Russia warship heads to Africa after pirate attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well their are several major ports to unload the tanks like Mogadishu port which i a very large capable port, Kismanyo port, and Berbera port which was a huge former Soviet naval base, their are also many more minor ports. The tanks can easily be unloaded in any of those major ports. I personally think the 35 million they are asking for is very small amount compare to what those tanks and other weapons could fetch if they were sold to the Islamic Courts which is battling the Ethiopians. The Islamic Courts also have many former old Somali National Army personel in their ranks that are very familiar with Soviet equipment and can easily operate those tanks.

Last edited:
Well, the Russians will not like that very much. You shouldent hang around in someone elses tank when that someone else has more ATGMs than you can shake a stick at.

To use these ports would need Government collaboration, you are not insinuating that the Government are supporting the pirates are you?

If this is so Mogadishu might well get to smell some Russian cordite and tritonal.

The Ethiopian-American installed puppet regime in Ethiopia has no power outside of Mogadishu were they are guarded by the Ethiopians. Many ports in Somali are controlled by the Islamic Courts such as the major southern port of Kismanyo. The puppet regime also are corrupt themselves and filled with former warlords and pirates themselves, the president himself was a former warlord. They really don't need government authorization seeing that the government barely even control Mogadishu and the port is guarded by a skeleton force of Ugandan peacekeepers which have little control of the port seeing that they are shelled by the Islamic Courts everyday, but Kismanyo is a good port to unload which the Islamic Courts seized, and from their they can sell it to the Courts and recieve payment.

lots and lots and lots of it in fact.
Hmmm... this is going to be interesting. News less depressing than our usual.
Yes Redneck, it's always more fun watching a war where none of our forces are being killed. Quite entertaining in fact. also we will get another chance to see the Russkies strategy at work. Although I have no doubt it will amount to little more than "many tons of high explosives dropped indescriminately anywhere there is the slightest sign of Somalian resistance".

I think the Russkies would rather sink the ship with all onboard, than let the "pirates" have the cargo.

If I were a Somalian "pirate" I would be starting to have a very bad feeling about my future about now.

UnitedSomalia, I don't really think that the Russkies are very interested in who is running the various parts of the country, they will kill them, if they resist or show the slightest support for the pirates. This could also be construed to mean that if the Government in power do not do all they can to help, they are in the firing line too.

I'm not an expert on Russian strategy, but in the past it has always been very simple. Resist and you will die, or wish that you could.

Last edited:
@ Senojekips

The Somalis are very familiar with how the Russians work we dealt with them back in 1977 Somali-Ethiopian war. At that time the Somali army invaded the Ogaden region, destroyed the Ethiopian army and captured 90% of the Ogaden region. The Soviets established the largest airlift second only to the Soviet airlift to the Syrians in 1973 Arab-Israeli war. The Soviets also airlifted in 18,000 Cuban soldiers, 1,500 Soviet advisers, pilots and commanders, 2,000 South Yemenis Soldiers, and several thousand East German technicians and special forces. This force supplemented the existing Ethiopian army.

Somali Strengths at the Begining of the war:
Beginning of war:
35,000 soldiers
23 motorized and mechanized battalions
9 tank battalions
9 artillery battalions
4 airborne battalions[5]
End of war:
SNA 63,200[7]
WSLF 15,000

Ethiopian/Soviet/Cuban/South Yemenis strength at the Onset:
Beginning of war:
47,000 soldiers in total
On Somali front:
4 infantry brigades (1 mechanized)
2 tank battalions
2 artillery battalions
3 airborne battalions[5]
Later:
75,000 fulltime soldiers in 1980[6]
1,500 Soviet advisors
18,000 Cubans[4]
2,000 South Yemenis

The Somali losses:
6,453 killed[8]
2,409 wounded[8]
275 captured or missing[8]
Equipment losses:
28 Aircraft[8] (1/2 of Air force)
72 tanks[8]
30 APCs[8]
90 vehicles[8]

The Ethiopian/Soviet/Cuban/South Yemenis losses
Ethiopia:
6,133 killed[8]
10,563 wounded[8]
3,867 captured or missing (including 1,362 deserters)[8][9]
Cuba:
400 killed[9]
South Yemen:
100 killed[9]
USSR: 33 killed[10]
Equipment losses:
23 Aircraft[8]
139 tanks[8]
108 APCs[8]
1399 vehicles[8]

A 3rd world Somali air force of 50 Migs shot down 23 Soviet piloted Migs that were defending the Ethiopian skies while the Ethiopian got acclimated to the new Soviet hardware, the Ethiopian previously operated American hardware. The Soviets/Ethiopians/Cubans/South Yemenis lost more men, tanks, APCs, had more deserters and captured soldiers. This coalition performed horribly against Somali army by itself.

Now I stated these facts because many of the Islamic Courts and the other militias have former Somali National Army personnel and these will know how to deal with this lone Russian frigate if it shells Somalia and kills hundreds or thousands of innocent Somalis through Iranian tactics of swarming it with hundreds of small crafts and their is only so many boats that 1 frigate can deal with and I hope it gets sunk to the bottom of our clear waters to be used as coral reefs.

And how many Russian towns and villages did the Somalian forces destroy?

Like I said earlier, if the Russkies want their ship back, my bet is that they will have it. Costs in manpower and materiel will be of no consequence to them.

It would be very similar if they attacked Australia,... sure we would fight, and perhaps give a reasonable account of ourselves, but in the end they would get what they wanted.

Last edited:
Unfortunately most of our countries have somewhat forgotten about just how terrible the real world can get... so much so to the point where our military has to play nice. The Russians apparently don't have this problem.
Somalians, be afraid, be very afraid.
The issue with maybe the previous war was that the Russians wanted ideological and political control over the region. You realize this one ship has taken to sea probably with orders to use maximum force. No nation building, no backing of governments, no BS. Just a standard smash and possibly recover operation. The sort of mission the military loves.

In the previous war it wasn't about nation building they came to save the Ethiopians, and a 3rd world Somali Army bloodied the Soviets and their Cuban, Yemenis, East German and Ethiopian allies. The Islamic Courts have former Somali Army personnel among their ranks that know how to deal with Russians. How can you call yourself a superpower and lose 23 Migs to a 3rd world Somali air force with only 50 Migs in its arsenal.

Well yeah so they came to save the Ethiopians just like they went to Afghanistan decades ago to save the Communist government there. I told you, this time around it's different.
23 MiGs lost to Somali MiGs or SAMs?
Plus I don't think the Eastern Block armies of those days were really geared towards fighting wars far from their homeland. Aside from their Navy, their strategic reach has always looked quite limited though their ability to wage war close to home has never really been under question except perhaps in the 90's.

The only SAM defenses that Somalia had were located in Mogadishu, Hergaisa, Berbera, Kismanyo. But mostly SAMS were in Mogadishu. The Soviets never bombed Somalia proper nor did they ever come over Mogadishu, they limited their flights to protecting Ethiopian airspace and harrasing Somali ground forces inside Ethiopia. This freed up the limited air force Somalia had of 50 Migs from defending Somali air space to being able to challenge the Soviets on Ethiopian air space, the 23 Migs lost were inside Ethiopia; therefore, those Migs were lost to Somali air force Migs and not SAMS.

Very funny my friend, but thats besides the point, the point I was trying to make is that no matter how brutal or careless the Russians are portrayed, Somalia is one of the few nations that dealt with the Russians and came out without their country destroy and bloodied the Russian, that is a testament to the Somali military men, and basically that we know how to deal with the Russians and if they become involved in Somalia it will be another Chechnya for them.

Actually Russia's record away from home is very poor if you don't count what they did AFTER destroying a foreign army at home.
No the point is, you're talking about past glories and as it stands right now the Russians are going to kick your butts and if the pirates, government or Islamic Courts don't hand over the tanks to the Russians, portions of Somalia will become a Russian live fire training ground.

No Somalia won't become a live firing ground for the Russians, they send 1 frigate like it will do something, The Islamic Courts have former Somali army men and how many attacking speed boats can 1 frigate take out before some of those boats disable and sink the frigate. The same tactics the Iranian revolutionary guards are planning to use on the American ships in case of war, its called "swarming." The Russians will be losing a very expensive frigate to cheap speed boats if they unnecessarily bomb Somalia, the Somalis no matter their infighting have always set aside their differences when outsiders threaten the country and the Russians would not want face 10 million angry armed Somalis.

They don't need to face them. They just need to bombard them from afar. I can't say much for the frigate but no if you had hundreds of speed boats going against any modern warship they're going to be very short on virgins in heaven. You think speed boats don't appear on radar?
Either way, the pirates won't get the tanks and sympathizers like yourself will be bitterly disappointed.
Unless of course the Russians show an uncharacteristic softer side. Which I doubt.

EDIT:definetly expected more of you, common, 13th, your too old a soldier to talk like this about shooting people.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Redneck

I am not sympathizer of the pirates, you can portray me anyway you like but fact of the matter is I am just nationalistic. I am pro-Somalia, not pro anyone else or pro-pirates, when you and others advocate for attacking Somalia proper which have nothing to do with the pirates, and some like Bulldogg advocate for the massacre and genocide of a whole nation through nuking it well being Somali and the only Somali on this forum off course its only logical I step up for my people.

SHERMAN EDIT: Please leave the moderating to the moderators. Play nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back