Russia to open new military bases in Ukraine

Shmack

Russia plans to reinforce Black Sea fleet in Ukraine and open new military bases in response to NATO expansion to the East, edition Nezavisimaia Gazeta informs about it.
Submarine base acting in Soviet Union in Balaklava will be restored first of all. Museum belonging to Ukraine’s military – marine forces runs on the territory of the base now.
Ukraine may give its consent on opening military bases in the mouth of Nikolaev, Odessa and Dunai.
Commander of Russian Black Sea Fleet Aleksandre Kletskov states that the government is working on not only modernization of the fleet but on plans of equipping Russian militants in Sevastopol and Crimea. Black Sea Fleet modernization plan is calculated till 2020.
http://www.geotimes.ge/index.php?m=home&newsid=21598

Some of you might know that Balaklava used to be a unique 'underground' sub base (codename K-825). It was built in 1957-1961 in order to protect submarines from a direct nuclear strike against the base, so that retaliatory strike could be possible. It was operated until early 90's, abandoned, ransacked, and later turned into museum. I'd like to remind you that at this moment, Russian Black Sea Fleet posesses only one single submarine (Kilo class), while K-825 is capable of storing 14. And it's going to be re-opened. Very interesting.

Great!
paranoia brings out "justified" military race to... hmhm... really- what the hell is all this showing/expanding is for? official lines are laughable (Nuclear strike by whom?- NATO- useless anyway if such would happen; Iran, well they kind of friends of) enough of rhetorics about politicized BS from me...

Great!
paranoia brings out "justified" military race to... hmhm... really- what the hell is all this showing/expanding is for? official lines are laughable (Nuclear strike by whom?- NATO- useless anyway if such would happen; Iran, well they kind of friends of) enough of rhetorics about politicized BS from me...
Hmm.. i wouldn't call that expansion, simply because there is nothing to expand. The Black Sea Fleet is capable of just annihilating ports in countries like Georgia or fighting some pirates in the Aden sea. It might seem strange, but Russia's fleet on the Black Sea is weaker than the Turkish one (well, if we're not taking maritime aviation into account). So, i'd call that reinforcement. I believe you would agree that 1 half-dead submarine, 1 missile cruiser, and 3 frigates is not quite enough for something called Fleet.

Hmm.. i wouldn't call that expansion, simply because there is nothing to expand. The Black Sea Fleet is capable of just annihilating ports in countries like Georgia or fighting some pirates in the Aden sea. It might seem strange, but Russia's fleet on the Black Sea is weaker than the Turkish one (well, if we're not taking maritime aviation into account). So, i'd call that reinforcement. I believe you would agree that 1 half-dead submarine, 1 missile cruiser, and 3 frigates is not quite enough for something called Fleet.

Agreed. Black Sea fleet has about 40 ships, most at Sevastopol, some at Novorossiysk, some in Abkhazia. Many of them are 30 years or older. Youngest one was built in late 80s, I think.

Back