Russia to Donate 2 Helicopters, 50 APCs to Palestinian Autonomy

Marwan

palestina.jpg

Russia is expected to donate 50 armored personnel carriers (APCs) and two Mi-17 transport helicopters to Palestine, the RIA-Novosti news agency reported on Monday quoting a source close to negotiations.

“We will supply the equipment to Palestine as aid,” the source said.

The arrangement, including financing, has already been agreed on by all the ministries involved. However, it is not yet clear when the deliveries will take place, the source said. The relevant issues have also been agreed on with Israel, the source added.

In February Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said: “We supplied military equipment to the Palestinians earlier. They recently approached us with a request for more equipment, including APCs. This request is being studied, and the Russian leaders support it.”

In October, Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said Defense Ministry and Interior Ministry officials were visiting Palestine to look into the possibility of providing assistance to Palestinian security forces and police.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/12/26/palestine.shtml

Palestine has a right to defend their Country as much as any other. Now, maybe the radicals who are trying to stop any peace agreements can be handled by the Palestinian security forces who, so far have been outgunned by the PLO. As long as this doesn't start an arms race with Russia and America using Israel and Palestine as pawns.

Very likely scenario Missileer. I think this is just a further step in Putin's recent media blitz attempting to distance Russia from the rest of the world in the eyes of the Arab countries where his newly formed gas pipeline company will be working. Trying to look like the benefactor of Muslims to get favourable terms when bidding no doubt.

Very likely scenario Missileer. I think this is just a further step in Putin's recent media blitz attempting to distance Russia from the rest of the world in the eyes of the Arab countries where his newly formed gas pipeline company will be working. Trying to look like the benefactor of Muslims to get favourable terms when bidding no doubt.

Yeah i agree PLO has pretty much taken over palestine but this should atleast help out with the police forces that are still struggling with the insurgents over there, I'm guessing they are BTR-60, what are your thoughts on the APCS?.

Having not been there but going off impressions I have of the whole mess it seems like the APC is the appropriate "police car" for the region. Lord knows if I were attempting to keep the peace in Palestine/Israel I would want as much armour between me and the rest of society as I could get ahold of.

PLO - BAD!!!!!

Palestine - NOT REAL COUNTRY

They aren't a people, they have no national history, and they have no cultural history. Untill they drop the whole terrorism and double talk. I will not give them any sherd of respect.

Their new president is at least trying to change things, why not at least give him the tools to do it?

I dont agree with a lot of the stuff Russia does now days, but I really think that this can help bring some peace to the region.

So long as they are transport choppers and not attack choppers that's okay.

However, can't the MI-17 be very very easily loaded with TONS of rockets, guns, etc?

Whispering Death said:
So long as they are transport choppers and not attack choppers that's okay.

However, can't the MI-17 be very very easily loaded with TONS of rockets, guns, etc?

it can

btw, it is a good chopper for heli-borne operations!

Back