Russia to Reintroduce Soviet-Era Military Training in School

Tvoi-Vrag

Banned
Russia to Reintroduce Soviet-Era Military Training in Schools
Created: 14.07.2005 11:31 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 15:54 MSK, 7 hours 52 minutes ago

MosNews

The upper house of the Russian parliament, the Federation Council, approved on Thursday a law that brings back basic military training as a mandatory subject in schools.

According to the federal law “On military duty and military service,” all citizens must be trained in the basics of military service.

According to the law “On education,” military training in civilian educational establishments is optional and requires the consent of students and their parents. The law approved on Thursday eliminated this contradiction and makes military training in schools obligatory, Interfax news agency reported.

School-based military training was an obligatory subject in the Soviet Union until it was cancelled in 1991.

Russias going red again, thats what happens when you elect a KGB operative as a president.

Well...

That is why Economic Reform > Political Turnovers. For third world countries, $$$ Cha-Ching > chaotic freedoms.

I am just curious what is holding the Russians back from economic reforms and development at the present time?

Corruption possibly, ive read that russias bureacracy is corrupt with the mafia and ogliarchs having large amounts of control through bribes and threats. God knows though russia is so large that the changes made in countries such czech republic were always going to take much longer.

It seems like its something between national service and what Hitler did with the Hitler Youth fellas, but nowhere near as ....evil i spose. You have to remember though, theyre only being revolutionary, pardon the pun, by making it compulsory. Plenty of countries have optional military service/training/education for minors. i'm one of them. The compulsory bit is a bit totalitarian though.

There is no reason to start thinking of a full scale draft :drill: and I doubt we'll see Russian soldiers deep into Western Europe due to this, but on the long term - who knows what happens...

LeatherNeckRVA said:
russia does have a full scale draft

Sergei Ivanov (Russian defense minister back in 2002) outlined several military reforms. As early as 2007 soldiers in the combat ready units would all be professionals and the percentage of draft-age youth who entered the armed forces dropped from 32 percent in 1994 to 20 percent in 1995

Their semi annual draft counts only 200.000 personell, deserting and suicide is a major problem in the Russian army as well as general public unrest. Full scale draft? I seriously doubt it...

Source: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/army-intro.htm

I've got a couple of russian buddies who recently became draft dodgers, I assumed it was full scale because all of my russian friends who turned 18 received draft notices. my mistake.

The soviets (sorry i still think of russia as that) have somewhat of the right idea. Today's youth needs a swift kick in the @$$. Most teenage males are nothing but girly men and wussies. We need the Super Macho heros for today's youth. I remember when i was a kid that G.I. Joe was the collest thing since slice bread. And when I joined the Civil Air Patrol, that was great. It kept me off the streets and thought me a lot of good lessons. How many kids (16 at the time) at my age could say that they knew how to fly a plane. Or got to ride in a tank. Not many, and that's partly why I'm against liberialism. Yes that's off topic. So i'll go back to the topic. And the draft is both good and bad. It should be that everyone does some time in unifrom, but if you go in as a drafte. You get the sh!t list of jobs. And it should be for a reserve type force too. Something like what the Swiss do. Their natonal militia type system. Wearing a uniform and serving your country really changes how you look at life. And our youth needs that swift kick. THe Russian got it right. The male youth like military things. It's normal. Biys play soldier will girls play house. Sorry, I'm not trying to be sexist or something. Just pointing out society.

^ I agree. I can think of nothing better for some of the youth today than some military discipline and experience.

Yep, i agree, keep them from loafing around and bludging off the government and give them some kind of purpose. Make them give back to society rather than just take all the time.

Rich.

I agree that military service is good for the youth, except serving in the Russian military is some of the worst experiences you can have. Desertion and suicides, yes, but the main problem that's very very very very widespread, out of which stems desertion and suicides, is something that they're not bothering to fix, and that is, "dedovshina", as it's called in Russian. It doesn't have a proper translation, it would mean something like "senioritis" or something. Young draftees are tortured, abused, beaten, almost enslaved by the senior soldiers who don't have much time left in the military, and it repeats on and on, as the ones who were once abused act the same way towards the new kids entering the service. It's a vicious circle, a loop that they won't come out of unless they install a fully contractual and professional military. Draft dodging is done by almost everyone who isn't in college and is of legal age. It's really sad.

I feel for quoting an old Dead Kennedys song; Kinky Sex Makes The World Go Round where it says:

"Now we know there's an alarmingly high number of young people
roaming around in your country with nothing to do but stir up trouble
for the police and damage private property. It doesn't look like they'll
ever get a job. It's about time we did something constructive with these
people"

I guess that applies for several countries :roll:

I can think of nothing better for some of the youth today than some military discipline and experience.

Thats all good and well, but (no offence) Australian army cadets are a bunch of little warie nutterz.

Back