Russia to start production of new Ka-52 helicopters in October

rock45

Still waiting on the Mi-28N to go into full production and now a second one.
Russia to start production of new Ka-52 helicopters in October

MOSCOW, October 13 (RIA Novosti) - The Progress aircraft maker, based in Russia's Far East, will start production of a new model of the Ka-52 Hokum-B attack/reconnaissance helicopter in October 2008, a company official said Monday. (Russian combat helicopters - Image gallery)
The Ka-52 is a twin-seat derivative of the Ka-50 Hokum-A attack helicopter, and is designed primarily for reconnaissance and target designation purposes. It is similar to the U.S. AH-64 Apache attack helicopter.
"The Kamov design bureau has successfully completed testing of the Ka-52 Hokum-B attack/reconnaissance helicopter and it has been adopted for service with the Russian Air Force," Konstantin Parshin said.
"The production of the helicopter will start in October at the Progress aircraft-manufacturing company," the official said.
Deliveries of the Ka-52 Hokum-B to the Russian Air Force will start in 2009.
According to its commander, Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin, the Russian Air Force will receive more than 100 new combat helicopters, including the Ka-52 and the Mi-28N Night Hunter, over a five-year period up to 2015.
The Kamov design bureau has said it plans to supply Ka-50 and Ka-52 helicopters to foreign customers in the future.

Link
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081013/117707666.html

ka-52-1.jpg

Ka-52 was being considered by Turkey for its own attack heli program, but then they decided to go with Italian/British Mangusta. They offered to Turkey local production, complete technology transfer and the ability to market the chopper to third countries. Not a bad deal. :smil:

italarmy_mangusta_1.jpg

If a NATO country bought them and hooked them up with Western avionics I think they'd be the best attack helicopter in the world, bar none. Especially the two-seater. Regular Ka-50 Black Sharks (Hokum isn't it's real name and it sounds retarded) are single-seaters with a lot of automation, but two people could really push it to its limits. IIRC the two-seater is used as the command aircraft in Russian service.

avionics and support

I question the avionics as well but also future support. It's new and Russia slow on the production side which means slow on the parts production and helicopters basically eat spare parts. Unless some type of deal like the one offered to Turkey for local production I might tend to shy away. Russia doesn't do new well look at the Flanker sales and support out there and you'll find issues. It's very different when you buy a Gripen, EF200, Vipers, etc compared to a Flanker, I assume it would be the same with helicopters.

India has Hip-8 going on almost 30 years of service. A brand new Hip-17 goes for $7/8 mil for a 30+ troop carrying transport is hard to beat. You will have to replace engines more and more upkeep, the NH90 carry's only 19/20 troops and cost a solid $10+ mil.

Don't know what a EC725 cost but that's a 30+ size troop carrier type.

Anybody know?

I agree the Blackhawk family is costly and I think priced itself out a certain markets and that NH90 has made used gains, at least on paper. Not every country is having a easy time them.

I wonder what the price range is for the newer Hueys. I bet they're ridiculously expensive.
Sometimes when you need something to get another thing from point A to point B, you don't need that thing to cost a fortune. In fact, the reality is that most countries can't afford such a thing.
Also Russian helicopters have been somewhat attractive because the Russians have been selling them for real cheap (at least to Korea) to pay for some of their debts.

Cost

I was reading that one of the problems in Colombia is that why should the US government pay for Blackhawk's for them when a $2 million dollar Huey II would just just fine.

EADS made helicopters are not cheap by any means either.

I wish there was somebody strong here in helicopters and prices and would like to understand the process better. I'm sure like aircraft there are offsets mixed in.

I like tables to compare things I would like to see a chart with some of the same class helicopters like:
HIP-17
EC725

And see range, speed, how many troops can they carry, how many tons of cargo can they carry, etc, and rough cost.

That is very easy to find out by internet:) The X factor is usually how good they really do the job...Its like I always say, let me drive it, shoot it, and maintain it and than ill tell if its good or not. On paper all new weapons are fantastic...:)

Testing

Not be being real military I can't fire it, fix it, or mainain, it etc, so having a nice and easy to read chart/table is useful, up to a point.
icon12.gif

Getting prices on heliocpters isnt easy most sales don't list all if any of the offsets.

Helicopters are a huge part of modern warefare and in a general way I wish I knew more about them. I follow aircraft much more and know there breakdowns better. There is more information about aircraft out there then heliciopters on the most part. Aircraft pilots and fighter pilot more so love talking trash about the aircraft. I've been at air shows where F-14 pilots were going off on Eagle pilots and so on, it would make you laugh.

Back