Yuan-Class Submarines with AIP capabilities. Similar to the Kilo

Where did the J-11 get it's designs, avionics, engines???????
Russia, and the SU-27 (still Russian)

What I am saying is if Russia doesn't produce the good tech, China won't purchase and copy.

They will fall behind eventually at this rate especially if Russia doesn't catch up.

Back