Russia Admits China Illegally Copied Its Fighter - Page 2

--

February 20th, 2009  
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan-MiG
What..?

Soviet conventinal technology [Tanks, APC's, small arms and such] were VERY different from western weapons. Ak-47 wasnt based on the M16 [It couldnt be though, M16 came out way after the Ak], though it was based on the Stg44, as [i think] all assault rifles during post war were. Most of the now modern Russian designs are based on Ak-47

T-62/72 etc were not like western tanks, they were so much cheaper and easier to produce.

APC's were also different.

Only times when technology might be similar is if they are to counter the other sides version [Like, Russia builds a super mega tank, America counters it with a similar design]
I was thinking more in terms of fire control, communication, IT infrastructure and aerodynamic design. You're right, should've been more specific.
March 6th, 2009  
ditou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan-MiG
Oh yes, i know that. Both sides copied each other occasionally.
2 superpowers always have so many things to argue..
March 6th, 2009  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
There are examples to Russia using information gained by espionage or otherwise to use western technology. Just off the top of my head the British Jet engine Rolls Royce Nene was LEGALLY bought by the russians, than copied and used on the Mig-15 illigally.
Actually the Soviets didnt buy the Rolls Royce Nene, it was presented to them as a gift by the British Labour Party.

The Soviet trade commission visited the Rolls Royce factory wearing crepe soled shoes so that the soles would pick up material from the lathes. The material was then analysed by the Soviets, enabling them to reverse engineer the engine using the correct materials.

When Stalin heard about the Rolls engine, he was heard to say, "What fools gives away their secrets?" Who indeed.

The engine was indeed used on the MIG15
--
March 6th, 2009  
mmarsh

Its not the first time. The Isreali KFIR is a copy of the Mirage III, after the French put an embargo on Isreal.
March 18th, 2009  
Damien435

A country that doesn't respect international copyright laws stole the designs for a military aircraft in violation of said laws? I'm something less than shocked.
March 19th, 2009  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
A country that doesn't respect international copyright laws stole the designs for a military aircraft in violation of said laws? I'm something less than shocked.
WOW!
I agree.

I'm totally shocked!
March 19th, 2009  
The Other Guy

I knew it...
March 19th, 2009  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
I knew it...
Does that mean you are a "Know it all"?
March 19th, 2009  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
Does that mean you are a "Know it all"?
Isn't harassing members against forum rules?
-----------
It was certainly suspicious that the Chinese came out with such a modern fighter only a short time after the J-8 fiasco-- no one can advance 30 years in fighter technology in a matter of maybe a year or so without help.
March 20th, 2009  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Isn't harassing members against forum rules?
It was in jest.

Chill out man. You must have a guilty conscience.