Russia: U.S. still looking for WMDs in Iraq?

Lunatik

Russia has slammed what it calls the UN Security Council's hypocritical stance on the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

Russian Ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has accused the world body of adopting a double standard approach in dealing with the issue. He said members of the Council are ignorant about the essence of the Caucasus conflict, Russia Today reported on Friday.

The remarks were made after a Thursday's meeting of the Security Council during which the Western powers criticized Moscow's recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

"Russia violated the security zone patrolled by UN peacekeeping forces deployed by the UN Security Council," said Alejandro Daniel Wolff, US Representative to the UN. "In Abkhazia, Russia is violating not only the territorial integrity of Georgia, but also the integrity of this Council."

The US also said Russian troops should have never entered the territory of Georgia, a sovereign member of the international community. Churkin, however, hit back by referring to the US invasion and occupation of Iraq.

"I would like to ask the distinguished representative of the United States about....Weapons of Mass Destruction. Have you found them in Iraq yet or are you still looking for them"? Churkin said.

Churkin, however, said the international community had failed to act in response to Georgia's invasion of South Ossetia earlier this month.

"The US and some European states promised (Georgian President) Mr Saakashvili NATO's protection and have started supplying him with new weapons. It obviously invites fresh provocations," the Russian envoy said.

He also said that Moscow had called for a ceasefire in the early hours of the conflict but no one had supported it.

http://aljazeera.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=155783

Funny thing is that if you go back and read some of the 2002-2004 posts you will see that a lot of people predicted exactly what has happened.

It didn't take a great deal of political knowledge to realise that manufacturing reasons for invading Iraq and ignoring the UN was going to open the door for countries like Russia and China who know that they cannot be stopped militarily from doing exactly the same thing.

"I would like to ask the distinguished representative of the United States about....Weapons of Mass Destruction. Have you found them in Iraq yet or are you still looking for them"? Churkin said.

This has got to be among the funniest quotes ever recorded in the UN Security Council. He does have a point. :santa:

1220007179.jpg

This has got to be among the funniest quotes ever recorded in the UN Security Council. He does have a point. :santa:

1220007179.jpg
He has an excellent point.

That's the trouble when you bend or break your own rules, it will come back to bite you when you least need it.

What a position to have worked oneself into (enthusiastically). where the Russians of all people can question our morals.

And let's not forget this guy, who's responsible for the initial 9/11 attacks and many other terrorist activities around the world... Have we captured him? Or are we still looking after almost 7 years?

obl-rifle.jpg

And let's not forget this guy, who's responsible for the initial 9/11 attacks and many other terrorist activities around the world... Have we captured him? Or are we still looking after almost 7 years?

Does he have any oil shares?

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't retired and is living in Florida.

Why in hell's name would we wish to capture or kill him? Without him half of the argument for our fear mongers would evaporate. We wouldn't have a Bogey man. Al Quaeda would become a faceless entity, That would never do.

I just think that the US should shut up about the Russians since the Russians hasn't mention about the the invasion of Iraq..... well, ya know?

Personally I don't think playing the moral high ground, especially in an international group setting with your words on record is ever a good thing.
Just do as you do.
But as for the 2003 invasion... it was the combination of a lot of things that had gone wrong.
A US that was too sure of itself.
A Britain that may have trusted the US too much.
A UN that joked about its own resolutions.
A Europe that said "No" to America too often and too easily.
When something goes terribly wrong, it's usually because of a lot of things, rather than just one thing in itself.

As for Osama Bin Laden... I think the best thing to happen in a dictatorship is a bad guy that will never go away. In a democracy, what you want is a sweeping victory (capture Bin Laden) followed by a few years of peace interrupted by another new bad guy which will also be dealt with through a quick and fantastic victory. The bad guy that never dies is political suicide in a democracy.

Does he have any oil shares?

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't retired and is living in Florida.

If that :cen:er is in Florida I'll kill him with my bare hands and I'll skin him alive with my own teeth. Because of him I lost family and friends on 9/11.

Why in hell's name would we wish to capture or kill him?

It would be much better to capture rather than kill him. If he is killed he will become a martyr and that is not good. When we catch him we should shave all his facial hair off and stuff pork down his throat.

Back