Russia warship heads to Africa after pirate attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest that we all start playing nice with each other or I am going to have to start doing my own version of shock and awe:)

SERIOUSLY, lets all be mature about this.

Last edited:
@ Redneck

Well its illogical, immoral, and down right sadistic to massacre a whole nation for the actions of few. By law its called committing war crimes. The Russians don't have the right to do illogical and illegal actions like that for a simple ship that is captured by pirates, that the Somali people themselves have nothing to do with, and lets also remember its due to American-Ethiopian intervention that these warlords and pirates are back.

If the Russian act disproportionate and unnecessarily murder innocent Somalis they will have hell to pay from the 10-12 Million Somalis that live in Somalia and the 5-6 million Somalis in the diaspora of those 5-6 million some which do reside in Russia itself, Russia also has a huge native Muslim population of its own also and to top it of they already alienated the West they can't afford to alienate the Islamic world too. They have too much riding on this.

I doubt very much that the russians will invade somalia. What they will do however is either catch that ship and its cargo, or find those tanks after they are delivered and make sure thee recipients dont enjoy them for long. Its not a terribly hard thing to do, and the Russians should do it in my opinion, or they will give the pirates a good reason to hit arms shippments again.

Like I said, let's wait and see.

It is my opinion that if someone is stupid enough to kick the Russkies in the "plums" and think that they will just walk away from it, they are deluding themselves. Good old Vlad, is not known for his benevolence in such cases. In this case, I would say with good reason.

@ Sherman

Well im not advocating for the pirates but I do think that it is very stupid of them to have waited so long to unload the ship. The Russian frigate though still on its way they should have unloaded the tanks by now, and I think once they are unloaded no nation Russians, Americans or French would want to tangle on the ground with a very hostile population and get bogged down in a ground war.

I dont think the Russians can afford a large scale operation there. 33 old tanks dont justify it. They can however send ships to patrol those seas, and severely annoy those pirates from now on. And you know what, I would like to see that. I would like to see navies that can do such things do them. Pirates will not challange an international fleet of warships, because they will die.

I think once they are unloaded no nation Russians, Americans or French would want to tangle on the ground with a very hostile population and get bogged down in a ground war.

So the T-72 will go the way of all other tanks in somalia, used for a couple of months, maybe a year, run out of spare parts and good maintanance, and die. Also they dont need a groud war. All they need is to find them, get some aircraft there, and blow those tanks to hell. Somalia dose not have an air defence system.

Last edited:
I think UnitedSomalia is confused as to what I "want" and what I think can happen.
I don't advocate nuking Somalia at all. Using pirate ships for target practice however, seems like a grand idea.

"So the T-72 will go the way of all other tanks in somalia, used for a couple of months, maybe a year, run out of spare parts and good maintanance, and die. Also they dont need a groud war. All they need is to find them, get some aircraft there, and blow those tanks to hell. Somalia dose not have an air defence system."

Not really, the Somalis or I should say those that been in the former military are more than capable of maintaining and handling Russian equipment, and as far as spare parts are concerned, here is some food for thought: Africa is swarming with nations that operate Russian tanks and equipment, Somalia's closet ally in the Horn of Africa, Eritrea which the Islamic Courts leadership is based in have very close ties with Somalia and have so far been supplying the weapons the Islamic Courts have been using against the puppet regime and the Ethiopians. It won't be hard to get spare parts through allies that operate Russian equipment like the Eritreans and through the black market. Also Somalia has the longest coastline in Africa and is very large and long country, it will be very hard to track down those tanks unless you have people on the ground.

And 1 frigate can hardly become annoyance or a deterrent to the pirates looking at how huge Somalia's coastline is. The Russians have 1 aircraft carrier and I doubt also they can afford to permanently station it in Somalia's coast in order to put in the time need to track those tanks from the air.

you see, the problem is that selling these tanks to muslim militias will piss off Russia, the USA, and Ethiopia. It is rare that someone manages to do somthing both The US and Russia dont like, but they damn did make it happen.

Hmmm,.... it seems that our next great World Military Powerhouse is going to be Somalia.

Economy—overview: One of the world's poorest and least developed countries, Somalia has few resources. Moreover, much of the economy has been devastated by the civil war. Agriculture is the most important sector, with livestock accounting for about 40% of GDP and about 65% of export earnings. Nomads and semi-nomads, who are dependent upon livestock for their livelihood, make up a large portion of the population. After livestock, bananas are the principal export; sugar, sorghum, corn, and fish are products for the domestic market. The small industrial sector, based on the processing of agricultural products, accounts for 10% of GDP; most facilities have been shut down because of the civil strife. Moreover, as of early 1999, ongoing civil disturbances in Mogadishu and outlying areas are interfering with any substantial economic advance.
Source:
http://www.photius.com/wfb1999/somalia/somalia_economy.html

@ Seno

Portray Somalia as you like but what they do have is something very important:
Mineral resources

Uranium and largely unexploited reserves of iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, copper, salt. Likely oil reserves.

Somalia's seas are very rich in fish also. Somalia was destroy in the civil war that erupted in 1991 and everyone knows that so your sarcasms are not need. Somalia can be very prosperous African country if they can settle their differences, exploit their natural resources and use that money to rebuild the country. Somalia is not a military powerhouse as your sarcasm states; but what it is, is that it has a history of not taking to well to foreign transgression on its homeland, it has a proud military history in the 30 years preceding the outbreak of the civil war in 1991, Somali fighting men are known for their bravery and audacity like the Chechnyans.
SomaliFlag.jpg

"One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist."-Yasser Arafat

Somalia can be very prosperous African country if they can settle their differences, exploit their natural resources and use that money to rebuild the country.

My word and the last word, cause ive had enoough of this thread, any country can be a prosperous country if it settels its problems:)

Locked before civil war breaks on forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back