Russia’s new military doctrine

benaakatz

Moscow: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has approved the country's new military doctrine which includes the option of using nuclear strikes against potential aggressors.
According to Russian officials, the adjustment of the country's military doctrine was prompted by real threats and challenges facing Russia.
The following are important points from the document posted on the Kremlin's website:

The existing architecture of global security, including its mechanisms based on international law, does not ensure the equal security of all nations
Russia is facing an increased military threat from several directions

Some of the main external threats:
Attempts to expand NATO military infrastructure closer to Russian borders
Deployment (or expansion) of foreign military contingents on territories neighboring Russia or its allies
Development and deployment of missile defense systems which undermine global stability and disrupt the strategic balance of power, militarization of space and deployment of non-nuclear precision strategic weapons
Territorial claims against Russia and its allies
The use of military force on territories neighboring Russia in violation of the UN Charter and other norms of international law
The spread of global terrorism

Russia's military policy:
The main goal of the Russian Federation is to prevent a nuclear conflict as well as any other military conflict
Russia retains the right to use nuclear weapons in response to an attack against it or its allies with nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction, or in response to an aggression with the use of conventional weapons
Russia may use precision weapons systems for deterrence
Russia may send troops abroad to protect its national interests or its citizens in line with norms of international law, international agreements and federal legislation
The main tasks of the Russian Armed Forces during a time of war are to repel any aggression against Russia and its allies, to defeat the aggressor and to force it to stop military actions on conditions that meet the interests of the Russian Federation and its allies

What do you all think about it?

for long time the Russians have been acting like an old tiger.this is definitely sharp view adopted by Russia.well for long time they have been facing Chechen threat.now when China is emerging as a super power,they needed to change their stance.now i see a different zeal and enthusiasm in them to win back their reputation as a super power.

No real expert here but I would say Russia are just covering themselves for the points listed above. Okay they have started spending again but its military got in terrible shape due to lack of funds. Would say they are fully aware that they can't catch up after all they are fully aware of the Wests capabilities we show it to them on the TV regular enough. 40+% of all military spending is I think by the US so the gap can only widen.
China must be making them worry a bit to as they seem the guys that want a place on the table as no 2, decent military helps people listen & a good economy compared to most of the world in fact USA owes them well its stagering quite how much.

i think russia has the right to protect herself especially after an NATO provocations in the last few years.

I find it rather sad that Russia has to get so defensive when all people really want is Peace. I thought they have been doing great with all their interaction at UN and meetings with national leaders. Now, they are stepping backwards which won't win them friends but keep the rest of the world in state of mistrust. :crybaby:We should be neighbors, learn and grow together.

Back