Russia and America

Darcia

Do You think Russia and America will ever be able too make peace. Even today Though the USSR is gone thier is still a strong hate between the two.

I think we have come extremely far in better relations. I cant remember the last time I heard anything along the lines of anti-russian.

after the school attack where over 300 people died, Russia says it stands with the US in its fight against terrorism. That's not exactly hatred.

Yes but you have to admit thier is a stronge amount of...well maybe not hate but just not exactly freindliness. I think the Russians may hate America a little due to the fact America won the Cold War and the Russian Empire dissolved after only around 90 years and America is still going strong.

Nope, not as long as they have a communist government in power. But I don't blame them for that, democracy isn't for everyone. But as long as Putin is around or anyone else from the KGB or former Soviet Union you can bet that they'll be on our :cen: list.

Last I saw, it was 60-65% of the Russian people didn't trust and didn't like the United States at all. Probably better than you'd have likely seen during the height of the Cold War I suppose, but it surprised me how poorly regarded we are. Americans in general aren't holding any bitterness against them, so I guess it surprises us to learn that they see us in a very disfavorable light.

Nope, not as long as they have a communist government in power. But I don't blame them for that, democracy isn't for everyone. But as long as Putin is around or anyone else from the KGB or former Soviet Union you can bet that they'll be on our list.

Ahmmm...The Russain govronment is elected democraticly, and dose not regard itself at all as communist. And while the civil rights in Russia are not as developed as in the USA, its still a democracy in my eyes.

SHERMAN said:
Ahmmm...The Russain govronment is elected democraticly, and dose not regard itself at all as communist. And while the civil rights in Russia are not as developed as in the USA, its still a democracy in my eyes.

Not for long in my opinion. This is Putins second term but his party has two thirds majority in the duma so he can push forth a change in the constitution which will allow him to run for a third term or possibly even for life like Lukashenko in Belarus.

SHERMAN said:

Well I was talking about the reminants of the Soviet Government still being in power. Just because you have an elected official doesn't mean the government was democratic (Saddam Hussien). I'm not saying the elections in Russia were rigged or anything, but how can the US be expected to trust a government with the former head of the KGB as their president?

Hegario said:
Not for long in my opinion. This is Putins second term but his party has two thirds majority in the duma so he can push forth a change in the constitution which will allow him to run for a third term or possibly even for life like Lukashenko in Belarus.

along those lines, the intel community wouldn't be surprised at all if Putin pushes for a communist government again anyway.

egoz said:
along those lines, the intel community wouldn't be surprised at all if Putin pushes for a communist government again anyway.

The communist party doesn't even have any minister-positions. I'd say the autocrats, oligarchs & ultra-nationalists in Russia are more of a threat than the communists. Their agenda might include reinstating the Soviet Union but they are not the same communist as before, more like social democrats. A communist takeover now is about as ridiculous as a communist takeover in the USA in the 1950's.

egoz said:
Hegario said:

god damn, noone will become a communists again..

I think that Putin or someone like him becoming absolute dictator is the greater worry. Odds are good considering how badly things have been going for the Russians.

Putin will not have next 4 years term. They cannot turn the Clock back to USSR time anymore. When you become "Democratic" then you will NEVER be able to go back to "Dictatorship" anymore, I believe.

they may go autocratic, putin seems to be doing a good job of suppressing his political rivals, the media is largely under kremlin control. how is he going to be voted out of office? if theres a limit to time in office that could change

Putin has said he would like to have more power and has spoke of having an amendment done to give him More Power

But Look alot of nations when from Democracy to Dictatorship.

that was mainly in the 1920s-30s though, but there are similarities as it was in the time of the great depression and russia is just recovering from a depression, which is when the likes of hitler/mussolini took power. (im not comparing putin to either of them)

Back