Russia may participate in international peace keeping forces in Mideast

sandy

http://newsfromrussia.com/main/2003/09/17/50011.html
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov said Russia may take part in international peace-keeping forces in the Middle East.

"If a relevant decision is made by the UN Security Council, most likely, a question will arise to engage Russia in the fulfillment of the task," Fedotov told journalists Wednesday in Moscow.

"It would be useful to bring international forces or international observers into the conflict zone to ensure control over the parties' fulfillment of their obligations and statements of "the road map", Fedotov said.

"The UN Security Council's inability to adopt a resolution requiring the Israeli Government to withhold from Yasser Arafat's deportation confirms the necessity of stepping up international efforts to overcome the crisis," the deputy foreign minister added.

Fedotov also emphasised that "Russia proposes to follow the path of increased pressure on the conflicting sides." At present, said Fedotov, the regulations of "the road map" remain advisory for the conflicting sides.

"It is necessary to continue the development of general political platform that would provide fulfillment of "the road map" regulations," said the deputy minister.

In this connection, he continued, the future meeting of the four international mediators at the level of foreign ministers is of great significance.

About damn time to Soviets...err... Russians get off their collective arses and do somehting to help ride to world of terrorism.

Maybe instead of selling arms to Iraq and Iran, they help down the SOBs that want to blow to schools and childern.

5.56X45mm said:
About damn time to Soviets...err... Russians get off their collective arses and do somehting to help ride to world of terrorism.

Maybe instead of selling arms to Iraq and Iran, they help down the SOBs that want to blow to schools and childern.

I wouldn't think that one(a participation in the UN peacekeeping missions) will stop the other(deals with the rogue regimes).

I wouldn't want my Izraeli friends be guarded by the Russians. Some of their NCO's and officers used to sell the weapons and even own soldiers to the Afghans and the Chechens. Would you expect their neutrality between the Arabs and the Jews?

I have read the accounts of the Ukrainian service in Iraq - it's disgrace!
Their officers were thieving from their own people!

And one more reminder: the march to Pristina. Do you remember what happened the last time when the Russians were "participating" in the international peacekeeping?

Back