Russia may sell more MiG-29K carrier fighters to India

rock45

Before selling anymore Mig-29K's maybe Russia should deliver the first batch of 16-k, 4,KUB, Fulcrums ordered in 2004.

Russia may sell more MiG-29K carrier fighters to India

20:46 | 24/ 09/ 2008
MOSCOW, September 24 (RIA Novosti) - Talks on additional deliveries of MiG-29K Fulcrum-D carrier fighters to India will start in the near future, the president of Russia's United Aircraft Corporation said Wednesday.
Russia and India signed a contract on January 20, 2004, stipulating the delivery of 12 single-seat MiG-29K and four two-seat MiG-29KUB by 2009, to be deployed on the Admiral Gorshkov, currently being retrofitted in Russia for the Indian Navy.
There is an option in the contract to supply an additional 30 fighters by 2015.
"The negotiations on the Admiral Gorshkov delivery will end sooner or later, and we hope in the near future to start talks on additional delivery of MiG-29K fighters to India," Alexey Fyodorov said.
However, the head of Russia's state technology corporation, Sergei Chemezov, said that it was premature to talk about a deadline for the Admiral Gorshkov delivery.
"The evaluation of additional work on Admiral Gorshkov modernization has not been done yet and it is too early to hold talks on the completion," he said.
India, one of the biggest buyers of Russian weaponry, has been upset by a series of delays in Russia's reconfiguration of the Admiral Gorshkov from a vertical-takeoff platform into a classic aircraft carrier.
After long-running delays and disputes, Russia and India agreed in February to raise refit costs for the aircraft carrier, berthed at the Sevmash shipyard in north Russia for the past 12 years.
The carrier, renamed the Vikramaditya, is to replace India's INS Viraat carrier, which although still operational is 50 years old.
India agreed the $1.5 billion deal for the Admiral Gorshkov in 2004. Moscow has since demanded an additional $1.2 billion, which New Delhi replied was "exorbitant."
The contract to deliver the Admiral Gorshkov to India, signed by state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport with the Indian Navy, covers the modernization of the ship and equipping it with modern weaponry, including MiG-29K Fulcrum aircraft and Ka-27 Helix-A and Ka-31 Helix-B anti-submarine helicopters.

Link
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080924/117080763.html

MIG released an update spring 2009 so almost five plus years to make twenty gutted out Mig-29C frames into K models. I guess putting on the bendy type wings takes a long time.

Go India
India may order more with a delivery of 2015. :stupid:

I guess they'd still be on schedule for countering Pakistan's JF-17s?

AIR_FC-1_JF-17_Below_lg.jpg

Aircraft

I'm rooting for India's Mig-29 their current fleet to be brought up to newer modern standards. With 60 or maybe 70 frames this seems like a worthwhile investment since the maintenance shops, tooling, parts production, and know how is in place.

India's aircraft industry and government decision making drives me insane because of the length of time they take. If China had a good radar & missile combo ready for production I think Pakistan may field a squadron or two of JF-17s before India makes a decision.

You have take the JF-17 for what it is and not try and turn into a poor man’s F-16, which it cannot be. For Pakistan with F-16s coming slow (deliveries should be stop but that’s another story) they needs a more modern platform across the board, the JF-17 does that. The ROSE upgraded Mirages Pakistan uses are past their usefulness on a modern battle field. The J-7s are another aircraft which has severed well but is past its time both of these fighters could be replaced with the JF-17 which would increase Pakistan’s capabilities overall.

The Russian engine has a short life span compared to the US made engines in their F-16s; Pakistan will adjust to them for a time being because they need modern frames. I think in time an all Chinese produce engine will equipped the second batch. The fact that Pakistan’s government is looking at French RC400 radar & engines tell me that what China currently offering isn’t what their use is to.

I do not think India should go with a Russian type for the 126 aircraft purchase that’s been going on for nine years now.

Back